Language suggestions

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
Currently, language can be changed only in options and you have to do this each time you run game. This feature may not be the most important, but since Grindea comes to Steam Early Access, it could be tweaked. More players will try the game if they know game is translated in their native language. So I have two suggestions regarding this:

1. Selected language should be remembered
This is obvious and I don't think it wasn't planned to work like that.

2. Language select screen when first running the game
This would help some players, as not everyone may know they can change language or even may not know how to do this. But instead doing it like it is now (one line with left/right arrows), a list of all available languages could appear. Each of them could also have a small flag next to it so they'd be easier to find. The flag would be as image in language's directory.

Some serious stable update is coming with all these skill charges etc. so I think that multi-language support also should be finished before the Steam release with all currently completed translations included. This would increase popularity of the game.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Wow, the language setting should absolutely be saved between sessions! I'll fix this for the next update.

For the finished game I would gladly ship it with a bunch of default translations, but being in the middle of development puts us on a weird spot in that regard. Basically, we can't make any guarantees on the behalf of our volunteer translators that they'll keep the translations up to date, so offering it as a built in core feature might backfire a bit!

I do think the ability to change language should be better conveyed, though. I'm sure a fair share of players who can play in English would choose to play in their own language if they only knew it was available. I'm also thinking about perhaps using Steam Workshop for translations? I haven't looked into Steam Workshop at all, but I can't see why it shouldn't be possible to use it. If automatic updates is built into Steam Workshop (and I think it is), that would be really, really good for distributing translations!

If we could get that up and running, I imagine it should be possible to add a "Browse for languages" or something, which would bring up all available community translations. At this point, I wouldn't mind one bit showing a "Select Language"-prompt the first time a player runs the game.