[Gameplay] Steam invite not working

ShinySkies

Green Slime
I enjoy playing co-op with my friends, however the steam invite doesn't seem to work properly for us anymore. The first time we've used steam invite it worked perfectly, but after that, we've gone into the winter area and started the snowman quest together, while he hosted, the next time we tried to play together I couldn't get back into the co-op when he hosted. However if he tries to join when I host it does work, the save progress is not at the same point though.

I am not sure what might be wrong, we both have the same version so this shouldn't be a problem. Also the port should be open.

Own

You don't need ports open with Steam invites. Are you sure you're both in the Frontline edition, though? Or... perhaps both of you closing and relaunching Steam may help? I think I did that once and it sorted the problem out for me, Steam just needed to run some update for matchmaking I guess.

If you want a temporary fix, try telling him to go to the Options on the Main Menu and disabling connectivity via Steam. If you already have your ports open, you may as well try joining via IP. :)

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Make sure your friend's Drop In setting is set to "Yes"!

Edit: The big Invite button in the lobby is supposed to work even with Drop In set to "No", but it's not working for some reason. I'll take a look at it! For now, Drop In must be set to "Yes" for invites to work ;(

Bakuan

Green Slime
I am having the same problem with my friends. Before the most recent update, we were able to play together. So we tried playing yesterday but we couldn't all connect. At first one of my friends could connect with another then after we restarted the game and relaunched steam, none of us could connect at all.

Bakuan

Green Slime
Yep it is Teddy. It was something about this update that made it so me and my friends couldn't play together. Not sure if it helps but my friends and I had a similar problem with this before from a previous update. Then after the major update about being able to invite people off of steam it worked until the most recent update.

Vilya

Developer
Staff member
So the person hosting has the Drop In setting set to yes? What happens when you try to connect? Does it time out, does the game freeze? Is there some kind of error message?

Bakuan

Green Slime
For me, the when anyone of us try to connect with each other, it tries to connect but it never does so it times out.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Does this happen regardless if you use IP or invite via Steam? Note that everyone must use the same setting! So if you host via Steam, the clients must also use the Steam network feature.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
I can't really make out what happens when you try to connect! Can you send us a screenshot, or describe in detail the steps the host and the one connecting takes when this happens?

Vinnystylez

Green Slime
I'm too having the same issue, we were playing fine. Then took a break for like 10 mins. Came back and i wasn't able to join my friends or they can join mine, where before it was fine. It just get stuck on "Connecting"

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Try restarting your games. Both of you. That's what GoodStuff and I did and it seemed to work. I think if you time out (lose connection) then the game doesn't let you join another one. Haven't tested that too much, but it seems to be the case from what I've experienced.

Vinnystylez

Green Slime
These the things i've done:

Re-installed the game twice.
Restarting computer/router Both ends.
Tried connecting via IP and Steam
Tried Arcade and Story Mode.

and nope nothing so far
and yes ran as admin and port forwarding.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Ah. Undo the admin and port forward. That's for when the game wasn't on steam, and is outdated... But you had it working before right? You might be getting the same thing Goodstuff and I had.

Vilya

Developer
Staff member
We recently solved a few co-op connectivity bugs, does it work for you guys now?

(Here's to hoping they still check the forums)