Housing Holograms

Own

%2521allakompisar.gif

I was looking at one of Fred's character compilations, where he pieces a bunch of animated characters together in one scene. It looks like a lot of fun, arranging all those characters on one screen to make a scene. So I was thinking, wouldn't it be fun to do so yourself? And so introduces...

Housing Holograms

What: A new category under the housing section. Holograms of animated characters around the Grindea world. Quinton polishing his glasses, that one Collector polishing the window, the sculptor hammering away at the Rabby, Santa ho-ho-ho'ing, Marino in his battle pose, Marino looped admiring Amalet above his head, the Tai Ming priestess talking to the kids, the sign flipper in Evergrind City, Vilya screaming orders or twirling, Tai Ming's little girl crying, Sally dancing. Anyone and everyone with an animated sprite that can be looped.

Given that all the assets are already in game, it wouldn't require much animation work. Just taking the frames and turning them into a 1-2 tile (or larger) housing object that can't be interacted with.

How:

A few ideas.

Option 1 - You get a few random Housing Holograms each time you beat Story Mode.
Option 2 - That pachinko machine thing I suggested for Arcadia dispenses them.
Option 3 - You buy them. Which isn't very interesting. We need some genuinely rare things to spruce up our homes and flaunt our stuff with, that isn't just a matter of 'How much can you grind'.

My ideal method, however,

Option 4 - There are a number of games on Steam that award various items for the game while you play them. Like Team Fortress 2, or Don't Starve / Don't Starve Together being a good example. You can get up to four item drops a week in DS/DST, cosmetic skins which you can apply to your characer, combine to get rarer items or sell on the community market. It's been fairly profitable for DS/DST to have this system in place, and for their players.

Personally, I'd enjoy Housing Holograms being handled like that. :) Something to reward players for playing week after week, a fun new way to deck out your home with various NPCs to set up scenes for those that visit your home. Or sell SoG things on the community market and make some Steambucks.

Only problem is how to deal with people trading away a hologram they've already got set up in their house. Maybe whenever the house screen is loaded it checks each hologram in it, and if it doesn't show up in the players inventory, it just displays a big red X instead.

Maybe higher rarity holograms could be something special as well, unique character animations. Nolea striking the air or twirling ala CrossCode, a blue Season Knight with a shovel donning the Shovel Knight pose, etc.

A suggestion for the end of the game, maybe. :D