[Build] Hybrid Summoner Build

This is a build that is hard mode viable but pretty weak with the current state of Frosty Friend (which is pretty decent in arcade but weak in story). Hopefully if Frosty Friend (and maybe Summon Plant) is ever reworked this build will be a strong summoner build, leveraging damage from summons and basic attacks.

In this guide I will describe what skills and talents to take where, what items to acquire, and how to deal with various bosses.

Pre Exam
Use weapon of choice (I prefer Big Branch) and spec all your points into Cloud Strike. For talents take Fencer, if you max it take Burning Weapon.

Gigaslime
Difficulty: Easy
Just like fighting Gigaslime with any other attack based build, your attacks won't do as much damage but you got Cloud to add to your damage.

Post Exam
Go grab a MATK Rod from the Blacksmith, also grab a Metal Shield if you didn't farm a Barrel Shield. Any extra silver skill points should be spent on Summon Plant in preparation for the Flying Fortress bosses, though you can put a point into Frosty Friend if you want. Put any extra talent points into Surgeon and Brutality (the crit talents).

Flying Fortress
Here you can farm for Plasma Bracelets if you want. They aren't necessary to beat the Flying Fortress bosses, but I'd recommend getting them eventually and now is a better time than ever. While you are farming Plasma Bracelets you should also get a Brawler Plate since it is a more common drop.

Phaseman
Difficaulty: Easy
When he is top go to the left side and charge a plant right before he phases there. While he is on the left side wail on him with attacks. When he phases to the right side you want to drop a charged plant in the center, and after he phases to the center you're going to want to drop a charged plant at the top. Basically just repeat this pattern, getting attacks in when you can.

Sentry
Difficaulty: Hard
This would be easier with a straight attack build that could burst him down, but it is still plenty doable. At the beginning of the fight you're going to want to drop two plants and wail on him. Once he spawns some stuff you're going to want to switch to dropping plants on him when you have opportunities, but wave clearing otherwise. You should prioritize enemies differently. A shielding crystal that is protecting Sentry should be dealt with first, otherwise you can't damage the boss while clearing other things. Next should be any laser crystals, as they are by far the most annoying enemy for you, limiting your mobility. After that you should deal with any robots. It is arguable whether you ever want to kill Wisps, and you definitely don't want to kill crystals that are shielding wisps. For Wisps you just want to block their projectiles, since the projectiles are slow you should also be able to perfect guard them. Their projectiles do really high damage to enemies when reflected, which is why I recommend attacking Sentry over Wisps.

Gund4m
Difficulty: Medium
Gund4m is a fight about damage avoidance, it doesn't really matter how much damage you deal so it is more or less the same for every build. The best way to damage the Giant Fists is to attack them from the middle of the arena and drop a charged plant under their resting spot whenever they go for a punch, prioritize dodging missiles over damaging Giant Fists. Once the Fists are down you'll want to hop up on his shoulders, drop two plants next to his head, and wail on him. It is more important to get off before he recovers than it is to damage him, it will take three or four attempts no matter what so getting a little extra damage isn't really worth it. When he goes into bullet hell mode the first time I recommend standing next to the laser gate at the entrance. Stand directly in front of the second beam from the right and you'll be able to dodge the first three waves of red orbs, block the first purple orb, and dodge the final two waves of red orbs, all without taking damage. Then just run around and avoid the rest, the Giant Fist and red orbs are most important to dodge. When he goes into his final bullet hell mode you'll want to stand in the same place, here you can dodge the first purple wave and the first red wave. After that just use your instincts. Remember that you have your shield if damage is unavoidable and if you think you are going to get hit no matter what run into the blue tracking arrows to give yourself invulnerability frames at the cost of just a slight amount of damage.

Marino
Like with the Gigaslime, this fight basically plays out like it would with any other attack based build. Perfect guard his charges if you are confident, dodge them otherwise. When he does his four part shadow dash you're going to want to move either up-down-up-down or down-up-down-up to easily avoid it.

Pre Toy Factory
You'll want to go to the Hall of Memories and farm Phaseman for his two drops (boots and helmet). The boots are the best defensive option in the game and the EP regen will help with the Angry Toy Machine, the helmet is an amazing offensive-defensive option for this build. You'll also want to farm Gund4m for the Laser Sword component, as it's the best one hander in the game. The reason to use one handers is for the higher damage, the crit consistancy, and the more frequent Burning Weapon procs.

Angry Toy Machine
This is the one fight in the game that this build particularly excels at. By now your plants should be pretty strong for stationary enemies, and I actually recommend unsummoning your Cloud for this fight. Also it is important to bind your Rod and newly acquired Laser Sword to quickslots, start with your Laser Sword equipped. At the start kill the two Frostlings and green presents. When Machine spits out a group of presents, kill the green presents but leave the red presents, this is very important. Quickswitch to your MATK Rod. Now just run around in circles kiting the red presents, every time you run past the machine's face drop a couple plants, they'll do all the work for you so you don't have to take any damage from presents. When the train is getting ready to spawn you'll want to set up the track and then drop three or four plants next to Machine, then switch to your laser sword and wail on him. Once the train hits and everything goes back to normal you want to switch to your MATK rod as long as there are no green presents.

Pre Temple of Seasons
Spec some points out of Summon Plant and put them into Frosty Friend instead, plants do very little for you in the Temple of Seasons. You're going to want to farm Frostlings until a pair of Frostling Shoes drop.

Season Hydra
Difficaulty: Easy
Just dodge the fire, trigger Winter, and switch to your Frostling Shoes. Never change the season, just dodge heads and ice rays, attack heads when they are on the ground. Not much more needs to be said.

Final Words
Talent points beyond what are listed are basically up to preference, I like to put them into Strength since you'll have more ATK damage than MATK damage with current endgame gear, Adaptable would be better if it was buffed but in it's current state it is just better to use what you are more specialized for. If you're farming for pet food prioritize getting crit and damage above anything else, CSPD and EP aren't useful for this build. If Frosty Friend and Summon Plant ever receive a buff to where they become useful more than just specific situations then Arcane Collar might actually be useful. Currently this build is pretty weak at handling arena style situations where you have to kill multiple waves of enemies, if Frosty Friend is ever buffed this should change.

Last edited:
I meant to title this thread "[Build] Hybrid Summoner", but apparently you can't change the title of a thread or delete it after it is already posted.

I also didn't include Black Ferrets. Like Gigaslime they are pretty much the same for any attack build, and Marino is all about either dodging or perfect guarding which is more of a personal skill than a strategy. I can add him if you want though.

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
I meant to title this thread "[Build] Hybrid Summoner", but apparently you can't change the title of a thread or delete it after it is already posted.
You can still change the title. :p SoG Forum Change Title.png
Click Thread Tools and in the dropdown menu you'll find "Edit Title".