Making the Season Hydras go out with style.

Own

So apparently the Summer Hydra can make it somewhat impossible to avoid taking damage if it's the final hydra. And Winter will just headram endlessly. Which isn't a very exciting ending to a battle that starts off so promising. When you kill Smashy or Bashy, the other one will get a power-up, yeah?

The Hydras should work the same way when one is left, instead of just switching into suicide-ram mode.

Winter: If Winter is the last Hydra alive, perma-freeze the ground of the entire battlefield while it enters headram mode.

Autumn: Same as above, but inflict all players with perma-blind. Keep on the move if you don't want to get rammed.

Summer: Same as above, but flames creep in along the left and right sides, and the edges of the room/pool. Giving you a smaller space to fight in. Sure, you could beat it by just walking only left and right. But at least it would look cool.

upload_2018-7-11_6-1-28.png

A boss being easier in it's final phase (endlessly headramming with no altered mechanics) is such a sad way to end a fight. :( And before anyone says, no, Mimic isn't a boss getting easier. It's a three part boss rush. Mimic 3 (the third boss) has a very carefully designed ramping up of difficulty in the phases it transitions through, with a final attack. Nor are the Thorn Worm bosses, it's a fight with two phases. When you kill one worm, the AI of the other isn't changed to make it easier or disable attacks. There is a very clear difference between putting the final hydra is a headram-loop and any other boss endgame.

Chaldo

Rabby
I understand why you'd want to change the way the mechanics work, but I see a bit of a flaw in some of these suggestions. Making the entire floor icy if only the Winter Hydra is left would not change the fight in the slightest because the player could simply stand in one spot and perfect-guard the headrams which is how the boss currently functions anyway, so it would ultimately change nothing. The concept of permanent blindness is quite interesting for the Autumn Hydra, but the problem with it is that it would make it significantly more difficult to land perfect guards on the hydra if you can't see anything which would lower your damage and simply make it a longer and more tedious fight. Another problem with permanent blindness is that it creates a massive complication for players without skills that target enemies. If you can't see the hydra and you're forced to endlessly run away in fear of being hit, it would be difficult to locate it when it hits the ground which would give you less opportunities to kill the Autumn Hydra, so it would ultimately make it a worse, longer, and more tedious fight. On the other hand, I think your idea for the Summer Hydra is brilliant! As long as the player is given a spot to move to in order to avoid the fire, it would make it possible to avoid damage completely during the fight instead of being trapped in endless fire.

I think all of that is unnecessary. It sounds like you're strongly against something strictly from an opinion-based standpoint. You think that bosses should not get easier over time and therefore are complaining about it. But the boss is fine as is. Your suggestions don't make the boss "harder" or "more interesting"; they make the boss more annoying and stupid. And that's even worse game design than an easy boss. See KH for an example. A good example is the difference between secret aqua and mysterious figure.

If someone has managed to defeat the other two hydras, the resulting playing field will always be much easier. And you can't do anything to make the final hydra harder than the others without making the fight stupid. It's fine to keep them in headbutting mode when only 1 hydra is left. This is because any other attack they do is literally a waste of your time if you're good at the game.

I'll address everything piece by piece.

1) Permafreezing the ground
First of all, it doesn't affect mages at all. If you've seen Chaldo's hydra video, you can just spam spells after a Pguard. For melee, it's just a nuisance because if I'm not directly south of Winter, then I'll have to walk up to him to hit his head. That is a waste of my time since the ice slows me down (and can risk me losing an interrupt/crit status depending on how the Pguard played out). It is always preferable to Pguard, so there's no need for me to try to run away on the ice. And you don't even need to run away from the headbutt. You can blink.

Secondly, the ground is already "permafrozen" if you're fighting only in the winter season. Winter pretty much spams ice beam the entire fight. So you have to dodge 2 hydras while dodging ice beams all on a permafrozen floor anyway. Your suggestion does not keep the "spicy difficulty" of the boss up. The boss fight will still be much easier. There's hardly a difference between a permafrozen floor and a non-frozen floor at the very end. And the player still encounters an easier battle because the floor was permafrozen while handling the other hydras. Thus, permafreezing -- post 2 hydra deaths -- is a waste of my time.

2) Inflict all players with permablindness
This is another completely unnecessary idea. A major part of the boss fight is being able to Pguard the attacks. That's extremely difficult to do if you're given permablindness. And you'll hardly be able to know where the ramming head is. Sure, I can just run all over the place and hope I don't get hit (you can get hit if you're always moving btw, depending on your trajectory), but how is that fun? Again, it increases the amount of time to beat the boss. And it doesn't add a fun challenge. It adds an unnecessary and annoying aspect to the fight.

