[Gameplay?] People are hitting level 35?

Own

I'm not sure how this is possible, considering I grinded the heck out of Presents/Gifts for a while a while back with no movement in my EXP bar. I always assumed that EXP diminished, to the point of 0, the higher the gap between Your LVL / Enemy LVL was. Because you don't want people outleveling the next content update to the point of it being a joke when it releases.

Was something changed? Am I missing something? Because my StoryMode character is level 23 and their EXP bar hasn't budged in a while.

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
I'm not sure how this is possible, considering I grinded the heck out of Presents/Gifts for a while a while back with no movement in my EXP bar. I always assumed that EXP diminished, to the point of 0, the higher the gap between Your LVL / Enemy LVL was. Because you don't want people outleveling the next content update to the point of it being a joke when it releases.

Was something changed? Am I missing something? Because my StoryMode character is level 23 and their EXP bar hasn't budged in a while.
Are you sure they are just not using the commands to max out a gold charge skill or something?

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
It is in theory possible to reach any level legitimately, since the game (for now and maybe forever) uses a Fire Emblem type of EXP gain. You need 10k EXP for each level, and how much EXP you receive from an enemy depends on your level vs. the enemy level, and whether or not the enemy is a boss. The lowest possible amount of EXP one can get is 1, so killing 10000 enemies will actually always level you up.

We use that system because of its automatic scaling, so we don't need to spend any thought on adhering to exp curves! Now we just need to ask ourselves what target level we want players to obtain when they get to a new area, and place the enemies at that level. The only sort of downside is the one mentioned above, that when you're 8+ levels over something, you might as well kill slimes as there is no room for nuance. Maybe we'll change the 10k exp per level to a higher arbitrary number and make the gain phase out slower. Or just phase the 10k out slower, for that matter!

Whether or not it's likely someone killed the 120k enemies required for going from 23 to 35 is another story!

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
It is in theory possible to reach any level legitimately, since the game (for now and maybe forever) uses a Fire Emblem type of EXP gain. You need 10k EXP for each level, and how much EXP you receive from an enemy depends on your level vs. the enemy level, and whether or not the enemy is a boss. The lowest possible amount of EXP one can get is 1, so killing 10000 enemies will actually always level you up.

We use that system because of its automatic scaling, so we don't need to spend any thought on adhering to exp curves! Now we just need to ask ourselves what target level we want players to obtain when they get to a new area, and place the enemies at that level. The only sort of downside is the one mentioned above, that when you're 8+ levels over something, you might as well kill slimes as there is no room for nuance. Maybe we'll change the 10k exp per level to a higher arbitrary number and make the gain phase out slower. Or just phase the 10k out slower, for that matter!

Whether or not it's likely someone killed the 120k enemies required for going from 23 to 35 is another story!
I think that would be possible to do. If you use some kind of external program to keep your character moving up and down in the Slime area while using Frosty Friend and Cloud Strike you could possibly achieve AFK farming. I haven't actually tried this myself but I'm guessing it would be possible. :)