Character Slot Overwrite

Frigid

Green Slime
If you attempt to create a character on the beta in the same slot as a character you have on the purchased version of the game, you'll corrupt the character slot. There's no way to see this from the beta character creation screen, as forward version character selection screen will show beta characters, but not vice versa. Not sure if there's any way to recover the character I lost to find this, but I figure it's worth bringing up.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
The game only has one location where it stores your local files. I found that after I launched the DRM-free version from my USB stick on my home computer, it took all the saves from that version and overwrote the Steam version on the PC I was playing on. What happens is the files from one version overwrite the files from the other.

To restore your character(s), there's a bunch of backup folders in said location. If %appdata% > Secrets of Grindea means anything to you, go there, go to Backups, sort by date modified/created, find your character and upload the relevant .cha and .wld files, renamed to the correct 0-indexed slot (as in 0.cha = 1st slot, 1.cha = 2nd, etc.) in the "Characters" and "Worlds" folder.

If that sounds like gibberish there's a video in the spoiler below :p

Frigid

Green Slime
Nah, I get you on the local data files for SoG. I'm pretty sure I was using Steam cloud synchronization though. Would that interfere, or would my local character and world backups still be relevant? I'll give it a try tomorrow when I'm at my home PC. Bought the game for a friend today and I'm dying to show off my character.
Are backups created at launch/close of a world? If so I can pinpoint when I messed up my character and from there overwrite with an appropriate backup.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Backups are created when you close a world or after a certain period of time and then moving through a load screen. Steam could shouldn't interfere from what I gather.