[Forum] Could we pin the BIG out of bounds and clip thread?

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
It's not something we want to show off, I get it, but if it's a collection it's probably worthy pinning it to the top, right?

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
I think that's a reasonable suggestion. It's the same as the other big threads we have so I don't see why not. It's now pinned like the other two. :D

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
How does the ordering of the pinned threads work? Is it most recently posted in first, latest pinned first, or the oldest first? Either way, the "READ ME" thread should probably be at the top :p

GarlicJelly

It looks like they sort depending on which one had the most recent activity. I'll see if I can figure something out.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Is a bump the only way of doing it? What if you now delete your post? If that works, I'll watch the post and see if I get a notification after you've made a post and deleted it. That way we avoid spamming :p

[Edit]: Probably should've posted that on your status, but oh well, it's done now.

[Edit 2]: Right I'm watching the thread. Feel free to test when you're ready.

Last edited:

GarlicJelly

Is a bump the only way of doing it? What if you now delete your post? If that works, I'll watch the post and see if I get a notification after you've made a post and deleted it. That way we avoid spamming :p

[Edit]: Probably should've posted that on your status, but oh well, it's done now.

[Edit 2]: Right I'm watching the thread. Feel free to test when you're ready.
I did the test before and when I remove my bump the thread gets moved down again since the latest post is removed.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Agh, that's a bummer. Would there be a better way to make it stand out, such as some fancy ASCII border?

~<%)O{=>[ READ ME: HOW TO SUBMIT A BUG ]<=}O(%>~

Then again, we don't want to encourage people to stick borders on their posts. As long as it catches their attention we could just add a quick note to the start of the post:

"1. Do as I say, not as I do: No borders!

This border is only to catch the attention of newcomers to the site - please don't follow in its footsteps!"

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
If we assume that the thread "How to submit a bug" is the first thread people MUST read before posting anything, you could just unpin other threads and link them in the README topic. The thread will stay always on top and since people will read it anyway, they'll see the other topics from links there.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Good point. Most of them will end up somewhere on the front page anyway, so long as I haven't done a bug marathon. An extra click isn't too much hassle. If it's the only one there it'll stand out anyway.

GarlicJelly

If we assume that the thread "How to submit a bug" is the first thread people MUST read before posting anything, you could just unpin other threads and link them in the README topic. The thread will stay always on top and since people will read it anyway, they'll see the other topics from links there.
The thing is that I don't think everyone reads the READ ME so we kind of need the other ones pinned as well. Unless I make a really good title on the READ ME so that everyone knows that it links to the "BIG" threads, which might not be a bad solution. Let's see if we can come up with the most descriptive title of the year. :p