How to play beta multiplayer ??

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
You need to either open port 6000, or use Hamachi! If you've played Terraria it's quite similar to how it works there.

If you've opened the port so people can connect to you, just host a game, and then other users can connect to you via your external IP (just google "what is my ip") or your Hamachi IP if you're using that.

Savaris

Green Slime
I'm not sure if this is a problem with the game or Hamachi, but 3 of my friends bought the game. Two live in my state and another one lives in California. Out of the two from my state, I can only connect to one and it's so laggy that one of us constantly gets dropped. When trying to connect to other one, I get the error in game that the IP is wrong or port 6000 is closed. We're all using the same version of Hamachi.

However, the friend in California can connect to me and vice versa just fine and we play without any lag at all. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Octave

Green Slime
Well some friends and I have the issue where everyone can only connect to me. No one can connect to anyone else, and I cannot connect to anyone else. We are also using Hamachi, but I'm willing to bet it's more a problem with Hamachi than with the game, as it is p2p, I could be wrong though.

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
I know nothing about servers but I do know that I've had problems with connecting to games because my router didn't have an open port. I can't provide much information on this and to be honest I think opening a port in your router is a bit unsafe. But if you want to try everything then I guess google could give a better insight in opening ports in your router. (Please don't yell at me, I'm no expert.) :)

MaximusTD

Green Slime
My friends can join on me but they get somewhere around 350 ping and can't get through doorways to the next map. I have port forwarded and am using hamachi. Multi-player is currently unplayable atm.

Edit: In other games I have host my friends get 50 or less ping.

MaximusTD

Green Slime
Aussie net, 15.81Mbps Download and 0.71Mbps Upload. I used to be best host for CoD:Mw2 out of my friends with little to no delay. I don't get why this pixelated game is causing such trouble.

ark626

CoD Mw2 uses a dedicated server or a global server. so its no problem
THe problem is the upload speed.
If you are host you need to upload the data of 3 Clients.
And for the its just a Pixelate game comment (the graphics have nothing to do with the networking :D a shooter has not much to send over the network. just the coords, ammo health and sometimes a shot entity with the coords and the movment speed.)
Also CoD a Server uses its own server wich has a uploadspeed of minimum 16 Mbps.(and even if playing a lan game via hamachi. cod has only less data to transmit.(host just transmits 3 coords the ammunition and the health of a player.))
Look here i describet it with an example.
http://secretsofgrindea.com/forum/index.php?threads/multiplayer-bandwith.352/#post-2177
Not sure why this happens? Lol as for me the bottleneck is ALWAYS the Host/upload side.
Which means if you are hosting a Multiplayergame for 3 other people then your DSL should better be damn good.
What also is to say that you have to update each tick in the game for everything. (meaning every other players graphics every enemies graphics the life vars etc.
Simple example, you are host and you have 1 k/bytes upload and 3 Clients are connected.
On your map are 3 Enemies.

Each entity has 2 Variables for the coordinates (16 bit*2)
Each entity has 4 Variables for HP/MAXHP EP/MAXEP (8bits*4)
Each entity has 1 Variable for the Grahpic number which is showing and the animation state (16bit+8bit)

=> For each entity you have to calculate 88 bit per tick. (and thats just the basic of the basic information needs to be updated)
The game runs at 60 FPS so per second 60 Updates meaning (88 bit * amount of entities*60)= k/bytes which a client needs.

Now comes the tricky part if you have 3 Clients then you have to multiply by 3 => 88bit*amount of entities*60*3=k/bytes

On our map are 3 enemies we have 3 clients and therefore summed up 7 Entities. And we divide by 8 for getting bytes not bits and divide by 1000 for getting k/bytes not bytes
=>
88 bit *7Entities*60Frames*3Clients/8/1000 = 13,860 k/bytes = 0,01386 M/bytes

So as you can see even trough this small data which has to be transfered the host is the bottleneck because the Upload on normal internet accesses is very much smaller than the download.

I once wrote for this problem a feature which only let the host update entities that are in range of twice the screen of ANY Player (only NPCs and enemies are updatet which can be seen by a player)
This saved a lot of bandwith for the host but i think teddy already implemented such a thing and more tricks.

Last edited:

MaximusTD

Green Slime
Thanks for your knowledge =)

So simply put, Australians can't enjoy this game to full potential yet/ever? (Unless done through LAN?)

ark626

Yes you can if somebody Hosts with a good connection
But altough it shouldnt lag if you are playing with an upseed close to 1mbps.
Maybee there is another problem

MaximusTD

Green Slime
Mmm Possibly. The connection speed that I said earlier is sadly as close as it gets to the best in Australia =(