Breaking up Quests / Codex, improving Codex?

Own

I don't think a lot of people really notice the actual enemy part of the Codex for a long while, since it's buried under Quests and most people don't need to check their Quests menu unless they take a while between playing sessions. Breaking up quests / maps / achievements / side-activities / high-scores (Arena/Archery?) / etc and the enemy codex seems like it would help with this.

People also like the idea of progress when they're doing something, particularly when they're grinding. I know because when I was grinding the Gift for it's card (still haven't got it :p), I got bored by Present Shields dropping fairly quickly.

To alleviate some of this, and make killing enemies more than a dozen times more interesting, perhaps each enemy in the Codex can 'level up' in information the number of times you kill it, and have a codex alert when enemies level up? So you kill:

1: You unlock the enemy's image, level and # killed in your codex. Everything else about the enemy is ???.
5: Enemy description.
10: Item silhouettes.
20: Enemy's HP and base damage.
30: Weaknesses / Resistances
50: Item drop % chances.
100: Card drop % chance.
200: Elite enemy HP and base damage.
300: Description adds what bonus the Elite version of an enemy gives you.
1000: Presents the toggleable option to make all of that enemy spawn as elite? Max rank.

Killing an elite could count for 10 normal enemy kills, and 'big' enemies (Yeti/Pecko) could have their kill orders halved.

Maybe showing your Codex to one of the researchers in the lab, or Oak at the farm, could offer some sort of bonus when you obtain a certain number of codex level-ups? :)

Bonus Codex Questions:

What are 'Weaknesses / Resistances'? No enemy thus far has any. Was this scrapped, or is it to be added later?

Why is the entry for Pecko the Pecko Doll instead of the Pecko? Placeholder, oversight or intentional? :p

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Damn fine suggestions, if you ask me!

What are 'Weaknesses / Resistances'? No enemy thus far has any. Was this scrapped, or is it to be added later?

Why is the entry for Pecko the Pecko Doll instead of the Pecko? Placeholder, oversight or intentional? :p

Scrapped! Their spot will be replaced by #killed and... something. The game is actually already tracking that, but it's not being displayed anywhere! The reason for scrapping was that it felt randomly limiting/rewarding to do a certain build and suddenly being very strong or very weak against a new enemy, or worse, a whole area!

The Pecko Doll-image is a placeholder, which may be considered a borderline oversight since I've personally pretty much forgotten about it :D

Neko

Green Slime
I actually was kinda wondering earlier in terms of number of enemies killed as earlier I was farming guardians and wondered how long it had taken to get just one crystal from them.