3) Use fire to restrict movement
There are rare scenarios where this can still make the fight dumb. It would only happen if you got pushed back enough during a Pguard or if you messed up your Pguard and got your shield broken (resulting in further knockback). I don't see a reason to punish the player with fire dps for these things.

Besides that, it doesn't contribute to the difficulty or excitement of the boss at all. Thankfully, it doesn't increase how long it takes to defeat the boss either. That's good. But the idea is still unnecessary, and it doesn't accomplish the main thing you're arguing for.

Smashie and Bashie
Here's the major problem people seem to miss with this fight. Smashie and Bashie are regular enemies. They are not astounding bosses in their own rite. That's what makes it necessary to put both of them in the same room. Although one of them gets a power up after the other dies, the difficulty fades away when one of the enemies die. Every time I kill one of them (usually smashie) there is a feeling of relief and relaxation. I know the fight now guarantees my victory. If anything, the enraged status applied to the lone enemy makes the fight easier. Enraged Bashie releases more power waves, meaning reflect-killing him is easier. Smashie...doesn't really change much. He basically starts throwing large snowballs in random places...which I don't like because it adds dumb rng to the fight that doesn't need to be there. Even so, the fight isn't harder. There's just a chance that you'll get hit while Pguarding the snowball barrage. The fight is still much easier and much calmer.

Thorn Worms
There is no change in thorn worm AI because there is no need for a change. Giant Thorn worms are easy to destroy on their own. That's why a second one comes in to begin with. Additionally, Giant Thorn Worms cannot spam attacks that waste your time and ruin your arcade time ranks. Thus, there is no need to change AI in that case. Even so, the fight is still much easier in the end. This isn't about changing AI. In fact, your suggestion still includes the changing of AI. But it's not about that; it's about bosses becoming easier over time. And as I said before, it's okay for a boss to become easier over time if the fight is well designed.

Mimic Phases
You're gonna have to face the fact that the final phase of mimic is still an easier one (compared to phase 2). Once I get to mimic phase 3, I still get a sense of relief. This is different from...say...Marluxia in KH:ReCOM, where the phases consistently increase in difficulty from 1 to 3 (assuming you aren't spamming OP abilities). It's okay for players to get some relief in a boss fight...as long as the fight is designed well.

To summarize...
I find the hydra fight quite enjoyable. There are several ways to play it that result in different strategies. You can use winter the whole time or autumn the whole time depending on your maneuverability and preferences. Alternatively, you can continuously shift between seasons if you're worried about the room getting unmanageable for you. Other options exist as well. At the very end of the fight, the only thing that's actually threatening is summer hydra spamming flamethrower. Besides that, the fight is trivial when 1 hydra is left. And it's a waste of time to make players sit through certain attacks for extended time intervals, especially if there are easy, cheesy ways of avoiding the the attacks (excluding summer). The end doesn't need to be more difficult. And there isn't really a way to upgrade all the hydras without making them dumb.

If you're really concerned about hydras being easier over time, then just don't kill one at a time. You're completely free to handle the various heads in such a way that all the hydras stay at roughly the same health as you kill them. Of course, that takes more time, but it keeps the difficulty of the fight that you're longing for. Another option is a final death barrage where the seasons become "Mixed Season", and all the hydras start spamming their individual seasonal attacks before they die. This idea still sounds unnecessary to me though. And it would make final desperation attacks get very old. If it were implemented, the arcade time would have to be fixed accordingly.

Last edited:

Own

It's about the finale of a boss battle actually feeling like a finale and not riding a segway across the finish line.

If I'm at the end of a boss battle and the boss is looping the same action over and over that couldn't even kill the most inexperienced player unless they were standing perfectly still, that is not a finale. It's not even really a fight at that point. If a boss has to be reduced to such a simplistic and pitiful state, it needs something to not give the sensation of "That's it?"

I'm failing to see anything memorable or enjoyable about a single hydra getting an AI-lobotomy and helplessly smacking it's head against the wall while it waits for you to put it out of it's misery.

I think all of that is unnecessary. It sounds like you're strongly against something strictly from an opinion-based standpoint. You think that bosses should not get easier over time and therefore are complaining about it.

And you and Chaldo feel strongly that the Hydras need to be changed in a different way, complaining about how they current exist. A way which I have disagreements about and present alternative options. Welcome to the suggestions forum. Were you trying to make a point here?

Your suggestions don't make the boss "harder" or "more interesting"; they make the boss more annoying and stupid.

You could say the same exact thing about Mimic 3's final barrage. It doesn't necessarily need to light up the room with fire and slowly corner you in the middle with rockets launching everywhere, but it does because having the Mimic just die and spit out his crown when HP=0 is not enjoyable from a gameplay experience standpoint.

Mimic Phases
You're gonna have to face the fact that the final phase of mimic is still an easier one (compared to phase 2). Once I get to mimic phase 3, I still get a sense of relief. This is different from...say...Marluxia in KH:ReCOM, where the phases consistently increase in difficulty from 1 to 3 (assuming you aren't spamming OP abilities). It's okay for players to get some relief in a boss fight...as long as the fight is designed well.

You're viewing Mimic as a single boss here. It's not. Mimic is three bosses, each with their own beginning, middle and finale phases. They each have their strengths and weaknesses against different playstyles. Furthermore, people who are better at dodging, shielding and defensive builds with 1 on 1 fighting will have an easier time with 2, people who are more combat-oriented with group fighting will have an easier time with 3. That's assuming you're not a top level arcade player just bursting Mimic to skip phases and actually fighting each wave.

Your sense of relief only comes from the fact that you have mastered the enemies and they're nothing more than a series of attack patterns that you know how to exploit. The average player doesn't fight Mimic 3 and feel relief, they're on edge and afraid of dying to it, slogging through wave after wave of enemies, fearing have to relive the entire fight. Finishing it off is a monumental occasion where you're on the edge of your seat. Which, if you're designing a good boss battle, is where you want players to be at the end instead of slouched back in their chair, calmly whittling away the last remaining HP bar.

Starting the hydra battle and seeing them pop up one by one fills players with dread because they're gigantic and numerous. It comes with an expectation of a memorable experience from start to finish. The battle being reduced to a headram infinite loops are not enjoyable from any perspective beyond "I want to HP=0 the boss faster and get S-Ranks easier."

It's about the finale of a boss battle actually feeling like a finale and not riding a segway across the finish line.

If I'm at the end of a boss battle and the boss is looping the same action over and over that couldn't even kill the most inexperienced player unless they were standing perfectly still, that is not a finale. It's not even really a fight at that point. If a boss has to be reduced to such a simplistic and pitiful state, it needs something to not give the sensation of "That's it?"

I'm failing to see anything memorable or enjoyable about a single hydra getting an AI-lobotomy and helplessly smacking it's head against the wall while it waits for you to put it out of it's misery.

One fact that's very much being missed here is that the "excitement" and "rush" of the finale fade away once a player is familiar with the boss fight. I'll be repeating that a few times here.

And you and Chaldo feel strongly that the Hydras need to be changed in a different way, complaining about how they current exist. A way which I have disagreements about and present alternative options. Welcome to the suggestions forum. Were you trying to make a point here?

Yes. I was trying to make a point here, actually. Chaldo and I have concerns that deal with things that are factually problems. The issue is that hyrdras being able to spam boring attacks is a waste of time. It can create a difference between S/A time rank, A/B time rank, etc. And that difference has nothing to do with the player's skill. It has everything to do with the rng of whether or not the hydra spams a seasonal attack. Because the spam contributes next to nothing to the fight, it might as well be removed to prevent a poor mechanic from ruining players' time ranks.

Admittedly, another option is just to strongly increase the time expectations for the fight in case seasonal spamming occurs. However, this gives all players, skilled or unskilled a much easier time S-ranking the boss. And it still doesn't solve the problem of a room potentially being filled by fire.

This is different to your suggestion, which -- to me -- seems completely opinionated. You're concerned about "an amazing finale" that no longer exists after you've fought the boss 100 times over. And you're concerned about "the boss not getting stupidly easy over time" despite the fact that the boss is incredibly easy at the end compared to the beginning. And none of your suggestions actually fix that. (I don't consider the increase in ease over time a problem though.) So it comes off as a desperate attempt to add something burdensome to the fight just because you think it makes the fight "a better designed one". Flashiness is fine if it doesn't inhibit a fair fight that lacks stupid random situations that screw you over. That's why I said the summer idea was decent. But there are still flaws in it.

I guarantee you that players are still feeling a rush/urgency once the final head is left. That's how my friends and I felt during the hydra fight -- after our many, many deaths. Of course, as I've said, that rushing experience fades away after you've mastered the fight.

You could say the same exact thing about Mimic 3's final barrage. It doesn't necessarily need to light up the room with fire and slowly corner you in the middle with rockets launching everywhere, but it does because having the Mimic just die and spit out his crown when HP=0 is not enjoyable from a gameplay experience standpoint.

You actually have a point there. The final explosion isn't "necessary" per se and is quite avoidable. You are correct. I have nothing else to say to that.

