[Development] Old game build used for recent update? Old bugs returned.

Own

I'm not making an individual thread for each of these because I suspect they're all tied to an old build of the game being used for the most recent update.

- Blizzards are once again invisible for P2+ in Arcade Seasonne challenges.
- As well as P2+ in Arcade Winter challenges.
- Toy Factory initial enemies once again invisible for P2+ in Arcade Winter.
- Toy Factory window in the upper right corner has returned, unless I'm misremembering that being removed.
- I suspect, but can't confirm as I've yet to encounter, that hydras may once again be invisible for P2+ for their first volley.
- The quick level up option is once again sometimes not displaying in arcade multi. (or was this never fixed?)

Own

Nope! Static Touch wasn't used until the very final floor, because "Hell, what else are we gonna dump these points in?";)

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Let me rephrase that to: What skills were you using that run? :D

It's not an old build, but the cause might be similar!

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Hmm... it should be a spell ID issue, but not sure of the source

Had you done any runs before this, in the same session? If so, during these, do you remember if you used Static Touch specifically, or other persistent spells (summons, shadow clone, berserk mode)?

Own

We had about 5 earlier runs (3 of which were cancelled on floor 1 due to a laggy rabby bite) but all we used even then was Whirlslash. Because S-Ranks with anything else is nearly impossible. :D

Why would that make the window in the top right corner of the toy factory room reappear even if we were using static touch? I could almost swear you removed that because it was unnecessary. I could be completely misremembering that, though.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
It simply can't be a build that old because Static Touch was introduced in the build last week!

I'll have to roll up my sleeves and see if I can reproduce this thing!

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
And I can't remember touching that window for a long time, so either I never fixed it or something magical has happened :D

Own

It simply can't be a build that old because Static Touch was introduced in the build last week!

I'll have to roll up my sleeves and see if I can reproduce this thing!

I can hop in as P2, if you need a second player for testing it / testing whether or not Invisi Hydra Smash is back. :)

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
One of the best features of our old IP based library (Lidgren) is that it has some really cool lag simulation, so I'm able to do tests like these with multiple windows on the same computer :D

My prime suspect was Static Touch because it's a new spell, and also a persistent one, which makes it a bit more complex to track. However, thanks to your high score hunting purist build I could cast off that hunch and instead look into Whirlslash!

And, well, I had forgotten the Gold Charge had introduced the need to create a spell instance on clients (the spell controls how many spins are done before the finisher, etc). Before the clients just showed the animation

It seems that sometimes, the client doesn't receive the information it needs to create said spell instance and proceeds to just create on its own, grabbing the next ID for it. This could very well lead to race conditions between the host and client, causing a whirlslash to "override" other spells, such as blizzards.

This should be the cause of much of what you mention, although it wouldn't explain the Hydra ninja headbutting again. :mad:

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
(to clarify, you don't need to use the gold charge itself for these changes to affect things!)

Own

Oh, no, I never actually saw the Hydra invisi-headbutting. I just thought it was worth looking into, since the Toy Factory mobs were invisible again. I figured if one was back, the other might be. :p Hopefully it isn't.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
I thiiiink I've got it now. I'll patch it momentarily!

It would be kind of hilarious if this bug actually wasn't what caused your ghost storms though!

Own

My co-op buddy is offline so I can't test it right now, buuut... I somehow doubt the Steam players will be good enough at the game to get up to Seasonne and onwards in one day. So it doesn't really matter. ;) Everything up to Seasonne works just fine.