[Audio] No sound at all

Aramintai

Green Slime
Got this game today and can't get the sound to work. I've Windows 10 x64 and Realtek HD Audio with 5.1 speakers. Switching to stereo, restarting and reinstalling doesn't help. Other Steam games are working fine.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Hey! Sorry to hear you're having issues :(

First off, if you're closing in on having more than two hours play time due to fixing this bug, consider asking Steam for a refund! It's automatic as long as you've played less than two hours. After you get a refund, you can download the demo later on to see if it works, without the risk of losing money.

Anyways: I'm suspecting that something is crashing the sound engine, which makes the game shut it off rather than crash. This has the unfortunate side effect of "hiding" the error message, however. I'll have to add an in-game command that checks the status of the sound engine and prints errors related to it... but that doesn't help you in this exact moment.

It's a bit of a long shot since you reinstalled the game already, but you could try verifying the cache in case there is a corrupt sound file. (Right click on game in library, select properties, go to Local Files and then click Verify Integrity of Game Cache)

Also, if you check the volume mixer in windows, does the sound bar belonging to the game move at all, or does Windows also report the game as completely silent?

Aramintai

Green Slime
Chill, guys, I've figured it out. I've been using a mod that fixes no surround sound bug in Windows 10 for Witcher 3 and some other games. I've reverted it back to original files and the sound started working.