About that Mouse support..

Kryonix

Green Slime
I have recently started playing and I love the game in pretty much every aspect of it.

The only thing that is quite frustrating are the controls. Using the keyboard is not the best way of playing an arpg like this one.

Are there plans to add Mouse controls at all?

xEleaa

Rabby
Oh :c That's a real shame, for me it just made it so much better= ) perhaps they will add mouse though but :eek:

Ardeof

Rabby
Who knows. I do agree that on a PC game mouse support should be mandatory. It'd be nice to control skills with a mouse. I already play SoG with the mouse as is (left click Z, right click X, plus other binds). That's with the power of the Steelseries engine though. It'd be kind of annoying to play without the mouse.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Mouse support would be nice, but I think any mouse integration into skills such as Earth Spike or Meteor would give them an objective advantage over playing with anything else. I think the ability to bind mouse buttons, as well as the ability to navigate the menu with a mouse should be necessary though.

Controller the way to go =)
I tried using a controller and I felt like I'd lost all my precision of movement I can get with a keyboard. It's highly likely that's just the way I use the controller, but I feel like I can get a lot more refined movements (such as are necessary when there's spikes all over the room) as well as quicker skill access when using a controller. Is that just me, or do any other controller players feel like that?

Hexerin

Rabby
Mouse makes no sense for a game like this, where attacks and interactions can only go in the four cardinal directions.

Ardeof

Rabby
Mouse makes no sense for a game like this, where attacks and interactions can only go in the four cardinal directions.

Not really. This is a 2D game, meaning skills can go diagonal as well. The limitation IS because of the arrow keys, not the design of the game.

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
The limitation IS because of the arrow keys, not the design of the game.
Not true. They would need diagonal projectiles and diagonal character sprites in order to add this. There is more work behind the game than just code. :p Fred's animations really make the game come alive and add to the nostalgic feeling. To say that it would be fine to leave out on the graphical details because using a mouse is so important for a PC game sounds like a really bad idea IMO. :p

Ardeof

Rabby
Not true. They would need diagonal projectiles and diagonal character sprites in order to add this. There is more work behind the game than just code. :p Fred's animations really make the game come alive and add to the nostalgic feeling. To say that it would be fine to leave out on the graphical details because using a mouse is so important for a PC game sounds like a really bad idea IMO. :p

I know that not all the spells support such things. But a spell like Meteor does quite easily. Making a simple tether that follows the mouse and swaps the character to left/up/right/down would be a simple solution to supporting the second part of PC gaming. Even simpler would be a diagonal grid that activates the toggle of the character, based on cursor location.

Compared to making keybinds for moves, creating spells/sprites, this implementation is barbaric at best and makes the game much more enjoyable to those who play with KB/M. In fact there's been quite a bit of streamers with videos up making subtle comments about being suprised about the keyboard/arrow only support.