Crit Potion? And/Or a buy able item to increase crit in pets?

Well we should cover all of the pet options with something you can buy right? Also the crit potion could increase crit by maybe 25%? I really don't know, Its all up to you guy!

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
25%?
Holla, my main char already has 44% from armor + 7% from my pet, so 51%. With such a powerful potion, and later in the game, I could crit with every hit.

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
I don't think a crit potion would fit in the game. I think it would either be over powered or not worth it. If you want something to boost the crit stat on the pets then maybe just have some kind of pet food store that sells pet food or just leave the crit as something hard to farm since items already give you a huge amount and having easy access to crit on your pet would probably break the game balance with the current crit options. I think crit is a more valuable stat that should be harder to farm. I also expect better fish to be found later in the game so leveling up crit in the later stages of the game would be easier.

Own

I think potions as they stand exist very strangely in the game.

When potions first become available to you, they're a little beyond your paygrade.

As soon as you return from the Flying Fortress you can buy a reasonable supply if you even need them, but chances are they're more a luxury than a necessity.

And as soon as you start hunting in Winter you can buy as many potions as you could possibly want, given how cheap they are and how long they last. Other games put a limit on buffing items by capping the amount of them that you can carry, but my main character has about 500 +DMG potions on him.

I can't think of how to rebalance potions in a good way, though. Maybe make them like the Quiver by adding a Potion Satchel? You can carry # potions out with you, Bag doesn't want potions in him after a previous owner messily spilled a bunch inside of him?

Oh, there is the 'Potion Sickness' method too, like Terraria has for Healing/MP potions.

You could make it so that after chugging a buff potion you can't use another one for ### seconds, or you can't use another one without losing some % of HP, or some other penalty.

That way you can use your +DMG potion for 60 seconds, but you can't use another potion for 5 minutes. Or you can't without triggering potion sickness.

This would have a few positive side-effects:

- +Potion Duration talent actually becomes worthwhile.
- Other talent possibilities open up, like -# seconds to Potion Sickness duration, or -% to HP penalty when Potion Sickness is triggered.
- Incentivizes people to get the best possible potions, expanding recipes. Want to pop a +DMG and a +DEF potion, but you don't want to choose between the two? Craft 5 +DMG potions, 5 +DEF potions, # Scrap Iron and # Yeti Fur together for 5 Spiked Shield potions which boost DMG and DEF simultaneously.

The other reason potions in their current form confuse me is because +Health potions were removed from Story Mode because they required every boss fight be balanced around the assumption that players had health potions. Don't the other potions do that too?

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
I can't think of how to rebalance potions in a good way, though. Maybe make them like the Quiver by adding a Potion Satchel? You can carry # potions out with you, Bag doesn't want potions in him after a previous owner messily spilled a bunch inside of him?

I really like this. The potions could be made pretty useful but the player can only carry 5 at a whole.
I'd propably carry 2 Speed potions and 3 strength potions

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
The other reason potions in their current form confuse me is because +Health potions were removed from Story Mode because they required every boss fight be balanced around the assumption that players had health potions. Don't the other potions do that too?
I'm not sure but when I do my speedruns for fun I can kill Gun-D4m in two cycles with one of the DMG potions you get from the chests a little bit earlier in the temple so I'm not too sure if that's intended but it saves the player a good 20-30 seconds since you can skip the third cycle where GUN-D4M usually sits at around 10-15% HP.

I'm not sure but when I do my speedruns for fun I can kill Gun-D4m in two cycles with one of the DMG potions you get from the chests a little bit earlier in the temple so I'm not too sure if that's intended but it saves the player a good 20-30 seconds since you can skip the third cycle where GUN-D4M usually sits at around 10-15% HP.
I really like this. The potions could be made pretty useful but the player can only carry 5 at a whole.
I'd propably carry 2 Speed potions and 3 strength potions
I think potions as they stand exist very strangely in the game.

When potions first become available to you, they're a little beyond your paygrade.

As soon as you return from the Flying Fortress you can buy a reasonable supply if you even need them, but chances are they're more a luxury than a necessity.

And as soon as you start hunting in Winter you can buy as many potions as you could possibly want, given how cheap they are and how long they last. Other games put a limit on buffing items by capping the amount of them that you can carry, but my main character has about 500 +DMG potions on him.

Oh, there is the 'Potion Sickness' method too, like Terraria has for Healing/MP potions.

You could make it so that after chugging a buff potion you can't use another one for ### seconds, or you can't use another one without losing some % of HP, or some other penalty.

That way you can use your +DMG potion for 60 seconds, but you can't use another potion for 5 minutes. Or you can't without triggering potion sickness.

This would have a few positive side-effects:

- +Potion Duration talent actually becomes worthwhile.
- Other talent possibilities open up, like -# seconds to Potion Sickness duration, or -% to HP penalty when Potion Sickness is triggered.
- Incentivizes people to get the best possible potions, expanding recipes. Want to pop a +DMG and a +DEF potion, but you don't want to choose between the two? Craft 5 +DMG potions, 5 +DEF potions, # Scrap Iron and # Yeti Fur together for 5 Spiked Shield potions which boost DMG and DEF simultaneously.

I don't think a crit potion would fit in the game. I think it would either be over powered or not worth it. If you want something to boost the crit stat on the pets then maybe just have some kind of pet food store that sells pet food or just leave the crit as something hard to farm since items already give you a huge amount and having easy access to crit on your pet would probably break the game balance with the current crit options. I think crit is a more valuable stat that should be harder to farm. I also expect better fish to be found later in the game so leveling up crit in the later stages of the game would be easier.
25%?
Holla, my main char already has 44% from armor + 7% from my pet, so 51%. With such a powerful potion, and later in the game, I could crit with every hit.

Wow I would have never though of it would go to this, should I rename the title to "Potion Re-balance"? I really like all of your guy's ideas and I do think that some of this should be implemented into the game, and having buy-able pet feed seem like the best solution. I personally never used potions but yeah they do need a re-balance in story mode.

Edit: Maybe the fisherman (who gave you the fishing rod) could give you a quest where you give him [x] amount of each fish and then he will sell them permanently.

Last edited: