How about a RUN mechanic?

Rusty

Green Slime
I think this game needs a run mechanic for story mode. I realize this wouldn't be balanced if enemies were on the screen, so it would only work when your someplace where there are no enemies. But it would certainly make traversal through towns and such much more painless.

If it was implemented, maybe it would be a good idea to have it unlocked either a bit after the beginning or sometime later in the game. That way it would give new players some time to learn the essentials (and appreciate the graphics a bit) before rushing around everywhere.

I was thinking that it could be implemented as a piece of gear (Fastboots perhaps)? If not that way, then maybe it could be a special that has a passive effect of allowing you to run after you upgrade it?

What do you all think?

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
The character is already running/jogging so to increase the movementspeed by a substantial amount while in town and houses would probably make the game feel weird. I don't find it too annoying with the somewhat slow movement in the big areas (like the town). I'm fine with the current speed but if you can make it fit in the game then I wouldn't be against it. :)

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
We just talked about making the character move slower to make it more realistic soooo, yeah.
I think the game speed is fine. No running needed if you ask me.

Liteyear

Green Slime
If character speed is going to get slowed down will there be a temporary boost effect or outside-combat item(s) to make haste? Or is it unnecessary given the existence of map portals?

HexZyle

Boar
If character speed is going to get slowed down will there be a temporary boost effect or outside-combat item(s) to make haste? Or is it unnecessary given the existence of map portals?

No, the slowed speed being discussed would only apply to diagonal movement, since there is no x/y axis speed reduction when moving on an angle, which is geometrically incorrect. The cardinal directions would remain the same, so travelling long distances wouldn't really suffer.

Piotyr

Green Slime
Secret of mana had a dash ability that let you rush forward without being able to turn, useless in most combat but useful in travel.

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
Yeah, but that Dash was incooperated in the game mechanic of cool down.
It was not viable to use this dash in fights, because it affected dmg. Also you couldn't really control that dash if you wanted take a turn.

This wasn't even very useful in SoM because of those limitations and I don't think that anything similar would work in SoG. If you make it too restricted it won't be useful at all and if you make it too useful it will break the game.

I don't think that running/dashing etc are stupid or useless, but I think they are redundant. There is rarely a moment where a SoM dash would be really useful. --> most of the time you can either warp, or it's contorted.

Piotyr

Green Slime
I got some use for it but I can see how it wouldn't work well without the cool down mechanic. And if you really want to move faster you can always get that one handed sword dash :p.

Piotyr

Green Slime
I don't want to spoil myself on story so I am just playing arcade mode, I've barely had experience with silver charge abilities due to usually multi skilling.

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
(if you want to try, you could press enter then write "/skillpoint" (without the "") and press enter agian)

Piotyr

Green Slime
Will try that, I am thinking of giving some feed back on a bunch of skills and this will help me do that a bit better. I will get my friends together and we will try out silver and gold level skills.

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
Of course.
Maybe someday there will be a speedrun section where commands are allowed.
I think that would be interesting.

Harquinn

Green Slime
I'm gonna respectfully go counter to what a lot of y'all were saying, and agree that a speed-boost would be nice... in town. One of the items I remember collecting in story mode was a pair of rollerblades. I forget if it was crafted or a drop, but being able to use those not as just another pair of boots, but as way to zip around town would be very nice in my book. But I'm always a fan of having little trinkets that provide interesting mechanical changes to how small parts of the game flow that aren't simply another armor slot item that will be tossed deep into Bag a level or two later.

Ren

Green Slime
I'm a bit torn on the topic. I think the current speed works well mechanically, I don't actually feel like it takes too much time to travel through maps I need to walk through and then the warp exist for across multiple region travel.... BUT I do find myself, from time to time, wanting to hold down a button and run a bit faster. More out of muscle memory from games gone by. I get the same sensation while playing SotN. I don't think it would improve gameplay, it would just scratch the itch on a phantom limb.

HexZyle

Boar
One of the items I remember collecting in story mode was a pair of rollerblades. I forget if it was crafted or a drop, but being able to use those not as just another pair of boots

They already have a unique function, and that is a dramatic decrease of the movement speed penalty when charging. With full points in the associated talent, you can literally walk full speed while charging. It's freaking awesome already.