Got Game, Slow from Menu Screen

Grytorm

Green Slime
Hello there. I got this game because I saw some videos on youtube. And so I got it on steam and installed it in my three week old Windows 10 Dell computer. The whole system runs very slowly from the main menu and I have trouble accessing any of the options. I've changed it to full screen which has helped a little. Last time I tried to start the game it loaded but went so slowly as to be unplayable. Thank you for any advice.

As far as I know I am trying to play the stable version.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
What kind of machine do you have? Some systems have an integrated graphics chip and a dedicated graphics card, and sometimes the computer use the wrong one! In that case you must make sure the game is using the actual graphics card.

You should be able to check this in your graphic's card control panel (for Nvidia cards I think it's under 3D settings)

Grytorm

Green Slime
Um, looking at it I do have to graphics cards and I set the high performance one as the default. I can't quite tell if it worked. Trying the windowed mode. And it might be an improvement? Which of the zoom options is optimal for performance? I'm not particularly good at computers a lot of the time. fiddled with options in the graphics control panel and chose the options which favored performance.

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
The zoom level should not affect performance.
Choose based on what closest to your real resolution.
1 x ==> 640 X 360
2 x ==> 1280 X 720
3 x ==> 1920 X 1080

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
If you open up the task manager (right click somewhere empty on your taskbar and click Start Task Manager), does it look like the game is using up a lot of CPU? Does any other process eat up a lot of CPU?

A reminder I usually post with issues like these: try to keep the play time below 2 hours when troubleshooting this so you can get a guaranteed refund if you don't get it working! Usually you can still get a refund even if you pass the 2 hour mark, but it's easier if you're spent less time in the game.

Grytorm

Green Slime
At this point, the main menu is working okay but not great and game play is still frustrating. The name of the starting location loads super slow. And when I have the patience to try to move it takes a few moments to happen. And when it does it just jumps across the screen. So far I've spent around 30 minutes "playing".

Looking at the task manager, it says that it only uses maybe a couple percent of the CPU. I don't quite know what that means. Also, would getting all the computer updates help? And is there an online component to this game which might cause a slowdown. My internet at home is pretty slow, around 100 kb/s. Also, does the dedicated graphics card have a certain amount of RAM associated with it, or does it use some sort of automatic allocation. Mostly I thought about trying to increase the dedicated RAM, but I can't find the option easily and from what I've read on line it might not actually help.

Going to shut off the computer all the way and hopefully close random background programs that could be causing problems. (Maybe I could experiment with the security stuff and see if it is interfering, don't have time now.)

Edit: Well, it turns out that I needed to update the computer. Stupid computer. Sorry for wasting your time and thanks for the help.

Last edited: