New Game+

Aurophobia

Halloweed
Will this be implemented?

IMO great way to add replay value in such a simple way by scaling up mobs, possibly adding new enemy moves to normals and bosses, new game+ versions of materials for crafting, etc.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
There are many interpretations of what a New Game+ is, but one of my own post release dreams is to create some form of nightmare difficulty that will be simply ridiculous. The systems for scaling is already there, considering the game scales both with number of players and difficulty setting. The biggest question would probably be whether or not the old character's level and equipment would carry over or not!

If you want a challenge, the current Hard difficulty is quite the step up already though!

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
New game+ (being a step up from Hard difficulty) would make Arcade mode look easy. :D If Story mode interacted with Arcade mode as much as it is the other way around right now that would bring more gameplay to Arcade mode. I'm talking about quests only available in a New Game+, or maybe even on Hard difficulty, that brings quests, NPCs and maybe even some Essence of Grindea to your Arcade mode. You could even have quests bounce between Arcade and Story so that when you finish a quest on Arcade a new one appears in Story and so on, maybe leading up to some super hard boss fights in both worlds that drops the sweetest of all the sweet, sweet loot one could ever imagine. (Just some crazy ideas.) :p

As for whether to keep level and equipment from your old character in a New Game+ I think that equipment could be kept (not your cards) but you start out as level 1. Most New Game+ I've seen/played let's you do that and I think it's a good system. New Game+ could be your Nightmare difficulty but you keep your equipment. That way you could offer the even greater challange where you start out fresh in your worst nightmare. ;)

LawlMak3r

Green Slime
Will there be some kind of "hardcore" difficulty, where if you die, it is game over and you would have to start all over? Sort of like a challenge run, which lasts throughout the whole game.

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
You don't really need a hardcore setting since you can just delete your character if you die. :p
But yeah it wouldn't really take much I guess to implement somthing like that.

Aurophobia

Halloweed
I would prefer to keep at LEAST level carried over the a new game+. Equipment through quests could be reobtained (that way I couldn't just skip through all the side quests and rush through the end), unless like I stated before, make equipment scaled up through obtaining new materials ( +versions of pelts / hides).

I would not really want to play the game all over again on a harder difficulty if I don't carry over anything. That, and unless there is going to be enough content for me to max a few skills (and more skills are coming apparently), why would I choose playing the same game over again, over playing some other game? What is my incentive?

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Yeah, fair point. It would probably be more fun if the game is scaled for an endgame character, basically. Perhaps with a few bonus items only obtainable in that mode. I'm sure we'll come up with something that people will find enjoyable! We'll have to finish the core game before doing anything of the sort, after all, so we have time to think and discuss :D

Will there be some kind of "hardcore" difficulty, where if you die, it is game over and you would have to start all over? Sort of like a challenge run, which lasts throughout the whole game.

It's likely I'll add this at some point, since it would be pretty easy to implement, and there are plenty out there who like heart attacks!