How to switch between Stable and Frontline, and why

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
As of Version 0.56g, I've just officially branched the releases, and there's now an actual reason to switch between the two builds!

If you don't know what I'm talking about, there are two releases: Stable and Frontline. Everyone who has the game on Steam can access both.

The Stable version is updated pretty seldom, but it's going to be more stable than the Frontline version, which will have more stuff but be a bit more prone to crashing.

If you want to participate actively as a beta tester, then using Frontline is a must. At the end of each Stable cycle, the Stable release will be so far behind what we're doing right now that discussion would often be pointless, and as a tester you won't be able to try out your suggestions even if we do implement them.

A downside worth noting is that frontline saves can't be used in Stable until the Stable version has caught up! Loading a Frontline character in the Stable build might break the save, so the game simply won't let you do it. What determines whether or not a save is compatible is simply the version number, so when the Stable version has caught up you'll be able to load your character there again!

Everyone who was active here before the pre-order release should know what to expect from the Frontline releases. There are bugs, but crash bugs usually gets taken care of within a day or two. Frontline is usually patched once a week, sometimes several times a week, and sometimes every other week. EDIT: This estimate was accurate when we worked with more bug intensive, self-encapsulating features such as skills, arcade mode, etc. Right now we're doing story progression and core content, which makes less sense to update in small chunks. Thus, the most accurate "estimate" we can give, honestly, is "the Frontline will update as soon as there is something that needs testing, while Stable will update when the game has made significant progress.

How to change version

1) First, open up Steam and go into your Library:
SwitchBuild01.png
2) Right click on Secrets of Grindea
3) Click on Properties (should be the last option)
SwitchBuild02-03.png
4) In the window that pops up, select the Betas tab
SwitchBuild04.png
5) Click on the drop down list to reveal its contents
6) Select "frontline"
SwitchBuild05-06.png
And that's that!

After you close the window, the game should re-download, and you'll now start receiving Frontline patches! Thanks for helping us test the game!

Last edited:

Floh-mit-Keks

Green Slime
Will it cause problems, if I change often between Frontline and Stable?

Cause I'm thinking about playing Stable with my friends and Frontline when I'm alone.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Will it cause problems, if I change often between Frontline and Stable?

Cause I'm thinking about playing Stable with my friends and Frontline when I'm alone.

Switching between them won't cause any problems in itself, but there can be side effects when it comes to save files.

Since save files are only forward compatible, not backward, you should probably reserve one character for Frontline, and play another character on the stable. Using a character from a recent version in an old release can result in the save file becoming corrupt!

I try to keep the risk of this of a minimum, by appending additions to the end of save files, but sometimes I can't do that, which will break compatibility.

Floh-mit-Keks

Green Slime
I think I will try to persuade my friends to play Frontline, if this won't work I have to be extra careful with my characters and seperate them. Anyway, thanks for your quick response <3

Sunnieh

Green Slime
Sorry if its a stupid Qustion?!
But when i play Frontline can i coop with Stable too or can just the same play togather ?

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
That's only possible as long as they share the same version number! After that, everyone must use the same version in order to connect.

I'm going to implement a warning system that displays a message when trying to load a character from a new release from inside an old release. Or maybe I'll even make it impossible... if a character gets bugged they might start generating lots of errors that make no sense and just serve to confuse me :p

EDIT: I've added a feature to the Stable release that will refuse to load any save files of a later edition!

Last edited:

Don Sar

Green Slime
Guys, I cannot find the game on steam in order to switch to frontline. I bought the $15 version and I can only launch the game though the desktop shortcut. Any help?

ark626

YOu have to go to your humblebundle account and get the game to steam connect your humble bundle account to steam and retrieve your SoG key

Zeo

Green Slime
Well since I'm not busy, I think I'm gonna do some frontline testing! Hopefully I'll be able to help out instead of just playing beta because I can. :p

Maya

Green Slime
How do i get the game to steam? i downloaded the game through the website and i know there's the steam code thingy but how do i use it?

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
How do i get the game to steam? i downloaded the game through the website and i know there's the steam code thingy but how do i use it?
In the bottom left corner of the steam window there is a thing that says "+ Add a game". Click on that and choose "Activate a Product on Steam". Click next until it asks you to put in a game key, put in your key and finish the installation. Now Steam will download your game and you'll be able to play soon enough. :D

Last edited:

Maya

Green Slime
In the bottom left corner of the steam window there is a thing that says "+ Add a game". Click on that and choose "Activate a Product on Steam". Click next until it asks you to put in a game key, put in you key and finish the installation. Now Steam will download your game and you'll be able to play soon enough. :D

Thanks you so much! it is now downloading, funny thing is that iv'e just posted a thread on general discussion about that xD although maybe it will help some people

da_ninja_monkey

Green Slime
If you don't know what I'm talking about, there are two releases: Stable and Frontline. Everyone who has the game on Steam can access both.

After you close the window, the game should re-download, and you'll now start receiving Frontline patches! Thanks for
helping us test the game!

would you rather have more people testing fontline or have some stay back and find bugs in stable?