Version 0.706a

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Summary: This update contains a bunch of minor fixes and additions to the housing system! Also, there's now a prompt allowing you to skip quests you've completed in multiplayer. This weekend (we hope) there should be a slightly bigger housing update, which is probably the last before Stable gets it all.

Recommended level: everyone who's gotten past the first dungeon

Update Description

HOUSING ADDITIONS

We've changed the size of a few items that had very large, annoying gaps of empty space around them, and also added a few new items! Most notably the weapon displays, allowing you to place a weapon and display it in your home.

Hidden is also the ground work for a pretty extensive addition which was mentioned in yesterday's weekly recap! This functionality still isn't quite ready, though, so you'll have to wait for the next update to expand your house (if things go as planned and don't get too bugged out, we aim to release that patch during this weekend).

SKIPPING QUESTS

People who've played large parts of the game with friends will know that when they return to their own character, world progress such as completed quests will not carry over! Considering the game has now reached a pretty decent number of hours of content even for the main story alone, this realization might be quite annoying.

With this patch we introduce a basic version of content skipping, which specifically allows you to skip past quests that you've finished in another player's world. Whenever you receive a quest, a popup will appear asking if you want to skip it, and choosing yes will alter the world state to match. This system allows for quickly skipping through content you don't want to play again, and play through things again if you want to be more thorough in single player (like reading dialogue you skipped because of your infuriatingly impatient pals).

Since the system is tied to quests, as these are one of the few world related things that get saved with characters, an additional quest has been added for when the player reaches the Evergrind Arena for the first time. On old saves, this quest will be added automatically.

PATCH NOTES

Additions
  • Added a system that lets you skip quests you have already completed as a client in multiplayer
  • Housing: Added a new craftable item for the house (ancient statue)
  • Housing: Added a few new housing items available in the carpenter shop (wallpaper, weapon displays, toy train)
  • Housing: Chairs can now be rotated in all four directions
  • Housing: The basic bookshelves can now be rotated
  • Housing: The large statue of a woman now has a skin where it's clean from moss
Changes
  • Patched an attack speed exploit involving switching weapons to cancel a charge animation ;(
  • The gold drop progression of enemies has been altered to give better rewards to endgame enemies compared to midgame enemies
  • Housing: Modified the following items to better fit the space they take up: Beer Keg, Flower Crate and Bush of Seasons
  • Housing: The Hand Tool now has a light attached to it so you can move stuff around more easily in a dark house
Bug Fixes
  • The player house will no longer get razed for the festival!
  • Housing: The Temple of Season floor's grass border is no longer rendered above carpets
  • Housing: Furniture is no longer rendered above the borders of the room
  • Housing: The long white table is now the same size as the other colors
  • Housing: Rotating a short black table no longer turns it brown
  • Housing: Fixed a bug that was giving people a new giga slime chair each time they started the game
  • Housing: The Carpenter no longer sells two of the same candelabra
  • Housing: Fixed a bug that crashed the game if placing a table in a corner, moving it, rotating it, and then canceling

Own

People who've played large parts of the game with friends will know that when they return to their own character, world progress such as completed quests will not carry over! Considering the game has now reached a pretty decent number of hours of content even for the main story alone, this realization might be quite annoying.

Is this only for quests you've completed in multiplayer? If I delete my world file, will the game realize my character has already done all those quests when I load up my character in a fresh world?

Also, how does the system consider a quest 'completed'? If I join a friends world right before they finish the Temple of Seasons, does the game think I've completed the entire temple and offer to let me skip it in my world? Or do you have to be present for the start and end of the quest?

Own

- The "Duplicate' furniture menu still lacks an 'All' selection, like 'Buy' used to.

- There's a stray green pixel on the Ancient Statue's inventory picture.

- The game will let me put 2H weapons on 1H stands, but not vice versa.

- The filled/unfilled 1h stand is different, the filled one seems to be a pixel off place. Has a black bar under it.

upload_2017-6-13_9-47-42.png

- The Smashlight has no lighting?!

upload_2017-6-13_9-48-25.png

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Is this only for quests you've completed in multiplayer? If I delete my world file, will the game realize my character has already done all those quests when I load up my character in a fresh world?

Also, how does the system consider a quest 'completed'? If I join a friends world right before they finish the Temple of Seasons, does the game think I've completed the entire temple and offer to let me skip it in my world? Or do you have to be present for the start and end of the quest?

