Help! I'm just trying to play with my GF!

The Amazing Nine

Green Slime
Hey guys! So I recently got my gf interested in gaming and we both really enjoy playing SoG. However, whenever she comes over we can connect by using my Internal IP without any issues (meh. sometimes I have to make the port forward to her laptop then change it back to my desktop to get it to work!), but when she's at home (she lives about an hour away) WE CANT GET IT TO CONNECT! We try using the external IP the game gives us yet it still says that the IP address is wrong or that the port 6000 is not open. When I know for a fact that the port 6000 is open and that the external IP I'm giving her is the right one. I set the game to run as administrator through the program files and I've tried disabling her firewall, yet nothing seems to fix it... Anyone able to help us out?! I'd love to be able to play with her when she isn't over here :/

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
Where does she live? Not the adress but are you in the same city? same country? same street?
Have you tried using Hamachi? Tunngle?
Have you tried that she hosts?
Have you tried disabling the firewall on both machines?

The Amazing Nine

Green Slime
We both live in Oregon and she's about and hour away from my house so same state different cities!
and we downloaded hamachi but it was giving us more problems then anything else. I guess I could always try that again.
I have no idea what tunngle is lol
She can't host because she doesn't know how to set up a port and I have no idea how to help her out with that either.
also with her hosting we would have to start the story over!
I actually have tried disabling BOTH of our firewalls. (and i would just need to disable it of the antivirus that we have right? We use webroot)

and yes she is using the same computer both times!

Any other suggestions?

Also when shes here she uses my internal IP but at her house she would have to type in my external IP right?

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
Yes she would need your external IP which you can find at websites like http://www.whatsmyip.org/ or by opening CMD any typing ipconfig. It should be the IPv4 adress. Also note that if you have hamatchi installed then you have to scroll further up in the cmd window to find the right IP (the Ethernet-Connection is Hamatchi which is not what you're looking for).

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
We both live in Oregon and she's about and hour away from my house so same state different cities!

So no problem there. You don't live a hole continent apart. Nice.

And we downloaded hamachi but it was giving us more problems then anything else. I guess I could always try that again.
I have no idea what tunngle is lol
You could try that again and we'd be happy to give you help. When you want even somewhat "live". And Tunngle is like Hamachi. I never used it, as i never needed it, but some people used it rather then Hamachi.

Hamachi Guide which is for Risk of Rain but can be used for Secrets of Grindea as well
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=194047418

She can't host because she doesn't know how to set up a port and I have no idea how to help her out with that either.
also with her hosting we would have to start the story over!
If, and just IF, it later turns out that she is the better host, you can just transfer your World.save to her and then you have the same story progression. No problem there. Instructions on that are here somewhere in the forum, but if needed just ask.

I actually have tried disabling BOTH of our firewalls. (and i would just need to disable it of the antivirus that we have right? We use webroot)
Sometimes yes and sometimes not. Nobody can really say. There is a really long and detailed guide on steam for another game that helps with configuring the firewall and anti-virus, which will be the following link, but if you want to try that, You should be aware that changing you IP from automatic to static can cause problems with some routers. So you need to remember to change that beack if you encounter any connectivity problems after that.

Should be basically the same but with the Secrets of Grindea stuff
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=193316279

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
If you need i can give you my Skype name and i'll help you in realtime^-^
Propable still just written as my headset is acting strange lately.