Skill guide?

Pharphis

Rabby
Hi,

I was just wondering if there was some kind of thread or guide that showed short clips/explanations of how various skills work? It seems costly to respec my character to try a variety of things out but I'd like to have some idea of what may or may not work

tkld178

Rabby
I'm fairly new to the forums too so i don't know if something like that exists but all skills have a more information option when you select one that gives a fairly good description on what it will do on varying levels. There's also multiple character slots so you could create new characters get a few levels and actually text the skills yourself and using the more information on skills you can kind of piece together what it might do at higher levels.

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
If the information isn't enough in the game you can always use the /respec command to refund all your skill points. :p

GiefCat

Green Slime
If the information isn't enough in the game you can always use the /respec command to refund all your skill points. :p

Is there a reason refunding skills costs so much? Since we have /respec anyway, why not make it free to respec your skills in game so people can try different builds without restarting their character?

Hexerin

Rabby
If the information isn't enough in the game you can always use the /respec command to refund all your skill points.
Basically every thread I've read about that, says that it's extremely buggy and can cause things ranging from loss of skill points to complete corruption of your character. Probably not a good idea to universally recommend using that.

Is there a reason refunding skills costs so much?
Nostalgia and archaic game design, mostly.

Since we have /respec anyway, why not make it free to respec your skills in game so people can try different builds without restarting their character?
I would imagine it's just a matter of "can't be bothered".

GarlicJelly

Is there a reason refunding skills costs so much? Since we have /respec anyway, why not make it free to respec your skills in game so people can try different builds without restarting their character?
Well, the /commands are just for beta testing. Once the game is released these will all be removed from the game. The devs don't want you to change build just so that you can beat the next boss easier or the new area you've entered so to prevent that they put a pretty big price tag on refunding skill points. At first they didn't even want a respec system. :p

GarlicJelly

Basically every thread I've read about that, says that it's extremely buggy and can cause things ranging from loss of skill points to complete corruption of your character. Probably not a good idea to universally recommend using that.
If you're afraid of corrupting your save file then don't use your main character to test things out with. :p
It is a beta after all and there are some measures taken to prevent total loss of your character with an automatic backup system. In case you lose skill points we have a command to add more to your character so if you know what you're missing you can always put them back. :p

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
I wouldn't say that's a good idea as you'd get people doing a free refund before every boss fight to maximise their strategy. It just needs a little more fine tuning.

Pharphis

Rabby
Instead of using gold, there could be an alternative skill point of sorts that you are awarded for every X number of enemies killed, or something. Or just a small chance of dropping one of said respec orbs (like the card chance or ideally lower) so that even low level players have easier access to respec options.

It would add an interesting (but not broken) twist to arcade mode strats as well, I think