Luck Stat & Gear

Do you want this in the game?

• Yes

• No, it's unnecesary

• No, it would be unbalanced

• No, it's not worth it for the devs to spend time on

Results are only viewable after voting.
Intro
The dreaded Bloomo... 'His card shall be mine!' I often proclaimed, but I grinded for hours and hours before finally getting it. By then I was so overleveled that the grinding was so boring. I'll always oneshot it. It'll never do enough damage for me to care. But I couldn't speed up the process at all.

Stat
It may exist somewhere unseen by the player, but a luck stat the player can see and alter is becoming quite necessary. This stat would increase the droprate of items and cards, and be separate from crit chance. Players would not gain/gain very little luck from levelups, making it mostly controlled by equipment.

Gear
Most luck increasing gear would either not increase other stats, which would fill the slot so other gear can't be used (ie: by wearing lucky shoes, you can't also wear any other helpful footwear). For higher amounts of luck, gear could lower the players stats. This would make grinding in easier areas a bit quicker, but weaken the player to keep them from using it in more difficult areas. Luck can be added to logical existing items, such as the rabbit's foot. Negative luck could even be used on items like the voodoo doll if desired. This should speed up the process of grinding, while keeping difficult areas the same as they are.

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
Luck is something I suggested long time ago (on old forum) and problem it brings is mainly balance. Items with high luck and low stats might be useless, because if you grind slower, higher drops don't give you anything. And with gear with luck has good stats, it will increase drops for previous areas and also the current one. So to keep higher areas rarity, drop would be decreased, affecting players who don't wear lucky gear. Also, getting gear with more luck later in game may encourage players to leave undiscovered drops for later and make them backtrack to low-level areas when they gain enough luck. (this is not something I said, BTW)

However, I agree there should be something that helps players who don't like mindless grinding. But this something can't make the grind slower (like by weakening the player) and should require some effort. And effort put to increase drops can't be higher than grinding alone.

One of ideas would be a sort of Grindea blessing. There are Grindea statues in most major areas, so these statues could give some grinding bonuses. There could be some items that placed on the altar would "Level up" the area (like Bonfire Ascetic in Dark Souls 2), increasing elite monster spawns, more drops or something. Actually, this could also make enemies harder and maybe give them some unique drops when leveled enough.

Own

Intro
The dreaded Bloomo... 'His card shall be mine!' I often proclaimed, but I grinded for hours and hours before finally getting it. By then I was so overleveled that the grinding was so boring. I'll always oneshot it. It'll never do enough damage for me to care. But I couldn't speed up the process at all.

Question: Were you leaving and re-entering the area to make more Bloomos spawn?

Items with high luck and low stats might be useless, because if you grind slower, higher drops don't give you anything. And with gear with luck has good stats, it will increase drops for previous areas and also the current one. So to keep higher areas rarity, drop would be decreased, affecting players who don't wear lucky gear. Also, getting gear with more luck later in game may encourage players to leave undiscovered drops for later and make them backtrack to low-level areas when they gain enough luck. (this is not something I said, BTW)
So you know, I'm talking about really overleveled. I just dequipped everything but a wooden sword, and could kill a Bloomo in 2-3 hits. Considering the time it takes to spawn them or reload the area, the extra hit or 2 is very negligible. And that would be if every slot had lucky gear. Maybe it was just my rotten luck, but that card took me at least 4 hours of solid grinding. Anything that speeds that would be great.

One of ideas would be a sort of Grindea blessing. There are Grindea statues in most major areas, so these statues could give some grinding bonuses. There could be some items that placed on the altar would "Level up" the area (like Bonfire Ascetic in Dark Souls 2), increasing elite monster spawns, more drops or something. Actually, this could also make enemies harder and maybe give them some unique drops when leveled enough.
A good idea that's I'd definitely accept. 2 possible issues: 1) There are 5 statue design tiers for $500. Some of the statues of Lady Grindea may be placeholders. 2) Storywise, we don't know if the people of Mount Bloom, the Desert, or the Time Temple worship the goddess Grindea, and so, they may not construct statues of her likeness.
Regardless, the concept is smart.

