Brawler/Hand-to-hand skillset + relevant story mode ideas, weapons etc.

Raeden

Rabby
I looked around the forums but didn't see a suggestion for this.

I realize this would create a LOAD of animation work but this is an idea that I think would be saweeet!

I'm a huge MMA/brawler fan and I was thinking that it would be cool to have a melee style of skills based on hand to hand combat.

You could have kicks, punches, jabs, uppercuts, jump attacks, slams, elbows & knees etc.
The archetypal character that comes to mind would be Bane from Batman or any MMA fighter.

If you focused on attack speed/crits you could have quick jabs and kicks etc.
If you focused on strength you could focus on haymakers and slams, heavy hits etc

If you wanted this skillset to be more unique you could have a combo system where your attacks get stronger the more combos you get in, but if you get hit then the combo is interrupted. Perhaps only some attacks can be used once you have hit a certain combo threshold.

You could do like: 'Jab-right hook, left hook, knee in the chest, and then unlock uppercut or something.

You wouldn't need to add many items since it could use the stats from existing gear but adding brass knuckles as a weapon or boxing gloves etc would make it so you are at least holding a visible weapon.

Then in the single player story you could even add a new Arena mode where you fight with other people from around Grindea in hand to hand combat only. Try to hit them out of a circle or just remove their health.

Just throwing some ideas around. I think it'd be amazing!

If you are interested in adding more variations of skills this could be fun.

Thanks for reading!

Own

That would require an immense number of new character animation frames to the game, I think. Especially since it would revolve around complex body movements and combos to attack enemies, and not just swinging a light/heavy weapon, or charging a skill and watching it's animation go off.

For reference, this is how many frames the Sprite alone from Secret of Mana has with Claws.

popoiewithclaw.png

I swear half the work from that game went into the sheer number of combat animation frames for all the weapons.