Character Portrait Option

Neonie

Green Slime
Hi there! I discovered this game today thanks to Giant Bombs quicklook of it. I played the demo and I really dig it. I love the sprite art, I love the music, the atmosphere and pretty much everything else about it except for one thing: The character portraits.

I think they are very well done, and I'm not at all critiquing the design or quality of them or anything like that. My complaint is simply a matter of taste. The character portraits are evocative to me of a 90's school show type of style in the vein of "The Magic School Bus". It's not a look I can say I really enjoy in this type of game, especially when the pixel art to me hearkens back to the days of Japanese top down games (with LoZ; A link to the past clearly having been a huge inspiration, were you guys disappointed with Between Worlds too?). What I am asking for though is not a different style, but merely the ability to turn the portraits off if that is at all possible.

Whatever the answer, I'll very likely be buying the game and have already convinced one of my friends to do so as well. I wish you all the best

Oh, also please tell me "Protocol:Marisa" is a reference to a certain other witch named Marisa who loves to toss danmaku patterns at you ; )

Vilya

Developer
Staff member
I'm the one making the portraits, and I would very much like to see this feature myself. The portraits have improved a bit since we started remaking them, but I totally understand that the style, quality or way they're re-sized isn't to everyone's liking. I would feel terrible if my portraits were the one thing that threw everyone off when playing the game.

In the end, it's up to Teddy, though, as he's the one that would have to implement a system for showing the dialogues differently depending on if you're using portraits or not. He hasn't made a decision regarding this yet, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Neonie

Green Slime
I'm the one making the portraits, and I would very much like to see this feature myself. The portraits have improved a bit since we started remaking them, but I totally understand that the style, quality or way they're re-sized isn't to everyone's liking. I would feel terrible if my portraits were the one thing that threw everyone off when playing the game.

In the end, it's up to Teddy, though, as he's the one that would have to implement a system for showing the dialogues differently depending on if you're using portraits or not. He hasn't made a decision regarding this yet, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Thank you very much for responding to my post! Since you're the one making them I feel it's doubly necessary to emphasis it is very much not a critique on quality. To be honest I think they are quite well drawn, all other things aside. My complaint specifically is more a matter of taste then anything, and secondarily a matter of well I guess I would have expected them to look a bit more anime but I'm obviously very biased in that respect haha.

Anyway, I'll be interested to see what happens in the future then. Thanks very much again : )

Raeden

Rabby
I REALLY hope they don't make anime portraits. I actually really enjoy the current portraits and find them unique to this game whereas anime portraits are very common and I am not much of a fan of them, at least not anymore. I'd rather have portraits with less exaggerated features that anime styled art has, for example large ass eyes/mouths etc.

The current portraits are more realistic to how humans look and I enjoy this.

I particularly like the warrior/trainee portraits where they're bald but have those little strands of non-shaved hair. I like it!

Donald

Rabby
I REALLY hope they don't make anime portraits. I actually really enjoy the current portraits and find them unique to this game whereas anime portraits are very common and I am not much of a fan of them, at least not anymore. I'd rather have portraits with less exaggerated features that anime styled art has, for example large ass eyes/mouths etc.

The current portraits are more realistic to how humans look and I enjoy this.

I particularly like the warrior/trainee portraits where they're bald but have those little strands of non-shaved hair. I like it!
I find the portraits(and the game overall) very refreshing.