Own

I was originally, but waiting for respawns seemed to go faster.

Yep. The longer you kill in an area, the faster monsters respawn. There should be some NPC who alludes to this 'Monster Frenzy' somewhere in the HQ or the school, unless they want it to be a hidden mechanic.

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
Yep. The longer you kill in an area, the faster monsters respawn. There should be some NPC who alludes to this 'Monster Frenzy' somewhere in the HQ or the school, unless they want it to be a hidden mechanic.
I think you figure that out pretty quickly once you start farming and there is no real need to tell players that. The game tells you that "sometimes you need to kill all the monsters in an area for them to respawn" and with that knowledge people will start to kill stuff and after a while the monsters will spawn in super quick. I've never felt like you needed to know how to the respawning mechanics work. If you're killing stuff to make things spawn faster then you would probably be killing them anyways without knowing about the mechanics behind the respawning. :p

I think you figure that out pretty quickly once you start farming and there is no real need to tell players that. The game tells you that "sometimes you need to kill all the monsters in an area for them to respawn" and with that knowledge people will start to kill stuff and after a while the monsters will spawn in super quick. I've never felt like you needed to know how to the respawning mechanics work. If you're killing stuff to make things spawn faster then you would probably be killing them anyways without knowing about the mechanics behind the respawning. :p
I had no idea this was a thing, and it is now encouraging me to have longer play sessions. Usually when I grind, I'm paying attention to YouTube, live streams, or killing enemies and grabbing items in interesting ways. It was probably right there, but I never looked. Is it like it starts slow and goes to fast after a minute, or is it 15-20+ minute range?

GarlicJelly

I had no idea this was a thing, and it is now encouraging me to have longer play sessions. Usually when I grind, I'm paying attention to YouTube, live streams, or killing enemies and grabbing items in interesting ways. It was probably right there, but I never looked. Is it like it starts slow and goes to fast after a minute, or is it 15-20+ minute range?
The spawning is based off how many monsters you have killed in the area (I think). To start the whole process you need to kill all the enemies in an area for them to start respawning and after that they just spawn in faster and faster the more you kill until you reach the max speed for the respawning system. If you're killing Slimes and Rabbys then you would definitely reach max speed in under 5 min no matter what level you are but I think it's all based on how many monsters you kill. It's a hard thing to calculate but I would guess between 15-25 monsters is what you need to kill to reach max speed.

Own

I think you figure that out pretty quickly once you start farming and there is no real need to tell players that.

Not really. A fair amount of people leave / re-enter to make Bloomos respawn, or to make enemies respawn on the Flying Fortress island area, or the Season Knights/Wizards battle room. If you don't know about the ever-increasing respawn rate and you always leave re-enter, how would they figure that out while farming when their first instinct is to leave / come back?

I only noticed it in Pumpkin Woods around the ghosts, when farming for Ectoplasm. More and more appeared with time and that clued me in to the fact that, oh, time spent killing in an area -> quicker grinding.

GarlicJelly

Not really. A fair amount of people leave / re-enter to make Bloomos respawn, or to make enemies respawn on the Flying Fortress island area, or the Season Knights/Wizards battle room. If you don't know about the ever-increasing respawn rate and you always leave re-enter, how would they figure that out while farming when their first instinct is to leave / come back?

I only noticed it in Pumpkin Woods around the ghosts, when farming for Ectoplasm. More and more appeared with time and that clued me in to the fact that, oh, time spent killing in an area -> quicker grinding.
Oh, I figured that out in the very first area with the Slimes and the Rabbys... The game tells you that the enemies will respawn so I never saw a reason to leave and re-enter an area until I wanted to farm the Halloweed card (Helloweed? I'm always confused about which one it is).

Dzed

Green Slime
I thought they said that in the buffer when you are moving from one place to the other