Arcade: Daily Mystery Dungeon

Own

Several games on Steam have a daily challenge in them. In One Way Heroics, you have a randomized list of daily adventures to choose from and compete in against other players. The world has tougher monsters, or you start with an NPC companion, or all monsters drop gold but no equipment. No matter what, everyone has the same generated world, with the same towns and NPCs generated at the same spots. Everyone plays the same game.

Same thing with Spelunky. Every day a new game seed is generated, everyone competes on that seed and when they die or win, that's it. Their score is submitted and they're unable to play the daily challenge again, come back tomorrow. It's fairly addicting, there's still people who compete regularly for the daily high scores despite the age of the game.

So, here's the thing: You already have seed generation, a scoring mode and competition between players. So why not experiment a little, have a bit of fun? :)

Add: The Daily Mystery Dungeon.

You select this 1-player mode from the Arcade screen and you're loaded directly into the Arcade run, or perhaps an abandoned and Pumpkin Woods-ified version of Arcadia for ~Spookiness~.

Perhaps you're told the daily randomized settings, or perhaps not. Which would be more fun? Personally I'd enjoy a bit of mystery, figuring out the settings on my own.

But either way, each day every player would play through the same exact Arcade dungeon, with the same enemies, same rooms, same drops, same NPCs, same gold, same cards, same challenges, same bosses specific to that day.

And they would be given three random perks available, same as everyone else gets. If Candy / Muffin are implimented, a number of random Candy Hexes / Muffin Treats are activated to influence the run, same as everyone else gets.

And when they level up, their points are auto-allocated into random talents or skills, same as everyone gets. You level up? You're given a point in, say, Windslash and a point in Insult To Injury. Maybe it could keep selecting skills and talents at random on further level ups, or keep feeding points into those skills and talents, only switching once they're full or at silver charge. Maybe it could do either one, depending on the challenge seed of the day. That could be fun.

End of the run, your score is submitted against everyone else that has ran in the Daily Mystery Dungeon and the option to return is blocked off until a new daily seed is generated.

Come the end of the day, if you're at the top of the list? You get a gold star. Spots 2-4? Silver star. 5-10? Bronze star. Gold is 5 points, silver 3, bronze 1. You get a starcount on your Daily Mystery Dungeon high score sheet, visible to everyone. It could end there, or you could make a contest of it.

End of the week, the Steam server could award some prize to those with the most points for that week. Top person gets a cosmetic face/hat and # essence or something special for their Arcadia town, top 2-4 get some essence and 5-10 get smaller amount of essence. Everyone else gets some participation essence.

The Daily Mystery Dungeon could even have it's own list of points-unlocked prizes, seperate from the normal Arcadia unlocks.

Instead of running the same OP builds over and over to try and inch a few more points over everyone else on the high score list, you force them to adapt to a daily challenge where the only thing they're in control of is their ability to play well within the boundaries it sets and the tools they're given. :) Seems like it might add a ton of fun. I know I'd have a blast with it, even if it had no prizes whatsoever.

Though I do know that awarding prizes for score placement is a thing with Steam, since Nimble Quest awards you tokens depending on how the team you're on did in at the end of each week on the leaderboards.

It would also give some streamers and LPers a reason to check back into the game at least once a day, knowing that there will be a new and unique challenge waiting for them. :D

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
After playing Spelunky I've also considered the possibility of a special daily seed. In my head it was a pretty vanilla affair, but I do think your idea of mystery effects sound pretty damn fun :D

If we'll add the feature it will be added later down the road, when we've added more wacky stuff to the mode! We'd need some kind of core for the mystery effects and stuff, after all!

Reactions: Own

Own

After playing Spelunky I've also considered the possibility of a special daily seed. In my head it was a pretty vanilla affair, but I do think your idea of mystery effects sound pretty damn fun :D

I only suggest things that I'd have a ridiculous amount of fun with, so that's good to hear. :D The idea of being forced not to use the same tried-and-true builds, but everyone having to use the same pre-set one with the same handicaps / boons and seeing who can best adapt to it that day would be pretty amazing and potentially hilarious. :) Especially if the curses aren't told to you upfront, and the hex/curse that makes everywhere you step ignite with fire is actually a thing.

That would probably make for a pretty short and amusing IHeartPie video. ;)

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
I'd probably have a blast with it too, despite me being as good at arcade as an elephant trying to play hide-n'-seek (i.e. terrible). If I were to suggest anything it'd be allowing multiple goes for the bad people, and have two leaderboards: one for the first try and one for any number of tries. That way in case people have a bunch of spare time (like I will do over my gargantuan summer) rather than a few minutes (if you're horrendous like I am) then you can have a few goes if you like the skillset, and try to get onto the second leaderboard. Just me that thinks it's a good idea?

Maybe a one-off home item as the weekly (or even monthly) reward for when the housing is implemented? Like a pumpkin lamp, a training dummy or a hammock?

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
I'd probably have a blast with it too, despite me being as good at arcade as an elephant trying to play hide-n'-seek (i.e. terrible). If I were to suggest anything it'd be allowing multiple goes for the bad people, and have two leaderboards: one for the first try and one for any number of tries. That way in case people have a bunch of spare time (like I will do over my gargantuan summer) rather than a few minutes (if you're horrendous like I am) then you can have a few goes if you like the skillset, and try to get onto the second leaderboard. Just me that thinks it's a good idea?

