Emotes

Nightsky

Green Slime
I really love the emotes that can be done as a ghost, it adds a bit of fun when playing with friends.

In fact I like them so much that I wish the normal player characters could have some of their own so that you could express yourself and generally goof around in multiplayer. I think it would be hilarious if I could make my character lift both of his arms up in victory after making a killing blow, or after finally getting that rare drop I've been after (or for any random moment I choose!).

I realize button mapping is likely a concern for something like this, but perhaps one of them could be set as a modifier to switch between the normal quick slots and a row of emotes?

Anyway I'm sure there's more important matters to work on, but it seemed like a fun idea to me.

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
I know in FFXIV a realm reborn (the mmo) they let you bind emotes in your hotbar so you could prioritize emotes over spells. Which I totally never did... *Cough*

Own

After a week very little sleep, this is what I worked on yesterday.

Well that's cute. :)

If I didn't know how pointless and how much of a distraction it would be for game development, I'd reccomend a sub-menu the player can set specific emotes to automatically pop up in specific circumstances. To help better communicate between players on the fly, without actually having to say what's going on.

Sort of like how Final Fantasy XII set your party members to behave.

[If you fall under 50% HP] ->
[If you fall under 25% HP] ->
[If you level up] ->
[If you are looking through your menu] ->
[If you land the final hit on an Elite enemy]->
[If you land the final hit on a Boss] ->
[If a boss dies] ->
[If you pick up equipment] ->
[If you obtain a card] ->
[If you solve a puzzle] ->
[If you are trapped / immobile] ->
[If you purchase an item] ->
[If you unlock an achievement] ->
[If you finish a side-quest] ->
[If you revive a team mate] ->

I'd personally love to set some sort of animated face flipping through a book icon to loop while I was sorting through my menu, many people seem to get impatient and think their allies are just screwing around while they're in the menu. Or if not being able to set an animated icon, automatically popping up the icon for which exact menu I'm in (bag / equipment / skills / map / etc) to display to my allies what I'm doing.

Shining Soul, the GBA Action-RPG spinoff of Shining Force, even has a system where you can earn or purchase special emotes.

It wouldn't be too bad to have Franceska sell special emotes, or special emote-triggers like the ones above. Or have them earned through special ways, like Achievements, or the Arcade. :p So you could set up cutesy combinations like:

[If you sell an item] -> [Dollarsigns / Raining Gold Coins emote]
[If you put a point into any Fire Magic] -> [Panicing Face On Fire emote]
[If you Perfect Guard] -> [Face With Sunglasses Glinting emote]
[If you survive a room in Arcade] -> [Finger Pointing Onwards emote]
[If you survive a boss in Arcade] -> [Final Fantasy-esque Tiny Sprite Victory Dancing emote]

But, yeah. This would probably take up way more time than what it's worth. ;)

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
I'd personally love to set some sort of animated face flipping through a book icon to loop while I was sorting through my menu, many people seem to get impatient and think their allies are just screwing around while they're in the menu. Or if not being able to set an animated icon, automatically popping up the icon for which exact menu I'm in (bag / equipment / skills / map / etc) to display to my allies what I'm doing.

I think this is a very good idea, honestly! Fred and Vilya was testing Arcade Mode next to me yesterday, and despite being 1 meter apart they complained when the other person was going into the menu. Maybe next time Fred has insomnia he can animate a book emote :D

Reactions: Own

Nightsky

Green Slime
I'll echo support for the book emote, I often felt obliged to tell my friend I was going into the menu just so that she wouldn't think I was AFK! Otherwise she'd run off and trigger the 'Waiting for others' notice over and over to get my attention :p