[Crash] Crashes before the Tai Ming boss fight, during dialog.

Gorye

Green Slime
Game crashes 100% during the dialog that starts with Bag saying: "I don't think that's what we're looking for. Just leave it alone". The dialog progresses until Zhamla says: "Tessen... but, the messenger..." and as he steps forward game crashes. [See the screenshot] I assume it is right before the boss fight (I haven't seen it yet, but since in the Sprites/Bosses folder there is a folder with Zhamla's name on it, I made an educated guess :) )

lIL0TSE5PB0.jpg

It crashes on both frontline and stable versions. I verified the game files multiple times.

I am using Ubuntu 18.04, running the game through Steam Proton 4.2-7, which is up-to-date.

Since I am unable to progress any further, I asked for help.

Attachments

• sogcrash.jpg
    sogcrash.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 0

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Hmm... when he steps forward he steps into a forcefield, so maybe there's something in that shader that for some reason doesn't survive whatever Proton does to run it!

Does the bugsplat report tool launch on Linux? If so you can get (I actually have an old laptop with Linux Mint - I should give this Proton thing a spin...)

What happens if you skip the cutscene?

Gorye

Green Slime
Hmm... when he steps forward he steps into a forcefield, so maybe there's something in that shader that for some reason doesn't survive whatever Proton does to run it!

Does the bugsplat report tool launch on Linux? If so you can get (I actually have an old laptop with Linux Mint - I should give this Proton thing a spin...)

What happens if you skip the cutscene?

Skipping results in a crash, too.

I do not know how to launch this tool, since it is .exe

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
I quickly whipped up a couple of neutered variants of the shaders that get introduced at that point. You could try to replace the files in the Shaders folder for the game with the ones in the attached .zip! Start with SinuswaveBottom, and then replace ForceFieldRipple if the game still crashes.

If it was indeed the shaders causing it, this should remove the effects but let the game run.

If it doesn't work, I sadly can't put more time into this right now since Proton is not something we have control over and I have no idea how to bugtest for it :(

We hope to use FNA to get the game running on OSX and Linux natively when the full game has shipped, instead (unless Proton by that point can run the game flawlessly)

As for the bug report tool, it's run automatically if the game crashes on Windows! I thought maybe Proton could help boot it, but it looks like it just loads the main game .exe!

Attachments

• Shaders.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 7

Gorye

Green Slime
I replaced the SinuswaveBottom file and now several things happen.

First, Zhamla walk just a tiny bit longer, and I can hear new music, and a sound of barrier, I guess, until it crashes.
UPD: The same error appears when I replace the ForceField file.
BUT, the error log now opens and here is the log:

Gorye

Green Slime
Version: 0.840c Steamy Hot Unstable

Error: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at Bagmen.TaiMing_Zone03ZhamlaBattle.RenderBottomLine (Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch spriteBatch) [0x00253] in <3e16e49b2515426e8a45a63f46daf373>:0
at SoG.DelegateRenderComponent.Render (Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch spriteBatch) [0x00000] in <3e16e49b2515426e8a45a63f46daf373>:0
at SoG.Game1._RenderMaster_RenderSortedEntities () [0x001af] in <3e16e49b2515426e8a45a63f46daf373>:0
at SoG.Game1._RenderMaster_RenderPlayfield (Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch spriteBatch) [0x000ec] in <3e16e49b2515426e8a45a63f46daf373>:0
at SoG.Game1.Draw (Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameTime gameTime) [0x0015b] in <3e16e49b2515426e8a45a63f46daf373>:0 - FullScreen: No - NetworkRole: LocalOnly - MD5: e2add9ef358693e5539a31efa83c0aad

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
I think I might've made a mistake in one of the replacement shaders actually... try using the one I attached here instead!

Attachments

• SinuswaveBottom.zip
    851 bytes · Views: 21

SycPuppy

Green Slime
Was having the same problem last year when I tried to play the game again and luckily I found this this time around when I ran into the problem again today.

Rockos

Green Slime
I'm logging in just to let you know that this workaround works for linux Proton on steam beta 0.95a