(Conversation) Any % Speed running T and fix??

Thalldor

Green Slime
Thread Status: Unsolved
This thread will be solved when I see fit.

Hey there, so I have speed run many games and I think this would be an interesting game to speed run although I am rather fond of any % (Any % means that I use glitches or skipping anything in anyway to simply complete the game.) Is there any speed running tactics and as well will the speed running glitches that are purely used for speed running will they be fixed as having glitches there for speed runners in any % to use is great although that doesn't mean you should purposely put bugs into the game for speed runners to exploit off of course. From how I see this game its either going to be a boring split second thing of just doing everything perfectly or it can be very interesting and fun depending on the circumstances. I like having a challenge in my speed runs although if if its just perfecting and doing frame perfect then meh.

Ardeof

Rabby
SoG will probably have bugs after release, just more rare/difficult to do. SoG also won't/shouldn't have hexadecimal bugs like Mmx and mario runs do. I could be wrong, but SoG runs will hopefully be more about skill choice and movement efficiency over glitches.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
For there to be hexadecimal errors/bugs, I think you'd have to find an exploit in the coding language (XNA) because, so far as I know, most programming languages are simplified versions of other, more complicated programming languages. I would assume Windows or iOS are programmed in hex (like the GameBoy was... ahh Pokémon, so broken), as it saves disk space.

Of all the bugs I've experimented, they all seem incredibly stable and can't be exploited to a great degree to the player's advantage, especially to give a faster game completion time. Having said that, the best way to exploit a bug/glitch is find out what happens in the code when you do it, and see if there's anything you can do along the way or afterwards that gets you even deeper into the glitch. All the testing I've done has been experimental, none of it has involved looking into the code.

Ardeof

Rabby
For there to be hexadecimal errors/bugs, I think you'd have to find an exploit in the coding language (XNA) because, so far as I know, most programming languages are simplified versions of other, more complicated programming languages. I would assume Windows or iOS are programmed in hex (like the GameBoy was... ahh Pokémon, so broken), as it saves disk space.

I haven't checked how speedrunners find glitches, but I wouldn't be surprised if the speedrunners just tried a bunch of things and eventually ran into something. Though most of the games speedrunners do aren't that large anyway, so reading through would be easy enough.

Compilers typically turn a language into Assembly. Where the flaws come in is how the program itself is coded, it almost never has to do with the compiler itself. When writing a program, especially back in the old days, programs were crammed into small amounts of storage and had to run on tiny amounts of memory (if any). This is where all of the glitches begin, because now a quick combination of actions by the player can manipulate the game itself. Usually the devs try to separate things like: "Opening a menu accesses this, and since player will be in menu player likely won't be trying to do ____". Then players do exactly what isn't expected.

Kind of like this:

Most games nowadays won't run into those kinds of problems unless they aren't finished being developed. Sadly some dev groups release games that still have these kinds of glitches (Bethesda).

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
I haven't checked how speedrunners find glitches, but I wouldn't be surprised if the speedrunners just tried a bunch of things and eventually ran into something. Though most of the games speedrunners do aren't that large anyway, so reading through would be easy enough.

Compilers typically turn a language into Assembly. Where the flaws come in is how the program itself is coded, it almost never has to do with the compiler itself. When writing a program, especially back in the old days, programs were crammed into small amounts of storage and had to run on tiny amounts of memory (if any). This is where all of the glitches begin, because now a quick combination of actions by the player can manipulate the game itself. Usually the devs try to separate things like: "Opening a menu accesses this, and since player will be in menu player likely won't be trying to do ____". Then players do exactly what isn't expected.

Kind of like this:

Most games nowadays won't run into those kinds of problems unless they aren't finished being developed. Sadly some dev groups release games that still have these kinds of glitches (Bethesda).
I love that speedrun. It's so amazing how they can re-program the game inside itself to get to the credits. :D