[Crash] Game crashes on launch (first time)

ganon0070

Green Slime
After trying to launch for the first time the game pulls up a blank window followed by a dialog box saying that SoG has stopped working.
I've tried a couple of suggestions from searching like making sure windows is updated, uninstalling, and turning off cloud sync to no avail.

About half a year ago a few game (hearthstone, Diablo 3, and this war of mine) experienced different issues dealing with directx which was solved by reverting directx back around 6-8 months or so. This might be the issue but considering it was the fix to have other games work i dont know.

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
Have you tried going into the steam folder and uncheck the Run this program in compability mode? (If the box already is ticked that is.) Secrets of Grindea>Properties>Compatibility>Run this program in compatibility mode

Have you tried reinstalling XNA and DriectX?

Have you tried if the non steam version works? (Demo download: http://www.secretsofgrindea.com/index.php/demo )

If the game is starting up in Fullscreen mode then try open the config file in "%APPDATA%/Secrets of Grindea" with the editor of your choice and change
"Fullscreen [0 = windowed, 1 = fullscreen, 2 = windowed fullscreen]
0"
to
"Fullscreen [0 = windowed, 1 = fullscreen, 2 = windowed fullscreen]
2"

Hyperlord

Rabby
I had that two times - first after "Upgrading" from Demo to Steam Version.
In Steam, I had to right-click the game, select properties and then clicked "verify files" - after that I was able to play again.

The second time I tried frontlinie version of the game and went back to "normal" - same thing but was able to fix it with verify ...

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
I had that two times - first after "Upgrading" from Demo to Steam Version.
In Steam, I had to right-click the game, select properties and then clicked "verify files" - after that I was able to play again.

The second time I tried frontlinie version of the game and went back to "normal" - same thing but was able to fix it with verify ...
That sounds like DirectX or XNA had a corrupt file from the installation which the verify files would detect and fix. :)

ganon0070

Green Slime
I've already tried verifying it
Its trying launch in windowed mode
Demo has the same issue :(
Neither are in compatibility mode (and didnt work when i tried it in compatibility mode)
reinstalled xna and direct x didnt work on both also (forgot to mention i tried this before xD but np)

ganon0070

Green Slime
GOT IT TO WORK :D
Turns out it was trying to run off the integrated graphics card in my laptop and not Nvidia....im like 90% sure ive had this issue before but simply forgot it >_>

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
GOT IT TO WORK :D
Turns out it was trying to run off the integrated graphics card in my laptop and not Nvidia....im like 90% sure ive had this issue before but simply forgot it >_>

Glad you got it to work :D

In case other people have the same issue: where do you find out you're using the wrong graphics card, and how do you change it?

ganon0070

Green Slime
Glad you got it to work :D

In case other people have the same issue: where do you find out you're using the wrong graphics card, and how do you change it?
right click (works on both the file location and the desktop icon)> open the drop down for "run with graphics processor" > mine gives me the option of nvidia and the integrated one

same as you would get to properties or run as admin
as of now i have to select it when ever i open it, but there is probably a way to set it to run nvidia by default