[Crash] Managed to crash with the blue fairy again.

Own

All potentially relevant details.

2P co-op.
P1 used Cloud Strike.
P2 (me) used Snowman.
In Arcadia, Blue Fairy was activated.
On F3 I took about 25% HP in damage, maybe a bit more.
Bishop appeared, offering a challenge. S-Rank time or double damage, I forget.
The next room is cleared.
Nurse appears immediately.
Bishop appears right after her, under her.
Bishop tries to give his item, game crashes.

I reload the game, join in, we go through the game again with the same builds but no blue fairy.

Many bishop quests were taken, none crashed the game.

I have long, long, long said that the blue fairy has a bug in it that crashes the game for P2-4. It has been the cause of visual desyncs and seed desyncs (both since fixed I think), and still crashes. I wonder what's so broken about it?

(Also got the bug on the second run where you can't see Gundam's fists punching as P2, but they are moving. This bug seems fairly consistent. Wonder if Frosty Friend being the first to hit the fist has anything to do with it? The one the host was hitting I could see punching easily.)

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Yeah, I've documented closely the stream you linked in the other thread about this, and I'm fairly confident I know kind of what's causing the crash! I'm going to attempt to reproduce it when I get some bug-fixing time (right now I'm focusing on optimizing multiplayer for the dungeon bosses).

I think this crash eluded me for a while because I didn't take into account that network messages run in error catch blocks on release builds, because most network errors are not game breaking. This makes it so that the game never crashes on the actual moment of the bug, but later when some related code wants to be run in the main game thread. Thus it looked like Bishop crashed when changing animations, when in fact it's most likely when he's assigned an ID, which both you and I suspect that the sneaky fairy has somehow stolen! Perhaps the same ID conflicts is what makes Frosty Friends catatonic at times, too...