Creating a new wiki, need help & permission

So hey guys, lately I've been contributing to differents wikis alot. I love to documents things and since I love SoG so much I've decided to create a new wiki since I want it to be as clean as possible and that I've never been a fan of Wikias.

I just started it, you might have to wait a couple of days before seeing any good content. For now I'm just replaying the game, picking up every characters quotes.

Any help is appreciated as long as you know how to use templates and are serious about this.

I would also like to get the permission from someone who can give it to me to use the game's art.

Thanks.

Some pages I've done (but not completed at all):
https://secretsofgrindea.miraheze.org/wiki/Dad
https://secretsofgrindea.miraheze.org/wiki/Uncle_Vev
https://secretsofgrindea.miraheze.org/wiki/Jonathan

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
I've never been a fan of Wikias.
Neither, I think the layout is terrible. All the text is way too big. Good choice on Mediawiki, they're always good in my books. I tell you what's worse - Curse wikis. The advertising refreshes and eats through internet >.<

I'd love to help, but really the forums are the place I reside. My English isn't that good either, especially when it comes to wiki level grammatically correct (like all the third person stuff, just not my thing). I'm sure a few people might help though. I can think of a few people, but won't mention any names. The best of luck to you :D

There is plenty more than english-writting stuff to do (I'm not even english native myself).
If you'd really wish to help, I could set you up the template and all you'd have to do is add the weapons/items/cards or whatever you want to contribute on :p real easy.

Oh, and thanks I'll correct that! :)

res7less

Jumpkin
I'm not very familiar with developing a wiki from scratch, but I sure do like writing stuff, so if you point me towards where you need plain text written (descriptions, infos, explanations etc.) for certain articles, I'm willing to offer help and would try to see what I can do.

I'm not very familiar with developing a wiki from scratch, but I sure do like writing stuff, so if you point me towards where you need plain text written (descriptions, infos, explanations etc.) for certain articles, I'm willing to offer help and would try to see what I can do.

Well, you can always go to any of the NPC pages and write their history and personalities, if you want, I could make the skeleton of the Startington page so that all you have to do is to fill out with well written texts :)

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Welcome to the 21st century, my 12th century friend.
The internet wasn't around in the 12th century :p
I'm not a fan of adblock. YouTubers and Twitch Streamers have to make their money somehow you know. It doesn't take that much effort to wait for the page to load then click the "x" to stop it loading once all the important information's up.

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
I'm not a fan of adblock. YouTubers and Twitch Streamers have to make their money somehow you know. It doesn't take that much effort to wait for the page to load then click the "x" to stop it loading once all the important information's up.
You do know that you can whitelist those sites in the ad blocker so you still see the ads on those sites and then they are blocked for the rest of the internet? :p

Hexerin

Rabby
As GoodStuff pointed out, you can add those sites you still wish to see adds on to the whitelist. Extremely simple, and only needs to be done once per site (and if you use Chrome, the settings are saved across all your devices).

There's really no excuse for not using ABP, especially since it helps mitigate malware that is transmitted through some advertisements. Fanboy's list is also nice, hiding social networking crap.

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
Yeah, I agree that Ad Block is sometimes a must. It's ironic that most of mobile browsers don't support it. I tried to read manga on Mangapanda on my phone. Nope, not a chance. It keeps redirecting me to some scam website and after it sent an SMS on my number, I stopped even entering there :mad:

I can't even imagine how one can surf Internet without Ad Block nowadays. I turned it off only on... 3 websites?

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
There's really no excuse for not using ABP
Woah, cut back on the insistence - we're a friendly community here o_O

It's honestly not that much of an issue. If it was I would've considered it by now. I know there's whitelisting and blacklisting, but I don't actually use said wiki anymore and don't pay much attention to ads on other sites. Really, I can get free entertainment and resources while the people who publish them get free money. The only people losing out are the people paying for advertisements. What's not to like? :p I'd rather ads than paid product placements anyway.

The one thing I have done though is turned off targeted adverts. Otherwise that one search to get a picture of some roof tiles gives you building supplies ads for the rest of your life :/

Totally with Res as well :naniva:

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
I would say great job on the text box style, but you can't read any of the red text on them (was looking at the page for dad). I think that's a link to a page that doesn't exist, right? You might wanna change the colour of that ;)

res7less

Jumpkin
If you got any questions, hit me up!
How do I properly link to pages that don't exist yet? How are spaces treated? PillarMountains, or Pillar_Mountains, or just the usual space?

Edit: Also, what about spoilers? For example, in Startington is also a location for a treasure map. Is it supposed to be put into the "Places of interest" category?

Edit2: Furthermore, the category "Items" of a location - does it include items found through quests? If yes, does it matter whether or not the quest starts in/ends in/is connected to the respective location?

Last edited: