[Gameplay] All non-health potions in Arcade are double-used.

Own

It appears that, whenever I use a DMG, Speed or DEF potion in boss fights in Arcade, it uses two at the same time. No idea why this is.

No clue if it's happening outside of boss fights, I've just been using them in Season Temple.

Own

Oh, I blanked on that. I just opened up Story Mode, opened my menu, went to Consumables, selected an Attack Potion to drink and it drank two simultaneously. After that it all consumed only one no matter the potion, though in Arcade Mode I could have sworn it continuously drank two potions each time.

I assume it's related to the bug where if you tap ESC for the first time after loading the game, it auto-closes the menu right after - unless you're holding ESC to keep it open. A fair amount of things in the game behave that way, actually. I think I've seen a few other people experience this bug as well, but they never seem to realize it. They'll tap ESC, the menu will automatically close, then they'll tap it again probably thinking they closed it by accident.

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
I've had 2 potions disappearing on me in story mode. I haven't tested it properly since last time I played was over 2 weeks ago but I was fighting the room with the crystal boss in the Flying Fortress I quickly used one of the potions you get from the chest outside. When I then made it to GUN-D4m I noticed I only had 1 potion left. I assumed I just pressed the button twice or something but I think it might actually be a bug.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
And via Quickslots? (I can't replicate this by giving myself pots and chugging them)

Own

I opened my Story Mode game, appeared in Grindea, Damage Potion on Quickslot D, tapped D. Two potions used. 1 potion used past that.

Walked over to Shady Merchant, pressed Z. It counted as a double press, skipped his choice menu and went right into his amulets/rings menu.

Closed game.

Reopened game.

Tapped ESC. Some letters appeared in a dark coloring, then immediately closed as if the button had been pressed twice. Menu opened and closed normally after that.

I managed to screenshot the dark letters that appeared when the menu auto-closes after opening for the first time.

cMAR8L8.png

Tapped right with the menu open. It skipped over equipment and went right to Bag. Moved normally after that.

I dunno what it is that causes the game to sometimes trigger immediate double button presses, but somehow I doubt it's simply a double button press. Because when you chug a potion from the inventory, it closes the Use Item menu and forces you to have to select it again to chug another one. This means that it's triggering the Use Item button twice before it closes.

This is a really strange bug and it only seems to affect some people, no idea why. :p I mean, I can work around it by just holding the button down when I do things. If I hold ESC, my menu doesn't auto-close the first time. If I hold down Z when selecting Use Item, it only chugs one potion. So I guess that's a decent workaround.

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
I play single player and use the quick slot for the potions. I'm pretty sure Own's right with it only happening once after you've started the game

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Does these things happen with high consistency for you, Own? It's extremely frustrating for me not to be able to replicate the bug, but I know it happens and I've seen it in Let's Plays and such as well.

If you're able to replicate it almost every time you restart the game, then maybe I could write in some basic diagnostics in the next update, which you could use to generate some form of log of what the heck is happening! Something tracking input state changes and duplicate function calls for something specific, like opening the menu.

Own

Yep, I can replicate it 100% of the time, every time single I launch up the game. Honestly, it isn't a huge problem (outsideof double-chugging), everyone else never notices it and thinks they just hit the button twice. I only noticed because it's been present ever since it was on IndieDB/Desura. :p

I'd be glad to get some logfiles for you of the double-chug / double-menu / double-shopkeep in action once you put it in.