Cloud sync mistake, lost everything. [SOLVED]

Raeden

Rabby
Hey, I had invited a friend over to my house to play coop and when he went on one of the computers he synced his cloud save as steam had asked him which file to sync. I went on a different computer in the house and played with my file and character and everything.

Later after he had left I went back on my steam account on the PC he was using and it asked me which cloud sync to use. I chose the most recent one. Since I was playing with him but I was upstairs I had thought the recent Sync would be my character still.

I ended up syncing his file to my game so now all my characters and progress are gone. I have poured hours into this game collecting nearly all cards, leveling up pets and my main character and crafting nearly everything. Not to mention I had over 750 essences of grindea in arcade mode with a lot of achievements and buildings built etc.

Is there anyway to get my Save back, with my story progress, my character, my arcade progress? If I can't I probably won't be able to play this game for a long time just because of the frustration and upset.:(

Thanks,
Kind regards

ark626

Hi, did you already check the savefile folder?
I would recommend to check weather you maybe still have the old files.
First dont do anything now, backup the whole savefolder.

I think inside the saveFolder is some BackupFolder but i cant promise anything, im currently at work and cannot check this.

Also check the save file on the other computer.

Backup all folders somwhere safe, then you can exchange the backups with the actual ones, to see which ones are yours.

EDIT:

http://secretsofgrindea.com/forum/i...upted-save-files-please-help.9099/#post-28214

Found sth.

To quote Teddy

The game keeps regular backups, so maybe you can restore one from before the corruption!

In the file explorer, go into %APPDATA%/Secrets of Grindea and find the Backups folder. In here you should see folders named after all your characters. Go into the appropriate folder. The auto 0-4 are rolling backups. Sort the folder by date to easily see which of them was made last! The “005h” and alike are permanent backups made every hour.

Choose a backup you think is appropriate, and copy it to the “Characters” and/or “Worlds” folders. Replace the save file of the slot you want to recover by deleting its save and renaming the copied backup to the correct slot. The 0 save file corresponds to your first save slot, 1 to the second, and so forth.

If it's specifically the character that's bugged, and not the world, you only need to restore the .cha-file.

Raeden

Rabby
Hi, did you already check the savefile folder?
I would recommend to check weather you maybe still have the old files.
First dont do anything now, backup the whole savefolder.

I think inside the saveFolder is some BackupFolder but i cant promise anything, im currently at work and cannot check this.

Also check the save file on the other computer.

Backup all folders somwhere safe, then you can exchange the backups with the actual ones, to see which ones are yours.

EDIT:

http://secretsofgrindea.com/forum/i...upted-save-files-please-help.9099/#post-28214

Found sth.

To quote Teddy

I found the folder that has the backups. I see the world files and character ones. I pasted which world and character file I thought was the correct one into those folders but I didn't see them in game. I also don't really understand what teddy is saying by deleting and renaming saves. And what about Arcade and how to get that back? I see what looks like an arcade save but not sure.

I see things like 035h.cha which I'm assuming is a character backup and I see 035h.wld which is world? is world like the saved game? but then I see things like auto1.wld Not sure what that is. And not sure what files I'm supposed to rename

I tried putting 035.cha in the character folder and the same with the 035h.wld in the world folder and then i renamed them to 2.cha and 2.wld but then when i did that I got a weird message that says that the latest save could not be loaded and the game has automatically recovered the latest non corrupt backup.

So I tried it again with a different file and now nothing even appears in a save slot and the files I renamed were renamed to something else. It's frustrating

Last edited:

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
The easiest way to get the latest backup is to sort the folder in reverse chronological order (newest file first)!

If you copy the latest .cha and .wld and rename them to a number between 0 and 8 the game should recognize them. Weird that the game said one of them was corrupt though!

The .cha files are used for level, equipment, cards etc while the .wld is used for quests and story progress. They are separated for multiplayer purposes!

Since the problems started because of Steam cloud sync, you might want to disable it temporarily. It can mess with backup recovery sometimes.

To disable Steam Cloud for the game, go into your Steam Library, right click the game and choose Properties. Go to the Updates tab and make sure the Steam Cloud checkbox at the bottom is unchecked!

Raeden

Rabby
The easiest way to get the latest backup is to sort the folder in reverse chronological order (newest file first)!

If you copy the latest .cha and .wld and rename them to a number between 0 and 8 the game should recognize them. Weird that the game said one of them was corrupt though!

The .cha files are used for level, equipment, cards etc while the .wld is used for quests and story progress. They are separated for multiplayer purposes!

Since the problems started because of Steam cloud sync, you might want to disable it temporarily. It can mess with backup recovery sometimes.

To disable Steam Cloud for the game, go into your Steam Library, right click the game and choose Properties. Go to the Updates tab and make sure the Steam Cloud checkbox at the bottom is unchecked!

Turning cloud save off has made it work. Thanks for that suggestion! Now the only thing to figure out is how to revive my arcade mode save. I see in backup there is an arcade mode folder with some auto saves.
and I see a file in the main folder that says "arcademode.sav but not sure what to do. Do I take an auto save and paste it in the main folder and rename it to "arcademode.sav?

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Sounds like your Steam Cloud settings file might've gone bonkers! If you don't need it for playing on multiple computers, I'd suggest keeping it disabled, or you can try to reset the file as described in this post:

[Gameplay] Main quest progress lost

Raeden

Rabby
Sounds like your Steam Cloud settings file might've gone bonkers! If you don't need it for playing on multiple computers, I'd suggest keeping it disabled, or you can try to reset the file as described in this post:

[Gameplay] Main quest progress lost

Thanks, that worked! Everything is solved! I appreciate your time & patience. If possible, the threat title could have (solved) placed in it. I don't think I can do that myself