Binding of Isaac-style arcade challenges?

Own

In the Binding of Isaac, you have 10 challenges on the main menu that radically change the way the game is played with small changes. These offer a reward of some sort when you finish them and people tend to spend quite a bit of time trying to master them.

So I think there should be a board you can interact with in town, containing a list of unlocked challenges you can choose to undertake for more more experienced players. :)

Examples:

Labyrinth - # of rooms on every floor is doubled and the minimap shows nothing. EXP, drops, score and gold are halved to compensate for this. Rewards: Beat the first 2 floors to unlock a 'Pyrite Shield' perk that makes all defended attacks break your shield, but increases score gain by 10%. Optionally, an actual 1 HP shield that has the same effect. Beat the first 4 floors to obtain a map item for your house.

Boss Rush - A full blitz through every boss in the arcade mode in a row with no healing inbetween, only gaining levels from the bossfights themselves. Rewards: Kill the first 2 bosses to unlock a sword bush in your town. Next 2, a shield bush. Complete the entire boss rush for +1 Maximum Perk Slots.

Antimagic - MP does not regen passively, nor does it regen between rooms, refilling only when transitioning between floors. Persistent magical effects like summons or shadowclone vanish between rooms, requiring them to be resummoned. Every skill or spell used is a precious resource. Beat floor 4 to unlock 'Energy Pack' perk, which adds +25-50? MP. Beat floor 8 to unlock 'Arcane Blade' perk, which refills your Energy meter by a % of weapon damage dealt.

Roulette - Every level up assigns a skillpoint into a random skill, with no more manual placement. Beat floor 8 to unlock 'Skillpoint' perk, starting you off with 1 bronze skillpoint.

Eriktion

Green Slime
<3 binding of isaac

dont we have that allready?
in form of quests in town

im sure there gonna be more quests in future including those ones

Own

Yeah, but quests are 1-time-only events. I'd like something repeatable. =P With maybe more than one reward at different floors of completion.

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
Let's calm down a bit with making this game the new "I wanna be the Boshy". I actually, believe it or not, want to be able to beat this game. XD

Own

Let's calm down a bit with making this game the new "I wanna be the Boshy". I actually, believe it or not, want to be able to beat this game. XD

If you've never played Binding of Isaac before, the normal game remains unaffected. Those are optional challenges, not requirements.

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
I've played BoI before. :D I like the challanges but I have to be realistic, I'm not amazing at Arcade mode. :D

Adrian Kristensn

Green Slime
I agree that the game should give players some real challenges.
Make normal mode doable for the casuals, give the hardcore players challenges that make them sweat.

Not sure the "Copy Binding of Isaac" strategy is right for this game...

Aurophobia

Halloweed
The idea behind it isn't bad. To give variety to those who have completed all the quests, or just want a slight change of pace. But I'm fine with how they did it, using challenge rooms and priests to change things up, and which bosses occur, though its only about 3 per area right now. I'm sure they'll add something to ease that, "there's something missing" feeling.

Fred

Developer
Staff member
I do like the idea and replayability is the name of the game for Arcade Mode. We still have a lot of planned features that hasn't made it into Arcade Mode yet that will add more varity to each run, but it's always nice for the true hardcore players to be able to change it up!