All quests completed by a character in any way. It's the same system that shows the "Already rewarded"-prompt when completing a quest for the second time! As long as you were there when the quest was completed, you'll get the option to skip it. It's up to the players to decide if they'd rather miss some content than replay the end of a quest if they joined in the middle!

- There's a stray green pixel on the Ancient Statue's inventory picture.

I blame Vilya!

- The game will let me put 2H weapons on 1H stands, but not vice versa.

I blame- ...dang :chicken:

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
- The Smashlight has no lighting?!
Well...
Ji6dpMk.png

res7less

Jumpkin
Um, I placed Angel's Thirst onto a stand and had to restart the game a couple of times while translating and when I came back to the house, the weapon was gone. :( The evil stand swallowed my shiny weapon...

Own

I put like 10 fireplaces in my house, suspecting that the audio would increase on itself over and over. And it did! Ow, my ears. :D

Am I mistaken, or did the lighting get changed? 0% lighting is no longer pitch blackness.

I know! There's like three should-be-illuminous weapons. :( Devs pls

Um, I placed Angel's Thirst onto a stand and had to restart the game a couple of times while translating and when I came back to the house, the weapon was gone. :( The evil stand swallowed my shiny weapon...

Check your inventory, it auto-deposited my weapon back into my inventory.

res7less

Jumpkin
Okay, I tried removing the stand, restarted, checked out the Shady Merchant in case he somehow has it (he is way too close to my house and now I know where he gets his goods from! :p) and then went to Tai Ming 3 to trigger the painting and... it dropped there again. It looks like sneaky Terra steals back her weapon from decent people's weapon stands while they're away!

PS: Love the interaction with the Ancient Statue. I twitched there for a second and braced myself for combat, because it happened so unexpectedly.

Own

Looks like it's my time to lose an item. I set up a multiplayer world, put a 2H stand on the ground. Put my birch branch on the stand, and had my 2P go into 1P's house. 2P didn't see the birch branch. I close the game and reopen it on 1P, and my stand is there but my birch branch isn't. It was deleted.

Own

Okay, I think I got it to reliably happen. It seems like it's the result of your house saving at a different time from your character. If you put the weapon on the stand, then immediately save and quit, when you load back into the world your item will be gone.

... but... wait. If it works in that direction, then surely...

:D

Hello, item duplication glitch! Just do the steps in the opposite order and you can duplicate infinite numbers of weapons from your weapon stands!

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Am I mistaken, or did the lighting get changed? 0% lighting is no longer pitch blackness.

That is correct! I had to change the lighting system a bit to make way for room-per-room lighting, and having different lightning profiles on the same screen leads to some interesting visual issues as rooms near pitch blackness. I might be able to tweak down the darkness a bit more, though.

Okay, I think I got it to reliably happen. It seems like it's the result of your house saving at a different time from your character. If you put the weapon on the stand, then immediately save and quit, when you load back into the world your item will be gone.

Ah, nice catch! I'll dive into it and make sure the house saves when certain objects are manipulated.

@res7less , do you think it could be something like that which happened to you, too?

res7less

Jumpkin
@res7less , do you think it could be something like that which happened to you, too?
Sounds very much like it. I also assumed the cause to be a discrepancy between saving the house/world and the player, but didn't want to state any assumptions, leaving the tech stuff to you :D This should be fixed pretty soon before players start losing their weapons left and right. Or... the other way round.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Yeah, I just uploaded a hotfix with it! Hopefully most people have been going into the housing menu after placing their family heirlooms!

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
But... you barely gave anyone a chance to item dupe :(

I'll make sure that, in future, I publish any new item duping bugs during a period of long story development so a hotfix is incredibly inconvenient - if I publish it at all ;)

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
But... you barely gave anyone a chance to item dupe :(

I'll make sure that, in future, I publish any new item duping bugs during a period of long story development so a hotfix is incredibly inconvenient - if I publish it at all ;)

I don't think item duping bugs are necessarily "fix on sight". Bugs that can delete unique items, on the other hand... :D

This bug happened to be both simultaneously!

Momizi

Rabby
idk but my game hangs like crazy in the main town

like its so bad i cant even move

this is new ever sence the housing update

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
idk but my game hangs like crazy in the main town

like its so bad i cant even move

this is new ever sence the housing update

This only happens in Evergrind? Did it happen after buying the house or does it lag even though you haven't bought it yet?