I'm willing to help with the development in any way...

Props

Rabby
As the title suggests, I'm willing to help.

Without writing a novel, here's a little info about myself. First and foremost, I've been a gamer since the mid 80's. I was so enthralled with video games, that in the late 80's, early 90's, I taught myself everything there was to know about my first computer equipped with a 286 processor. This included the OS (DOS 6.0), Basic & QBasic. DooM was my everything. Level design, graphic design (textures & sprites). Shared my creations (pwads) with friends over bbs's and played over dial-up. Later, I contributed to DooM Legacy after the source code was released. I've kept myself up-to-date over the years, primarily dealing with networking, hardware and every aspect of computer troubleshooting / repair.

Wow, thinking about it, there's way too much to write about....especially in detail. Long story short, when dealing with computers, currently, I'm rusty, when it comes to programming and current development software. However, I did major in Computer Science and Programming in college. Self taught in C++ as well as HTML & Java. Image / Photo editing tools, etc, etc. I could sit, for hours and days, dedicated to creating perfection.

On the console / emulation side of video games, well...I think you can figure it out. Gaming in general, was my life's goal. Some of my favorite games include Legend of Zelda, Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy: The Adventure, DooM, Unreal Tournament, Diablo, Warcraft, Chrono Trigger. When it came to any of these games and emulators and any sort of editor, I could sit for weeks on end, creating new (polished) material.

To the point: it's been at least 10 years since I've done any sort of design, so I'm rusty, if not in the dark with new development software, but I have something I haven't had since those younger years....time.

I've been dreaming for such a game (SoG) to be released, that includes my favorite gaming genre, Action RPG's, accompanied with the classic 16-bit graphics that I wish had never been left behind (3D took over, as it was seen as the future). Secrets of Grindea is everything that I have ever wanted in a game. Thanks to mobile games(flash as well), 2D gaming is making a comeback!

To the developers: If you'd like my help, I will gladly do so! I can purchase the necessary software, I have a solid computer (built it myself) & Internet connection. I have the time, the dedication & patience. I'm willing to help with map layout, textures, character design...hell, I'm extremely rusty when it comes to coding, but I'm sure after some time familiarizing myself, I can jump right back into it!

If you'll consider it, PM me, email me; we can further discuss my eagerness to help. I'll gladly sit for hours on end, designing maps, boundaries, scripts.. Whatever you want! I'd love to help and have some part in this eventual platinum greatest hit!

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
They already said that they don't take more people into their team all the reasons behind that:
http://vilyaroo.blogspot.com/2015/03/why-just-three-people.html

Because of that, you probably can't help directly with the development. If you have design ideas, you can post them in suggestions forum.
Other than that... maybe you could try to prove that you can join the team :p I mean, it takes time time introduce new person, because of their own art style or code documentation. But if you could draw something that perfectly mimics Vilya's/Fred's style or code a new feature (there was a guy, who hacked game code to make mods; original topic >here<), maybe there's a slight chance your help would be considered if the devs think that it wouldn't actually slow anything.

Props

Rabby
They already said that they don't take more people into their team all the reasons behind that:
http://vilyaroo.blogspot.com/2015/03/why-just-three-people.html

Because of that, you probably can't help directly with the development. If you have design ideas, you can post them in suggestions forum.
Other than that... maybe you could try to prove that you can join the team :p I mean, it takes time time introduce new person, because of their own art style or code documentation. But if you could draw something that perfectly mimics Vilya's/Fred's style or code a new feature (there was a guy, who hacked game code to make mods; original topic >here<), maybe there's a slight chance your help would be considered if the devs think that it wouldn't actually slow anything.

I hear ya! I have tons of ideas, from skills to balancing issues; but my primary interest is map layout and design. I'm sure, on their end, that's where most of the work lies...

I guess I'll do some digging around and see what software they use and anything else I need to know. I've been following this game for quite some time (back before it was green lighted on steam), but due to moving and other life events I hadn't been online, tracking it's progress.

