[Gameplay] Cannot enter text when using XB360 controller

Jonsquatch

Green Slime
I recently got my hands on a used Xbox 360 and related accessories, so I figured I'd try out using a controller rather than keyboard to see how it feels. The game recognized the controller fine, but when I went to create a new character I couldn't seem to figure out how to enter text. Attempting to type normally did nothing, even after the controller was unplugged (starting the game with a controller attached seems to lock it into an Xbox control scheme, even if the controller is removed afterward). None of the buttons seemed to do anything, and the game simply showed a blinking cursor like it was expecting me to use the keyboard. Naturally, this prevented me from starting a game as it refused to allow me to progress unless I entered a name in.

Granted, this is probably just user error and there is a perfectly logical method of doing this, but given that every other menu option before then seemed to have perfectly well-labeled and intuitive controls it seems strange there was no prompt or anything for how to enter text.

Jonsquatch

Green Slime
@MrChocodemon

Yeah, see, that's what I thought, but starting the game with the controller plugged in seems to "lock" the keyboard, preventing me from typing anything. Unplugging the controller doesn't help either, as the game apparently still expects controller input.

I ended up circumventing the problem by starting the game without the controller and using the keyboard to create the save, then quitting out and restarting it with the controller. I guess my question is, am I supposed to be able to type while using the controller and this is not working as intended, or have the developers not implemented controller-based text input yet and it is just expected that new characters must be created with a keyboard control scheme?

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
It certainly doesn't lock the keyboard as I always play with the controller and never unplugged it, but have created around 10 characters and use the ingame commands all the time.

Maybe you have just a problem selecting the text field with the controller?

EDIT:
I quickly made a video where you can't really see me use a controller, but i use a controller to navigate the menus, and when you click on "new" character, the game automatically selects the name field and I can just type.
So, click on new char, chose your looks, press ok, and start typing your name...
that is the way it should work

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
You CAN type with the controller, but the Steam interfaces for that are for some reason only available when you're playing in Big Picture mode!

And yes, you're supposed to be able to type even with the controller plugged in, so that's very weird. More than very weird, even, as the typing code isn't even connected to the actual character controlling code!