How are enemy drop sell prices and gold drops determined?

Own

I was going to sell a ton of drops to buy more furniture, which I started to notice something seemed a little off.

upload_2017-6-6_7-1-4.png

I thought maybe drops were based on the difficulty of the enemy, but there are hard enemies with low priced drops.

Or it was based on the drop rate, but giant crystals (infuriatingly hard to grind) sell the same as yeti fur.

You have pumpkin hats selling for 1k, while Season Temple hats sell for 750 a pop - and their weapons for 250 each.

Crystal crumbs that are farmed from pots in large numbers are selling for 25g each, same as brawler bot scrap.

Ice slime goo goes for 65 each, while season temple materials go for less than that.

Seasonne Hoodies sell the same as Statue Heads, and every material in Tai Ming sells for 65, which I suspect may be a bug or a placeholder number, but I'm not sure.

The numbers are all over the place and don't seem to be going up steadily like you'd expect in an RPG.

... which got me thinking, well if the sell prices are so odd, then what about the gold? I killed enemies until they gave me gold (they don't always, some only give it rarely) and recorded the results.

Rabby: 12 gold

Jumpkin: 11 gold

Pumpkin Mage: 20 gold

Brawler Bot: 10 gold

Ice Slime: 15 gold

Yeti: 40 gold

Winter Knight: 42 gold

Spinsect: 8 gold

Shroomy: 10 gold

Larvacid: 12

Statue: 22

Thorn Worm: 12

Monkey: 17

Plantae: 12

Echo of Madness: 12

The entire Grindean currency in regards to monsters drops, items and gold, are wonky as heck. There's no sense of progression, no reason to kill anything but season temple mobs or yetis and ice slimes if you need gold.

Speaking of currency, are we going to be getting blue and gold coins until the end of the game? I figured by now we'd be cycling blue coins and gold coins out for ruby or diamond coins to designate increased values. :p

Own

This is a good time to ask, now that I've brought it up:

What is the intended design for gold gain in SoG?

A) Slow, steady, upward progression from area to area, each bit of gear selling for more than the previous area, enemy drops worth 10-20% more.

B) Exponential increases to ludicris sums of gold. Enemies you fight in the beginning might drop 10 gold, but enemies in the final dungeon will be dropping thousands of gold.

C) A straight road. You'll have roughly the same gold gain no matter what as you progress through the game. Enemies dropping roughly the same gold, drops all more or less equal in sell value.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
It's supposed to be option A, but due to a combination of a bug regarding the raw gold drops and some rather arbitrary decisions regarding drop value things have gotten a bit weird! The Seasonne/Temple of Season enemies drops way more valuable stuff than they should, and the later enemies drop stuff worth less than they should. (And yeah, those drop prices are place holder - I forgot to put that down on my to-do list before stable :oops: :chicken: )

I'll fix the worst of it for the next update, but ideally the whole thing will need to be looked at more thoroughly Some Time Later™.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
@Teddy I'm really curious how this is bugged. If you fixed that, would you give me an overview of what went wrong?

Just a good ol' else if early exit where I put a (x >= 12) before a (x >= 17) making the second impossible to reach!

The numbers referenced are monster levels and decide the drop chance for different coin values.

Ardeof

Rabby
Are you trying to tell me I can't farm snow/ice slimes (been a while, I forget!) for gold to buy potions to raise my pet's damage level even more eventually? :eek::confused:

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Are you trying to tell me I can't farm snow/ice slimes (been a while, I forget!) for gold to buy potions to raise my pet's damage level even more eventually? :eek::confused:

To be honest, due to how easy stuff around there gets killed compared to later on, it might still be one of the best places to farm for gold! It's just not ridiculous compared to fighting later enemies anymore (and a lot of that is because later enemies are more generous now)

Pharphis

Rabby
I usually just kill pumpkins for seeds + meat to boost dmg level of pets. It would be cool if some other edibles existed which monsters drop that can be used to boost stats like crit, though ;)