Maybe a one-off home item as the weekly (or even monthly) reward for when the housing is implemented? Like a pumpkin lamp, a training dummy or a hammock?
I think that maybe instead of having multiple tries on the daily seed for a second scoreboard you could make a special event of the daily seed. Every day there is a new seed that awards +X% extra score so you can compete for any category (allowing multiplayer to use the daily seed to reach rank 1). Maybe you could give people 10-20 tries with the daily seed for the "any category" if the system needs some more balancing to not be way too good compared to normal runs. :)

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
... Is my brain not working? (Not helpful seen as I have yet another exam tomorrow :/) Mind re-iterating that?

Do you mean putting the Daily Challenge scores onto the normal leaderboard but with some extra score?

GarlicJelly

... Is my brain not working? (Not helpful seen as I have yet another exam tomorrow :/) Mind re-iterating that?

Do you mean putting the Daily Challenge scores onto the normal leaderboard but with some extra score?
Yeah, but only for the multiple try idea. I think the one try daily seed should have its own leaderboard.

Own

With Spelunky, every day has it's own leaderboard. Having an all-around leaderboard that taps into every single day would be weird. Because certain, specific days would guarantee a higher score potential than others, and if you miss that one... well, everyone else is a little screwed. At least until a new day with a seed that has a potential higher score comes around, and then the cycle repeats itself.

I also don't think mixing normal Arcade score leaderboards with anything else would be particularly good, playmodes should be as seperate as is possible. :p Playing a gimmick mode shouldn't give you any benefit over normal Arcade runs.

And having multiple daily leaderboards with the option to play again and again for something that's supposed to be one try, you win or lose, come back tomorrow seems like it would add a weird level of complication to something that should be fairly straightforward. The enjoyable thing about Spelunky's daily seed is that it is "Swing by, try to do this, you don't know what or where anything is, you don't know what's in that box, you don't know where the traps are, if you die too bad - play the normal game until tomorrow". If you're adapting to it and trying again and again to get higher scores, you're taking the gimmick and challenge out of it. :p

GarlicJelly

With Spelunky, every day has it's own leaderboard. Having an all-around leaderboard that taps into every single day would be weird. Because certain, specific days would guarantee a higher score potential than others, and if you miss that one... well, everyone else is a little screwed. At least until a new day with a seed that has a potential higher score comes around, and then the cycle repeats itself.

I also don't think mixing normal Arcade score leaderboards with anything else would be particularly good, playmodes should be as seperate as is possible. :p Playing a gimmick mode shouldn't give you any benefit over normal Arcade runs.

And having multiple daily leaderboards with the option to play again and again for something that's supposed to be one try, you win or lose, come back tomorrow seems like it would add a weird level of complication to something that should be fairly straightforward. The enjoyable thing about Spelunky's daily seed is that it is "Swing by, try to do this, you don't know what or where anything is, you don't know what's in that box, you don't know where the traps are, if you die too bad - play the normal game until tomorrow". If you're adapting to it and trying again and again to get higher scores, you're taking the gimmick and challenge out of it. :p
Yeah but Spelunky's daily seed doesn't differ anything from a normal run except that everyone plays the same seed. We're talking about having buffs and debuffs that are added at random which adds a whole new level of depth and changes a lot of things. Maybe I'm just too hung up on the idea of having the random buffs and debuffs in consecutive runs. I guess if you pick your own seed and set the buffs and debuffs to the same as the daily after you've played it you could run the same thing over and over without a complicated system. :p

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
If you're adapting to it and trying again and again to get higher scores, you're taking the gimmick and challenge out of it. :p
But if we've got interesting special features as you mentioned with the possible fire trail, unless they're added to the normal arcade mode, you only get to mess around with it once, possibly only for a few minutes. I understand some features come and go, but they usually last a couple weeks or months. Having hyperspeed for a run would be heartbreaking never to see it again :p

[Edit]: The second leaderboard might not have any rewards, just for the pride of getting somewhere, and when we get people like you, you'll only come and top both boards xD :D

Own

But if we've got interesting special features as you mentioned with the possible fire trail, unless they're added to the normal arcade mode

When I mentioned Candy Hexes/Muffin Treats, I was referencing the suggestions from these posts which were intended for Arcade Mode as buffs / debuffs to make score increase / decrease, or a few for enemies in Story Mode to inflict temporarily. :) http://secretsofgrindea.com/forum/index.php?threads/more-ways-to-spend-essence-upgrading-npcs.3577/ http://secretsofgrindea.com/forum/index.php?threads/enemy-debuffs-spells.4271/

@Teddy did say that they were probably going to add something like the Candy/Muffin system to Arcade Mode someday, I think. With the Mystery Dungeon, I was just proposing a random combination of them be toggled on for the runs each day. Like you could get the Candy Hex that makes every step you walk off of catch fire and the one that makes your weapon rusted, but also the Muffin Treat that makes HP orbs restore full HP.

Arcade Mode would be where you control these buffs / debuffs / perks / talents / skills and Daily Mystery Dungeon would be taking all those elements and dishing them out at random, see if you can survive based on the hand you're dealt against everyone else.

I'd rather like that, at least. :D

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Ohhhh I understand now! :D I just didn't realise you were relating back to your old suggestions :p

Yeah the single run would be a good idea then.

Also, MAN do you put some effort into these suggestions o_O