[Gameplay]Dodge Roll/Jumping

KieranCarden

Green Slime
I think it goes without saying that I am loving this game and can't wait to see further implementations as the game progresses.

Preface: I did a quick search and saw the dodge roll idea had been suggested in a "First impression" thread, but I would like to reiterate my approval of this suggestion.

All that being said, one thing I always personally find myself wanting in a game is some form quick movement (dodge roll, dash/blink/phase/etc, side-stepping, etc). For this game in particular I think a dodge roll with a dedicated button for it (as opposed to equipping it as a skill) would be amazing. It doesn't necessarily have to be something you start with at the beginning of the game - perhaps an unlockable passive skill, something you learn after a boss battle, or learn mid-way through a dungeon. I personally think it would make battles a bit more interesting, though hopefully not take away from the difficulty of them. Maybe I just haven't gotten a good pattern down yet or something, but I feel kind of restricted in battles with just a shield as a defensive tactic.

The other thing I (again, this is just what I like personally) like in a game is the ability to jump - whether it serves a purpose or not. I feel it comes down to the freedom of movement. This doesn't necessarily have to change the gameplay as far as interacting with world objects go (like no jumping over pits or anything, though it would be a nice mechanic on top of an already great ensemble of things to do). What I do feel it could add to greatly is battles. Maybe have "in air" specific skills that can be used (I'm thinking sword strikes, launching fireballs downward, etc). This could allow for more air-born enemies that while you're on the ground can't be harmed, and you can only hit while jump-attacking.

If you really want a far-fetched idea, combining the two above so you can dodge roll while jumping would be a neat thing you don't really ever see in sprite-based games.

Just my two cents.