Linux support

Eclair

Green Slime
Hi guys,

My girlfriend and me really enjoy the game, and would like to play together in co-op. She has Windows 7 as OS and I'm on Linux Mint 18.2. We both own an official copy of the game, but Steam doesn't let me install it on my computer, although I have the latest version of WINE set up correctly. Since we're quite far apart, we had counted on Steam to get us connected for multiplayer, to avoid the hassle of screwing around with IP addresses and firewall configurations for hours.

Is there any support for Linux? Or any other way to play in co-op (that doesn't require a PhD in computer science to set up)?

Thanks in advance!

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
Linux support is something definitely coming in the future, but not available right now.

If you are able to play locally, ie. using same WiFi network, it's trivial to play over IP (I can help you with that). If you can't play locally, Hamachi or Tunngle are an option, but first configuration takes some time.

Configuring firewall might be slightly more problematic, but it still takes just few minutes. If you use default Windows' firewall, it automatically asks if detects new connection and you can allow it with single click. If you use other firewall, you might have to manually add the game to exceptions. Usually it's not something difficult though.

Eclair

Green Slime
Thanks for the response, KoBeWi!

I already installed Hamachi and it seems to work, but the question is, how can I obtain the game executables if Steam doesn't provide me to download them? I could torrent them of course, but then what's the point of buying games legally over Steam?

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
I could torrent them of course, but then what's the point of buying games legally over Steam?
Well, you support developers :chicken:

It's not like the game will be gone from your library, so you will be able to play it properly when Linux support arrives.

Eclair

Green Slime
Well, you support developers :chicken:
I'd rather prefer to support the developers with a PayPal or Bitcoin donation then, instead of having to install a DRM tool like Steam on my free OS.

I'll torrent the game, and give the Hamachi strategy a try.