Died in the room with 3 seasons and got stuck in the ice+

PK Cyberstorm

Green Slime
I was play SOG today with my friend when we where running throught the room of 3 seasons, i died and at the same time the wind blew me into the ice, the ghost can`t move through objects so i could not be ressurected so my friend had to die to get us out. But this was just the first of my problems... When my friend died and the continue screen came up, it didn`t take long for the game to crash. When i logged in again i found my main (second) charecter missing. i checked multiplayer and single player but my charecter was nowhere to be found. after that, for no appearent reason, my lag skyrocketed. so much it was unplayable. I was using the frontline version and my friend was using the normal version.
2015-08-22_00001.jpg 2015-08-22_00004.jpg

Own

You guys were on different versions? It shouldn't even have been possible for you two to connect to each other, I thought...

Anyhow, your second character is (probably) still alive.

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Secrets of Grindea\Characters

Go here, make a copy of 2.bak, rename it to 2.cha, tell me if that works. Also, I think if you swipe at the ice in that room it will go down like normal thorns.

PK Cyberstorm

Green Slime
Problem is that the 2.cha file is already there. i have 0.cha, 1.cha and 2.cha. When i change the 2.bak copy to 2.cha it automaticly changes it to 2 (2).cha and nothing happens.

Yes playing with different versions works, we where playing just fine with each other until i got stuck and crashed.

HexZyle

Boar
Delete (or rename) 2.cha first before renaming 2.bak to 2.cha, you can't have two files with the same name.

Own

And if that doesn't work, with 2.cha still existing just try to remake your character in that save slot. It could be the world file that deleted, not the character itself.

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
If your file exists, but doesn't appear in game, you can start again on this slot and you will start with your character. But it seems to reset all quests (sometimes?).

PK Cyberstorm

Green Slime
I tried renaming the 2.cha file then making a new one but that did seemingly nothing. When i then tried to make a new character (with the same name, don`t know if it matters) the opposite happened. All my quests are complete and chests opened but my character has no more equipment than the starter sword and shield (+ what i got in arcade mode).

I also had 5 and a half hour and 61% complete while now when i started this i have 32% and no game time other than what i used to gather info now.2015-08-24_00001.jpg

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Man, sorry to hear this happened :(

Ironically, I actually suspect it's an emergency save that happens when the game crashes that cause this... in the vast majority of cases it works as intended, but sometimes it seems to instead corrupt the save!

If I can't figure out why that happens, I'll probably just disable that feature and see if the bug disappears completely and validates my suspicions.

For posterity, slot #2 in the character select is actually 1.cha (since the save slots are zero-indexed in the code). I'm too afraid of ruining stuff to change this semantic, which is a bit unfortunate since it's a little confusing that the first save slot is represented by file 0!

I'll put some additional focus on trying to make the backup system a bit more adamant in the coming update as well. It's not doing its job very well right now.