DragonScholar

Green Slime
I got Secrets of Grindea about 2 weeks ago and essentially played through in a week. That's not usual for me - in fact I downloaded it and wanted to "try it for a bit" then found two hours had passed. That's a sign of how good the game is.

I figured it might help to compile my reactions in one categorized list to provide feedback and discussion- because I love how open everyone is to working on the game. Judging by the feedback, there's going to be enough ideas to make three others after this . . .

Anyway,onward. If it seems detailed, well . . . I manage software development for a living.

POSITIVES:
Presentation

• The presentation is excellent, colorful, and well-done.
  • Menus are mostly easy to use.
  • The soundtrack is very appropriate and quite enjoyable.
  • Each area is highly distinct, with good design.
Plot and Character
  • Characters are surprisingly engaging, art style is good overall. I didn't expect to LIKE characters this much.
  • Story advances easily. I like the fact there's not a rushed pace, but a sense of story just the same.
  • There really seems to be a nice, satisfying, complex, and at-times disturbing plot.
Combat
  • Combat works effectively. The ability to switch in and out abilities works pretty well.
  • Combat is usually not too onerous. You can get into a good rhythm.
Enemies
  • Enemies have very character-filled designs and surprising moves.
  • Enemies having different strategies is welcome, such as the shield-generating Guardians.
Skill System
  • The Skill System is surprisingly deep. Originally it had seemed very light, but when I realized how the skills and talents interacted I appreciated the depth.
  • The way skills can improve and be leveled up to have varied effects adds additional depth. I like how there's different kinds of skill "currency," adding another layer of challenge.
Crafting
  • Crafting is fun and straightforward.
  • I like how items that are craftable are tagged for easy identification.
Minigames
  • Minigames are fun and not overly time-consuming.
  • The way some minigames unlock trophies, etc. is welcome.
  • I enjoy the humor in things like the amusing fish designs.
Quests
  • Quests are clear but have their challenges just the same.
  • The completion checklists are helpful.
  • I like how characters offer new quests over time, adding a sense of evolution.
General
  • The collectable cards are a great addition, not only rewarding grinding/farming, but adding another collectable element and providing welcome stat boosts.
  • The map display with completion is helpful - and adds even more to the game.
  • The game holds together well, with the different elements coming together. Little to nothing about the game felt extraneous.

AREAS OF IMPROVEMENT
Combat

• Shielding unclear. Hard to see, hard to block. Some direction indicator or status would be nice.
  • Combat is at times too "mashy" - needs a bit more strategy, especially as when you get to a boss, suddenly you need a LOT more strategy.
  • The arrow limit is a bit much, especially with bosses. Would suggest more arrows or an accessory (Quiver) that grants more.
  • In general ranged combat seems to be lesser fleshed out. I feel it needs more to really come into its own.
Enemies
  • Bosses are massive difficulty level change and that's jarring.
  • We seem to get a sudden surge of enemies with special abilities in Mount Bloom. A slightly more gradual ramp-up would be nice. Perhaps earlier enemies should be a bit more challenging or have more unique abilities.
Skill System
  • Need easier respec. The cost gets prohibitive, and that's an issue with such a rich system.
  • I am concerned the silver/gold leveling method is complex and unclear. It may help to spell it out. I like the complexity, but it gets a bit unclear.
Quests
  • Sometimes where to go isn't always clear in quests. Maybe (for some) a general regional display may help.

Short form - the game is impressive for a small team with so much content and polishing, it shows excellent, integrated design.