Version 0.599a

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Patch 0.599a

Summary: This surprise patch features some small changes, bug fixes and one important addition: a release candidate implementation of the Temple of Seasons boss! Currently, it's mechanics only, meaning the boss have no cutscenes and beating him does not actually progress the game. Also, the room visuals and some boss related graphics are not final.

The reason why we do this update is to stay true to the promise of updating the game in smaller pieces, whenever we want feedback on something new. We figured we might as well collect feedback on the boss battle while we're working on the padding (i.e. cutscenes)!

So, if you don't mind battling the boss without the proper cutscene, jump in, try him out and tell us how it felt!

Additions
  • The BAUS has been added to the Temple of Seasons
Changes
  • The Lumber Axe no longer does a billion trillion damage
  • A Summer Mage constant spawn has been added to the small battle room in the right Season Temple wing
Bug Fixes
  • It's no longer possible to get stuck in the water in the water puzzle by changing season to summer while standing on the ice
  • One shotting a Season Mage before it has fully spawned no longer grants it undead powers of destruction
  • Killing an Autumn Knight doing a tornado empowered whirlslash no longer leaves a faux whirlwind behind forever
  • Moving between game menu tabs using the shoulder buttons of a controller now works with the new crafting tab
  • Unknown items will once again appear as black silhouettes in the preview window to the left
  • When going into the crafting menu, the preview appear immediately (previously you had to move the cursor)
  • Mushrooms from the Autumn Hydra should no longer be infinitely stackable on the same spot for no conceivable benefit
  • Translations will now have stylized texts (such as main menu strings) properly updated upon loading the new translation
  • Zapping chickens with Chain Lightning no longer shatters the universe (but it's still pretty mean)
  • Insect Swarm damage has been nerfed slightly while waiting for a potential rework

Momizi

Rabby
the boss was fun, tho he had abit too much HP
i might have beenin him easyer if there was a new 1handed drop insted of the lazer sword

After dying two times with my frost mage (How is that even possible? Him and me should rather bring eternal winter to the universe!) I finally managed to beat him on normal difficulty. Hes not too hard or not too easy in my opinion. What I really like about the boss is the diverse skillset, every time I died, he used new skills like his thousands fists or his ice thorn labyrinth on me. Great replay value!

Oh, but my frosty friend didn't take any damage from his attacks, at least as far as I remember. Bug or feature?

Oh, and...

Bug Fixes
  • Translations will now have stylized texts (such as main menu strings) properly updated upon loading the new translation

I highly approve of this <3 Onward to new translation tools!

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
I like that there are some patterns that forces you to take damage. Like when he teleports around the place and uses his ice spikes. If you're unlucky you get stuck and can't move without taking damage. Another good thing is when he uses his snow storm ability and you get stuck in the middle of the screen only to later be mowed down by a new gust of snow and ice. If you get stuck in the middle of the screen in that snowstorm phase and a gust of snow and ice hits you there you have no escape and you die 100%. Maybe you should nerf how much it covers the screen or make it possible to run to safety if you do manage to get stuck in the middle of it. (I had like 95% of the screen covered in my first attempt to fight him)

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
I LOVE how insane this battle gets when he is low on HP :D
I fought him with lv 17 char with silver Shadow Clone and it took me 3 tries on normal. Well, game gets harder as you progress, so I think he is at right difficulty. He has much HP, but with long breaks he is making, this isn't very problematic. At least with Laser Sword.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
I like that there are some patterns that forces you to take damage. Like when he teleports around the place and uses his ice spikes. If you're unlucky you get stuck and can't move without taking damage. Another good thing is when he uses his snow storm ability and you get stuck in the middle of the screen only to later be mowed down by a new gust of snow and ice. If you get stuck in the middle of the screen in that snowstorm phase and a gust of snow and ice hits you there you have no escape and you die 100%. Maybe you should nerf how much it covers the screen or make it possible to run to safety if you do manage to get stuck in the middle of it. (I had like 95% of the screen covered in my first attempt to fight him)

The storms are not supposed to come in patterns that leave no place to run. If a wind starts to blow in the middle of two active winds (of the same direction), one of those will immediately vanish, letting you move on. If you did indeed get stuck with nowhere to run, it's a bug!

That being said, it might be too difficult on normal, since the winds can still force you to move around on a very small space, and getting struck by the winds lead to a lot of damage. We'll have to wait for more feedback, I think!

Regarding the teleport-spikes, I think it should be impossible to get entirely unfair damage but it requires you to stay on the bottom half of the map (since he'll only teleport to spots on the top side). This is of course entirely unclear the first time you see the pattern, and perhaps it stays unclear even after you've seen it a few times?

If a lot of people get caught off guard on that particular pattern and cannot figure it out, then it surely is problematic and should be reworked.

(Are you playing on Normal or Hard btw?)

GarlicJelly

I LOVE how insane this battle gets when he is low on HP :D
I fought him with lv 17 char with silver Shadow Clone and it took me 3 tries on normal. Well, game gets harder as you progress, so I think he is at right difficulty. He has much HP, but with long breaks he is making, this isn't very problematic. At least with Laser Sword.
My character is level 14 with the iron sword and I didn't have a problem to beat him, on Normal at least. His HP and attacks are fine but I guess there is some really unlucky RNG that hit me the first tries.

GarlicJelly

The storms are not supposed to come in patterns that leave no place to run. If a wind starts to blow in the middle of two active winds (of the same direction), one of those will immediately vanish, letting you move on. If you did indeed get stuck with nowhere to run, it's a bug!

That being said, it might be too difficult on normal, since the winds can still force you to move around on a very small space, and getting struck by the winds lead to a lot of damage. We'll have to wait for more feedback, I think!

Regarding the teleport-spikes, I think it should be impossible to get entirely unfair damage but it requires you to stay on the bottom half of the map (since he'll only teleport to spots on the top side). This is of course entirely unclear the first time you see the pattern, and perhaps it stays unclear even after you've seen it a few times?

If a lot of people get caught off guard on that particular pattern and cannot figure it out, then it surely is problematic and should be reworked.

(Are you playing on Normal or Hard btw?)
I was staying about the same height as his teleports and got stuck in a tiny space where I couldn't dodge his snow fist attack. Most of the time I'm on the top half of the screen so I can sneak in hits on him as soon as the ice melts.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
I was staying about the same height as his teleports and got stuck in a tiny space where I couldn't dodge his snow fist attack. Most of the time I'm on the top half of the screen so I can sneak in hits on him as soon as the ice melts.

When making the decision to stay top in order to get extra damage in, was the added danger part of the calculation? If your priorities would've been to just not take damage, would you have stayed on the bottom side of the room instead?

GarlicJelly

When making the decision to stay top in order to get extra damage in, was the added danger part of the calculation? If your priorities would've been to just not take damage, would you have stayed on the bottom side of the room instead?
Not so much the first time I saw the attack but after seeing it 3-4 times I understood where he would shoot out the ice spikes so I could more easily dodge the incoming damage but I wouldn't say that I sought breathing space in the bottom half of the room. My mind was set on killing him as quickly as I could so I were taking more risks, maybe a bit too many since I got killed like 5 times before I beat him. :p

Benjamin Dean

Green Slime
I do feel on normal difficulty there are often times when you end up in a situation where its impossible or nearly impossible to avoid damage. One possible bug I got a couple times is he would land directly on my character when he would do ice spikes and it seemed that the one time it happened it instant killed my character.

He threw down a barrage of fists that covered all but the very bottom of the map, and then he summoned a wind there that wiped me from almost full health. This was on hard btw.

GarlicJelly

This looks easy. Right? (I'm playing on Hard this time so maybe this is supposed to happen)
SoG Season Temple Winter Boss OP.png

GarlicJelly

Nope, it looks hard! :p (but certainly not impossible)
Yeah most of it actually became easier to dodge after playing it a few times. There are still some occasions where you can't evade damage but I think it's fine. If you're playing on Normal with crappy gear (speedrunning gear) the fight is still possible even if you can't dodge every attack and the forced damage patterns also forces the player to focus extra hard on not taking too much damage on the easy parts. I like the battle but sadly my speedrunning gear and character couldn't beat the boss on Hard. He has sooooooo much HP and there is no way I can dodge all his attacks for like 10-15 minutes. XD

Teddy

I think this is coming a bit late, sorry for that :p

In Toy Factory, there is no room that respawn forever atleast Gift and Present enemies. The only place they do, is in the boss room while we don't kill him. after that, if they didn't drop their cards, it is completly impossible to collect them. They will never appear again in the Toy Factory.

Is it planned to make this same enemies appear later in the game?

If not, I think, you should do one of two ideas:
1- make the room with the count down panel, inside Toy Factory, to respawn them forever after killing the boss or
2- increase a lot this 2 cards drop rate to make them appear with a very small number of kills,
otherwise we will never be able to collect this 2 cards after complete Toy Factory.

I like the first idea.

GarlicJelly

Teddy

I think this is coming a bit late, sorry for that :p

In Toy Factory, there is no room that respawn forever atleast Gift and Present enemies. The only place they do, is in the boss room while we don't kill him. after that, if they didn't drop their cards, it is completly impossible to collect them. They will never appear again in the Toy Factory.

If not, I think, you should do one of two ideas:
1- make the room with the count down panel, inside Toy Factory, to respawn them forever after killing the boss or
2- increase a lot this 2 cards drop rate to make them appear with a very small number of kills,
otherwise we will never be able to collect this 2 cards after complete Toy Factory.

I like the first idea.
I've thought about this myself and I think that maybe the memory room for the Toy Factory might solve this issue. Otherwise there would probably be a new place where you can find them.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Teddy

In Toy Factory, there is no room that respawn forever atleast Gift and Present enemies.

I think what we've planned is that the buggers will appear in the area right outside the Toy Factory after you beat the mini-dungeon, but they could certainly appear inside the thing as well. I'll put it on my to-do list for the next patch to add them somewhere!

forgot to write this

nice winter boss lol
low protection and low reflexes are sure death in that room

I think what we've planned is that the buggers will appear in the area right outside the Toy Factory after you beat the mini-dungeon, but they could certainly appear inside the thing as well. I'll put it on my to-do list for the next patch to add them somewhere!

good idea, just do both :)

Last edited:

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
If talking about Toy Factory, there's a spot in puzzle room where you can stand and shield from bombs. Not sure if it was reported.