Great game, but catching pets DDR-style? Horrible!

NDroid

Green Slime
Hello SoG-players and ofcourse SoG-devs!

Just wanted to tell you I like this great game very very much and I've waited for such an ARPG for many years (after playing Secret of Mana/Seiken Densetsu 3 on the SNES in the old days), BUT....

Catching pets is made on such an awful irritating way!
Just now I've been able to catch the slime and rabbit pet easily, but then the "pumpkin" came.....
OMG!!
I have been trying to catch it for over like 1,5 hours and tried with both gamepad and keyboard, but
every single time I fail at that horrible DDR("Dance Dance Revolution")-styled mini-catch-game.
Over and over I tried, but it looks to me it is WAY to fast to solve it (buttons that needs to be pressed are too near to each other?).
Out of frustration I almost smashed my gamepad and keyboard through the glass of my monitor.
Why this horrible mini-game?

Please DEVS!
Please (!!!!) skip or re-balance this DDR-styled game in the next update, as this made me stop playing your game as of now.
This game is so great, but I'll never be able to catch anymore pets this way!

I don't know if players experienced the same?
But for me this is really undoable.
Maybe it's because I always hated DDR-styled games or never played much, but this is really too hard.

I hope many more hours of gameplay (just like the length of games in the old days) will be added in the future, because this game is like a dream coming true for ARPG fans like me (and I've played through thousands of games since 1988).

I hope you all realise this game could be the next Zelda or Secret of Mana. It's just epic...!! :)
Keep it that way.

Keep up the good work devs.
Game On!

Own

Pumpkin, Gift and Bee are the exact same as Slime and Rabby, except with sprite swaps. They're more there for bragging rights than anything, to show off how good you are at pet taming.

Just because something is difficult for a chunk of the players doesn't mean it should be removed or made simpler, I think. Because otherwise, why not just make it easy to get to get double S-Ranks on every floor to get the Arcade unlockable items as well? Optional content being difficult is good for showing off, and adding replay value to the game as players try to get better and better at the game mechanics. :D

Edowyth

Green Slime
They do have a purpose: as stat boosters. Because of the way they level-up, you'd want one pet for each stat you wanted boosted (2 stats boosted on a pet at most). When the game is more completed, I'd expect there to be more pets available (and thus more pets available at a lower skill level on the mini-game). As it is right now ... choose wisely.

There's no difference between what any 2 pets do ... except in as far as how you choose to level them up. They have all the same buffing abilities and requirements to level. Only the skins are different.

I'm not the biggest fan of DDR either, but with the two intro pets (rabby's and slime's) I'm able to make do for the most part. I'll probably do the others when I have time to practice that set of key combinations until I've got it down pat. *shrug*

NDroid

Green Slime
Ahh, okay. Well, thanks for the info. Luckily I'm not the only one who has trouble with catching a pet and that it is meant to be so hard. Hahaha.

Haha, I struggle with the pet taming to but I'm getting into it and I'm managing to catch the Bee Pet without much trouble at all.

Vilya

Developer
Staff member
We've decided to make pet catching easier in the next patch, so hang in there :D

Once the game is done, we'll probably have a couple that are more difficult to catch, but for now (since we don't have that many pets anyway), we'll lower the difficulty of the ones currently available :)

Thanks for the feedback!

Snoochy42

Green Slime
I love how the pets are tamed, however at current ".610 stable"the Gift and Bee have the buttons a bit close together. Sometimes I'd hit the button and it'd instant fail or pass 2 per key stroke. I'd be a bit more reliable if the bar was a bit longer, but faster scrolling so the icons can be alittle more spaced apart, without making it any easier/harder.

Ardeof

Rabby
Yep. Now that you've tried it a couple of times, and what apparently took 1+ hours to do, you should be able to do that in half the time. Possibly even less.

Just a learning curve of the game, and to those who have a lot of experience with games, the movement rate is kind of slow.

Igor

Green Slime
Yep. Now that you've tried it a couple of times, and what apparently took 1+ hours to do, you should be able to do that in half the time. Possibly even less.

Just a learning curve of the game, and to those who have a lot of experience with games, the movement rate is kind of slow.
It's nerfed. I was thinking about same stuff - that wasnt super easy for me, who never played DDR-games, but manageable. And then i saw dates and Developer response... Probably i would die to the old pets.

Aro-Knight

Green Slime
them there presents are a hard catch indeed. hmmmmm....

perhaps a button mashing element or a drop rate trade sort of like how if you defeated a deku scrub in Zelda ocarina of time you would get an option to buy something. Something like that.