[GAMEPLAY] Skill buttons resetting in Arcade

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
For me, about every 3 or 4 arcade runs, the skills I allocated to specific keys reset. For example, I like to have my active skills (eg. the bow, Ice Nova, Earth spike etc.) on the bottom row (numpad 1, 2 and 3), passive skills (Shadow clone, snowbuddy etc.) on the middle row (numpad 4, 5 and 6) and potions on the top row (numpad 7, 8 and 9). But sometimes my Shadow Clone gets reset back to numpad 2, or even worse, the health potions, meaning I might accidentally pop a health potion instead of using the Nova... Which is never good :/

This might not even be a bug at all? Is it supposed to be an intended feature or not? If not, could you possibly add this? Would be really helpful :D

[Edit]: Latest frontline version

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
How are your hotkeys ordered? The system remembers what buttons you have things, but if you pick something up or level a skill that has no saved slot (or if the saved slot is taken), then it will just be placed in the next free quickslot.

The things you least of all want to be switched around are best to place in the quickslots on the bottom right, since unless you fill up the entire bar those shouldn't be touched!

If they still are, then it's a bug :D

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
I have my keys (in order) going from Numpad-1 to Numpad-9, then Numpad-0, like so:

Quickslots.png

Here's how I level in Arcade:

Level 1: Bow is assigned to Numpad-1
Level 2: I get Shadow Clone and put it on Numpad-4
Level 3: I get Ice Nova and put it on Numpad-2
Level 4: I continue to level up the Shadow clone until about level 8, when I start upgrading the Nova again
I assign any health potions to Numpad-7, and any other potions I happen to get to Numpad-8 (never gotten more than 2 different potions in a run :/)

It only resets every few runs as I said, defaulting the Shadow Clone to Numpad-2, so I doubt that it's something to do with my key configs... But then I'm no tech wizard :p

Is it a bug then?

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Yeah, it's starting to sound pretty buglike!

Have you ever assigned anything else to Numpad-7? Like if you get a potion when you haven't got any health pots? That's the only way I can think of that the health pots should reset to Numpad-2.

If not, then it's definitely a bug! I'll take a look at it. If you happen to see some pattern on how I might reproduce it, please post it here! :D

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
I don't think I've ever touched anything else with numpad-7, or added anything to Numpad-4 where I store the Shadow Clone. So I'd say it's a bug :p

I'll have a poke around tomorrow (or later today, seen as it's just passed midnight) and see if it's every certain amount of runs! :D

Own

I know exactly why this happens, it happens to me a lot but I never thought it was a bug so I never thought to report it:

Arcade only remembers your last run's specific placement of skills and items. So if you put Smash on R and Health Potion on V, on your next run Smash will automatically go on R and Health Potions will automatically go on V.

But if you start a new run and then End Run or die before you get either Smash or Health Potion, the game'll forget where you put them and put them in the first available position as usual.

Own

It would certainly be a convenience. I only thought it wasn't a bug because it was a lack of convenience.

Like, every time time I play Arcade I immediately move potions to R/V in co-op or I remove them from hotkeys period in singleplayer to avoid accidentally chugging them. It's a tiny bit inconvenient but not enough for me to make a fuss over. :p I wouldn't say no to the game remembering my preferences.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
The reason I'd find it more annoying is because my runs tend to last an average of 5 minutes, and so this tends to happen on a regular basis if I'm doing a batch of runs, which I often do :p

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Looking at the code for this I'm totally confused at myself! I had very explicitly told the game to behave the way it is behaving, by having it reset any empty quickslots... I have no idea why I'd do that.

Hopefully I just completely derped out when I wrote that line, rather than having a superb reason for it! It's removed now, so after the next patch the quickslots will be a little bit more cooperative.

Cheers for helping me solve it!

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
I think this meme feels appropriate right now.
"The game works in mysterious ways.... And so do I!"
index.php

(Sorry Teddy)