After seeing the new update: Seasoned Knights playmode.

Own

You currently have

Fall.gif
Winter.gif
Summer.gif

And I can't help but notice, those are all vaguely player-shaped sprites. They all have weapons. They all have shields. They all have a special attack.

I also can't help but notice that, if there were a fourth one as Spring, the seasons would be complete. There would be four knights (Axe?) to match the maximum number of co-op players. Which also matches well with the number of elements available in the game, four.

Getting to the point:

There seems to be the makings of an awesome new game mode here. You already have a Binding of Isaac-style roguelike in the form of Arcade Mode, why not a side scrolling beat-'em-up mode like Castle Crashers? http://store.steampowered.com/app/204360

How it could work:

Each character picks one of the four seasonal knights, each one starting with just their basic attack and their unique skill present in the gifs above.

Using the special attack could work a few different ways in this play mode.

A) Uses MP, which doesn't regenerate naturally, requires enemy kills to replenish.

B) Uses MP, which regenerates by finding it in smashed bushes/pots, making players infight to try and find MP before their teammates do.

C) Doesn't actually use up MP, but has a limited number of times it can be used each stage. Three 'Special Attack' orbs that deplete when used, with the potential to find more orbs in the stage itself.

Leveling up could work a few different ways from Story Mode as well.

A) Upon leveling up you gain access to a branching skill tree, letting you choose between +ATK, +DEF, +CRIT%, +HP, +CRITDMG, +ATKSPEED, each of the three spells associated with that knight's season, improving those spells, +SpecialAttackOrbs or various other goodies like freeze-on-hit chance, burn-on-hit chance, zap-another-nearby-enemy-on-hit chance, knock-an-enemy-into-the-air-on-hit chance, etc. This might be best if levels persisted from run to run, like Castle Crashers.

B) Upon leveling up you're given three random options to choose from. These could be like +5 ATK, Bronze Rank Frosty Friend or 5% chance to Freeze on hit. This might be best if levels reset after each run, like Arcade Mode.

C) Just using Castle Crashers upgrade system. +ATK, +HP, +Magic.

There wouldn't really be any need for equipment, cards or talents in this mode, making it much more streamlined. Just advance ahead a little, kill the enemies that ambush from both sides of the screen, kill the bosses that drop down and repeat until the end of the level.

One long side-scrolling level seems like it would be a bit easier to design than most Story Mode maps too, unless there would be some complication I'm not seeing.

The only thing I'm not sure of is, if there is a Spring Axe Knight, what would it's special attack be? Weapon toss?

Thoughts?

Last edited:

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
I like this idea. I really love the animations, the colors and the idea to have different characters to use different attacks. I would play this if it was added. It might not fit into the story mode but it could fit as a minigame or as a seperate game mode like Arcade mode.

Some of the different ideas from the top of my head for the leveling system are:

Levels are gained after reaching checkpoints like after defeating a boss or a guantlet such as the crystal in the western part of the Flying Fortress.

Each level raises your stats by a fixed amount so the focus is on highscore and progress rather than customisation and builds. (You only have one skill/attack so why would you need the option to increase a specific stat)

One thing you could do with the stats gained instead of just gaining +1 to everything every level could be to boost +3 on one of the 3 different stats each level so first you gain +3 to Health and then next level you gain +3 to Attack and then +3 to Def on the next level and just repeat that over and over again.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
This is a pretty cool suggestion, honestly :D

Considering we already have the pretty crazy (but totally worth it) workload addition of Arcade Mode, I'd personally save something like this and throw it in as a post-release update or something to keep people entertained :p

Doesn't mean it can't be discussed, though!

Cheynas

Rabby
What would the option be with the seasoned mages?

Shoot-em-up?

Either way, it sounds like an interesting add-on to Grindea, for when the devs need a break from story-making.