A couple weeks ago, to my surprise, it's available on Steam! I immediately made the purchase and began playing! Once I finish the Frontline version (story and arcade), I'll see what I can do to possibly contribute.

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
my primary interest is map layout and design
You can also comment on Vilya's blog. She posts concepts of future areas long before they appear in game. If you have some ideas how to improve them or what to add, you could post a comment there, hoping for best.

luckyb

Green Slime
maybe when modding comes in you could make an expansion for us ;P or at least the maps make it free to use and maybe your stuff will be used and that way you helped the dev's^^

haneko

Green Slime
MY game project is a free to play model with micro transactions being optional without giving things that would make it pay to win. If you make textures and dlcs (via modding). Of course you get the dlc for free is meant as a thank you from my development group. The point is to have players go for the dlcs they like and want. hence why modders would get some perks out of it. Would make my job easier if you make a dlc pack(content packs like monsters, map textures a and gear) and you could earn money from mods you make as dlcs. that's the idea. a crowd funded project with some crowd funded dlcs. Everyone wins.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
When I see a game that is "Free to Play" I automatically make two pre-assumptions: 1. It has micro transactions and 2. The game will try to push me towards buying said micro transactions. Why? Because that's how a good micro transaction business model works :p I much prefer a 1 time pay for a game myself, or games that are labelled as "Free". That way I know I'm not going to have more payments shoved into my face or being pushed towards them, and that the game is focussed on having fun, not trying to make money.

Even if it's cosmetic stuff, the fact that other people put it on and then gallavant around showing it off to everyone like "look what I just bought" makes it pushy, as then that makes people jealous and want to buy it too. That's only really an issue on multiplayer games though.

haneko

Green Slime
well I have to make money somehow. but you have to understand the idea of these dlcs. you don't need them and the full game even without dlcs has plenty of good things in it. there is no push for paying its just that it pays for the costs as making this game is costing me a lot of time and money. besides people who want to support the game can donate a small amount. those who want extra content aren't forced to buy it all so there's no need to be jalous. But if they want to help the modders who make the content it wouldn't be a bad idea to have modders benefit from it too.

I get a cut because its my game project but modders get a bigger cut and some perks. since they made it they should make money off of it. it would encourage modders to make more dlcs. especially if they can enjoy their own content for free.

This is my strategy to make money.

Last edited:

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
That's fair enough, but I'm just saying I'd instantly make a judgement as soon as I get a glimpse of your game, because that's the dark market micro transactions are going into. I fear people might think the same, so be careful :p

haneko

Green Slime
yes one must avoid getting too greedy with micro transactions. now my main problem is getting the database for my game finished.....TT__TT I was wondering if there were ways to tweak the code in rpg maker xp to have different attributes than the default?

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
I was wondering if there were ways to tweak the code in rpg maker xp to have different attributes than the default?

What attributes do you mean? Character stats? It's possible. Actually, you can re-write pretty whole system. However, I myself don't know how. Just search/ask on some RPG Maker forums.

haneko

Green Slime
The only problem is that in rpg maker XP I s what I used since I hate chibi graphics, it just doesn't work for the style of my project. im using 16 wide by 32 high sprites for a retro feel.

Yeah I have to put in 3 bars 1 for health 1 for energy and 1 for resolve. Its part of my combat system.
Attributes are modeled after pokemon's original stats but I have to change them and give hidden sinergies with moves and skills.

Force is your atk stat
Solidity is your phys defence
Resonance is the matk
Attunement is mdef.
Celerity is your speed rating for like initiative rolls

this combat system functions mostly like pokemons combat system except for a few differences.
1, defence reduces all damage to 1 and allows a support action like, using items or switching teammate. without being cancelled from getting hit.
2, unlike pokemon there is not a single fight where you have to fight to end the battle. all battles can be fled. there is a reason for this. aside from you, your partner or a legendary, all the other monsters can die at the end of battle.