[Crash] Game crashes on launch (steam)

wibbitty

Green Slime
Hi Teddy,

I've read some steps to fix/repair steam, verify game cache, and redownload the game -- it still doesn't work (Windows 7 x64). [frontline]

Some .NET errors I got:
----------------------------
Application: Secrets Of Grindea.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException

Exception Info: System.IO.FileLoadException
at SoG.Program.Main(System.String[])

-----------
Faulting application name: Secrets Of Grindea.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5954c3ce
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.23572, time stamp: 0x57fd0379
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000c54f
Faulting process id: 0x850
Faulting application start time: 0x01d358601465be52
Faulting application path: Z:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\SecretsOfGrindea\Secrets Of Grindea.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 5317bebf-c453-11e7-ab8e-005056c00008

I wonder what was wrong.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Hey! Yes, a very strange error!

My first two thoughts are antivirus or needing to run as admin.

Are you running any antivirus? If so, does it help to temporarily disable it and then run the game?

You can also try to start the game as administrator. This is either done by launching Steam itself as administrator, or by going into the game's folder to start the game via the file explorer. (Right click on the game in your library, select properties, go to Local Files and then click Browse Local Files to open up the folder)

Does any of those two help? Also, have you been able to run the game before?

wibbitty

Green Slime
Hello Teddy!

I'm using Avast for sometime now and have it disabled for this test. While I'm also using a COMODO firewall, I made sure that the game exe has full access privileges.

I have also tried to run the game executable as admin. Unfortunately, it displays the same exact error (above).

I was able to run the game before but that was around the frontline 0.65x.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Dang :(

There are some basic startup diagnostics you can turn on for some potential clues!

Go into the game's properties, and click on "Set Launch Options". Type "-startuplog" (without the quotes) there and then OK. Next time you start the game, it should create a text file called "startuplog.txt" in the folder I mentioned before (%APPDATA%/Secrets of Grindea). Hopefully this will give us a hint about when it crashes!

Have you done anything to the game's install location by the way? This one time, there was a player who had the game installed on an external drive and couldn't run it, but when he installed it on his OS-drive it worked for some reason!

wibbitty

Green Slime
Hello Teddy!

I did the set launch options thingy but I see no "startuplog.txt" file in the said folder.

I usually install all of my games in a non-OS drive (not external drives). If in some cases the OS acts up, I can just refresh it without having to reinstall my entire game library.

Update: I stumbled upon a chkdsk report file in my current OS that it found a lot of corrupted system files and it tried to repair them. It was a mess. No wonder some other applications also crash.

I performed a system restore to when everything was in good condition and the game loads now. :)