Could pets attack and why don't they?

Hobo

Rabby
So pets are pretty cool, they're basically walking buffs that follow me around, but it kind of bothers me i'm going around fighting with this pet right next to me and his not so much as scratching the enemy. I mean, if they could die and stuff rather than being a passive buff with a pet visual I think it would make for a bit more interesting gameplay.

I'm more curious of the decision behind this rather than actually suggesting they fight.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
There's a few reasons behind this. First and foremost, workload. Even pets that already have offensive behaviors in their original form, like those in the game right now, require extra work to implement and test, not to mention if we add pets that aren't strictly based off enemies!

Also, when we included the pets the role they were to fulfill was visual/companioney rather than have a direct impact on gameplay. Like an animated hat that was following you around! Think Ragnarök Online.

But, we didn't want ROs issue of having certain pets simply being better (all pets gave small stat boosts - some much better than others). If we were to make the pets offensive, like the summons, some pets would become boss while some (I'm looking at you, Green Slime) would have a hard time catching up!

Having them fight is a legit suggestion, and a route we could've taken, just not the one we took!

Plus you can already summon pets who attack, the "regular" pets are like another piece of gear. The passive bonuses and something to do with all those berries and fish is a cool idea. Speaking of that, you guys should mark what is pet food so players like me don't sell all their "junk" the first time they get to town. Oops. :)