HexZyle's approach to the possible SoG Card Game

HexZyle

Boar
So I understand that there's a possibility for a card game to be introduced into SoG in the far future, and I wanted to design a rule set for it that's sort of "Secrets of Grindea." (in more than just the pictures on the cards) This is inspired by my experience from Pokemon TCG, with some of Yu-Gi-Oh rules as well.

I haven't really gone into how these cards are obtained, just the rules of the card game itself.

Playing Field
deckspace4.png

You have 6 bag zones on the left (where Loot Cards dropped by your opponent's monsters go), 3 Character zones at the top-center of your field, where you summon characters, and 3 drop zones beneath them where you put the loot required to summon the characters. At the bottom, you have your Hero zone. Then on the right, there's the Deck zone (left) and the Discard pile (right).

There are three kinds of cards:

Character Cards (Unit Cards)
Character cards are the cards you use to attack on the battlefield. I'd call them monster cards, but there's more than just monsters in this category. Most character cards have HP, a Level, Hero Buff, Ability, and Attack.
  • HP: How much damage the character can take before it is removed from play. When played as a Hero, a character has 4 times this number
  • Level: The point requirement to summon this character with loot cards. Playing a character as a Hero is free
  • Hero Buff: An effect that is active as long as the character is the Hero.
  • Attack: The offensive technique of the card. You may choose one character per turn to use its attack.
  • Ability: The special ability of the card. Abilities may be used once per character per turn. A Hero cannot use the ability listed on its card.
At the start of the game, you are required to draw a hand of cards. If this hand does not contain a character card, you will need to shuffle your hand back into the deck and redraw. This is because at the start of the game you need to choose a character card from your hand to be your "Hero" (Party Leader). This character card sits atop the crown-marked spot. They are also the unit you need to protect, a living lifepoints.

The difference between a Hero character and an in-play character (which are placed on the center middle of the field) is Heroes have 4 times the Health displayed on the card, and the game ends when a Hero reaches 0 HP. The "Hero Buff" written on a character card is active when that card is a Hero. Heroes may use the attack listed on their card, but only in-play characters may use their Ability.

Only one character card may attack per turn. The opponent's hero cannot be damaged unless a card specifically mentions it can do so, or the opponent has no characters summoned. A character cannot attack on the turn it is brought into play, and this also applies to the Hero.

Character Card Examples

Loot Cards
Loot cards are the currency used for summoning characters. Each loot card has a value, and most have an effect. To summon a character, the character card is placed face up in one of the character slots at the top-center of the playing field, and one or multiple loot cards with values that total or exceed the level of the character being summoned are placed face down in a stack beneath the character. These loot cards serve as the character's "drops". If you do not have sufficient value of loot cards to meet a character's level requirement, you cannot summon that character.

When a character is defeated, the loot cards are flipped face up and sent to your opponent's Bag area. (the section on your opponent's side of the field in your color) Your may use one loot card from your bag per turn, which triggers the effect written on the loot card. Once a loot card is used, it is sent to the discard pile of the player the card belongs to. (The "No Entry" pile next to the deck stack) If a player's bag is full when they receive loot, they must discard loot until they have no more than 6 loot cards.

Loot Card Examples

Skill Cards
Skill cards may have similar effects to those that are written on loot cards, except that they are played from your hand, rather than obtained from slaying your foes. Only one skill card can be used per turn.

I haven't come up with any example skill cards yet, but they're most likely going to be based off the ingame skills and talents.

Last edited: