Arrow types and effects

Dulled

Rabby
The bow is a fun weapon as it is now, but it seem somewhat too simple right now. The solution? Arrow types!

You could have fire arrow, that would set the enemies on fire, or ice arrows, that would slow them down. You could even have a crystal tipped one, that would be slower to fire but would do a bigger damage. The possibilities are infinite!

If not arrow types, special accessories that could have these effects with them. They could apply them to the bow or to the main weapon itself! Or simply being able to buy a different bow.

Just wanted to know what you guys think about it.

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
I want the bow to stay secondary but give it some more depth, adding different arrows to slow down or set enemies on fire seems like a big thing that could give the bow more strategic options. Imagine having fire arrows that you light the boss on fire with and you just keep that DOT on him for the whole fight, or imagine having slowing arrows and keeping the Giga Slimes slowed, or why not an arrow that keeps going through 2-3 targers or maybe even having arrows that can pin enemies to a tree or a wall! Even if it's not going to make it into the game I still think that this would be amazing!

I am going to have to agree with Good Stuff on this, I want the bow to stay a secondary weapon but with more depth. The special affect arrows seem like a great idea for this, but I feel like these could be very over-powered. Bows have way more range than some spells, like an ice spell that slows enemies who are hit with spell. Basically you could hit the enemy from a distance with a combination of slow, normal, slow, normal... Although I like this concept a lot, I feel like there will have to a bunch of nerfing involved in this. I guess that is my statement on the matter and do with it what you will. Sorry to be the downer on this one.

IHeartPie

Halloweed
I like the idea of these arrows being your "secondary role".

You may choose an arrow type in town and can't change it unless you are in town. Each arrow type comes with different amount of arrows [fire arrows with 5, net arrows with 3, etc].

This will let you fill a secondary role within the party much like how Ignite or Exhaust or Smite designates a role in LoL or the items you bring [net trap, fire bombs, etc] to battle in Monster Hunter.

Examples:
Net arrows to slow
Fire arrows for DoT [Like ignite]
Harpoons to "pull back" bosses [Like vindictus's harpoon system]
Taunt arrows to save a friend
Heal arrows
Bomb arrows [Like firebombs in dark souls]

I like the idea of these arrows being your "secondary role".

You may choose an arrow type in town and can't change it unless you are in town. Each arrow type comes with different amount of arrows [fire arrows with 5, net arrows with 3, etc].
I like how you have this set up with the town.. "system" and the limit for arrows depending on its type. I do have a couple questions about it though.
1. Would you be able to pick these arrows up like you currently can with normal arrows?
2. If you run out of special arrows does it switch to normal or wait for you to get more?

IHeartPie

Halloweed
I like how you have this set up with the town.. "system" and the limit for arrows depending on its type. I do have a couple questions about it though.
1. Would you be able to pick these arrows up like you currently can with normal arrows?
2. If you run out of special arrows does it switch to normal or wait for you to get more?

1. Could fill up part-ways per arrow pickup? Like, since 20 arrows are the normal max, and you would get, 2 heal arrows. Every arrow pickup would light up the circle [that corresponds to the bow button on top] by 1/10th. When it fills all the way up, bam, new arrow.

2. Wait. Because your normal arrows would be considered for one of these arrow type selections. The current type fills a burst niche, for if you need to kill a boss really quickly and safely.

1. Could fill up part-ways per arrow pickup? Like, since 20 arrows are the normal max, and you would get, 2 heal arrows. Every arrow pickup would light up the circle [that corresponds to the bow button on top] by 1/10th. When it fills all the way up, bam, new arrow.

2. Wait. Because your normal arrows would be considered for one of these arrow type selections. The current type fills a burst niche, for if you need to kill a boss really quickly and safely.

Thanks for answering! I feel like you should maybe reconsider number 2. because the small amount of arrows you suggested but then again arrow types in general would be good enough for me. ;)

IHeartPie

Halloweed
Thanks for answering! I feel like you should maybe reconsider number 2. because the small amount of arrows you suggested but then again arrow types in general would be good enough for me. ;)

The small amount is the point tho =P. How often have you been using the arrows anyways? I've been using it only when I remember them cuz my magic/attack damage is high enough and it's unlimited usage. If you like the current arrows, then choose it and use it :3. If fire arrows were offered with lower max arrows, hell yeah, I'd take it, cuz I won't forget to use it :3.

The small amount is the point tho =P. How often have you been using the arrows anyways? I've been using it only when I remember them cuz my magic/attack damage is high enough and it's unlimited usage. If you like the current arrows, then choose it and use it :3. If fire arrows were offered with lower max arrows, hell yeah, I'd take it, cuz I won't forget to use it :3.
I use the bow till I'm outta arrows. :)

Drover15

Green Slime
I was thinking the same thing, here's my idea: craftable arrows, first the feathers... Now we could use Peeko feathers but Peekos are so annoying to farm so instead let's use chicken feathers, now chickens don't drop feathers but they could, SUGGESTION! every time you hit a chicken there is a 25% chance that it drops a feather, chicken feathers would sell for 1 gold. Next is the stick, well we already get sticks from bushes so there's those. And last the tip... This is where you get different arrow types,

Icicles (dropped from Blue Slimes) give you Frost arrows which slow enemies for 5% stacking up to 5 times.

Sheet (dropped from Ghosty) gives you Ghost Arrows which pass through enemies, every time it hits it deals 25% less damage (up to 3 times).

Bee Stinger (dropped from Mrs. Bee) gives you Poison Arrows, does 10 damage every .4 seconds for 2 seconds.

Own

Anything to let the bow become viable as a main weapon is unlikely to happen because it would probably take away from the skills and spells, I think?

The bow seems to just be that thing you use to finish off a hard enemy from a distance, or save your butt in Arcade Mode. I think the only time I use it is to kill Vilya quicker in the Black Ferrets battle, or do some extra damage to Winter when he's hiding in the blizzard. Most new people use it to kill the beehive boss battle ASAP.

I would like to see poison as a special effect to a skill, though. Fire seems to do a set amount of DoT, poison could do a set max HP % amount of damage to non-boss enemies? That would make fire best against small HP enemies and poison best against big, high HP enemies.

There are surprisingly few status effects in the game the player can actually use. Which is a shame, 'cause I love playing a debuffer where I can. :D

UTech

Rabby
The bow is a fun weapon as it is now, but it seem somewhat too simple right now. The solution? Arrow types!

You could have fire arrow, that would set the enemies on fire, or ice arrows, that would slow them down. You could even have a crystal tipped one, that would be slower to fire but would do a bigger damage. The possibilities are infinite!

If not arrow types, special accessories that could have these effects with them. They could apply them to the bow or to the main weapon itself! Or simply being able to buy a different bow.

Just wanted to know what you guys think about it.
the apple hat increases bow damage, so a bow increase related item for each equipment slot sounds like a ton of fun for the time being!