I will point out, though, that the final barrage is consistent. (As a result, I'm sure it's been considered in the time expectations.) Seasonal spam, by contrast, is inconsistent and leads to the problem Chaldo and I have. Moreover, you are not required to attack the mimic during his final explosion. This allows the player to focus on (very easy) dodging. It's quite different from a hydra fight, where attacks are for the most part aimed at you and you still have to deal damage quickly.

You're viewing Mimic as a single boss here. It's not. Mimic is three bosses, each with their own beginning, middle and finale phases. They each have their strengths and weaknesses against different playstyles. Furthermore, people who are better at dodging, shielding and defensive builds with 1 on 1 fighting will have an easier time with 2, people who are more combat-oriented with group fighting will have an easier time with 3. That's assuming you're not a top level arcade player just bursting Mimic to skip phases and actually fighting each wave.

I actually disagree with this. Mimic Phase 1 is literally an Elite Jumpin/Elder Rabby hybrid...but easier. Any class can just use their weapon and melee him to death...though melee would obviously do the job faster, and zerk would handle it even faster. I don't even consider phase 1 a boss fight.

Defensive builds have nothing to do with any of the phases and will only slow you down. Defensive builds are probably the worst in the game because they lower your dps and thus increase the amount of time you need to spend dodging. Most of the "defense-oriented" people that I've seen have done worse on phase 2 than more pro-active people...and that's for obvious reasons. You will be better at phase 2 if you're good at dodging and positioning. But that's literally every boss fight. Phase 2's final barrage is easier than that of phase 1. And the only threat phase 2 poses in his regular attacks is the random chance of cornering you if you don't watch where you're stepping.

Phase 3 will always be easier, regardless of what you're good at. You're just beating up regular enemies in a room while avoiding hazards. That's pretty much how regular arcade rooms work. Mimic is nowhere near three separate bosses. Phase 1 is a regular enemy. Phase 2 is hazards. Phase 3 is enemy spawn rooms. And their health is small enough in each phase to warrant them not being individual bosses in their own rite. That's why they're put back to back: It makes them an actual boss.

Your sense of relief only comes from the fact that you have mastered the enemies and they're nothing more than a series of attack patterns that you know how to exploit. The average player doesn't fight Mimic 3 and feel relief, they're on edge and afraid of dying to it, slogging through wave after wave of enemies, fearing have to relive the entire fight. Finishing it off is a monumental occasion where you're on the edge of your seat. Which, if you're designing a good boss battle, is where you want players to be at the end instead of slouched back in their chair, calmly whittling away the last remaining HP bar.

Yes, I'm comfortable with boss fights because I learned the attack pattern. And I'm very much capable of beating bosses as a melee player without having to rely on exploits or frosty friend or barrier or even a time crystal. Again, that's literally how every boss works. If a player still has an immensely difficult time with a boss after memorizing its attack patterns, then the boss has been very poorly designed. Again, examples of good bosses are Lingering Will Terra and Secret Phantom Aqua. Examples of bad bosses are Mysterious Figure and Young Xehanort. An average player will have a hard time with most new bosses, especially ones like Winter and Priestess. In fact, average players likely won't make it to the final floor in arcade to begin with. I was 100% scared of Ancient Mimic when I first saw him in story. Now I'm not. Why? Because I learned how the fight works. This is another thing that can never be avoided with video games (at least ones that are designed well). Players will get more comfortable with a boss once they learn how it works. And that has nothing to do with exploits.

Starting the hydra battle and seeing them pop up one by one fills players with dread because they're gigantic and numerous. It comes with an expectation of a memorable experience from start to finish. The battle being reduced to a headram infinite loops are not enjoyable from any perspective beyond "I want to HP=0 the boss faster and get S-Ranks easier."

Again, this only happens at the very beginning. Once players get familiar with the fight, it's no longer scary. It's impossible to make a player relive the same emotions they experienced the first time they fought a boss fight. Any boss fight becomes a chore after you've mastered it.

The battle isn't reduced to "I want to HP=0 the boss faster and get S-Ranks easier." No-damaging the hydra fight is one of the easiest things in the world. You just have to run around. As I mentioned earlier, this has nothing to do with S-ranks getting easier. It has to deal with the fact that players are stripped of S-ranks that should be theirs when a boss spams a season move 5 times before each individual head slam. And that is what is a poor mechanic in the boss fight in arcade. Even so, the boss fight is reduced to something trivially easy once one is left alone anyway....as I've already said.

All that aside. You only talked about a few of my side-points regarding certain boss fights...not even all of them. But those comments about the boss fights are not the foundation of my argument. They're counterarguments to points that you used as lesser, supporting points.

Unless you can refute the statements that have to deal with your suggestions for the hydras, and unless you can address the problem that players are often stripped from a rightful S-rank, then this discussion will indicate that your suggestion should not be implemented.

Last edited:

Own

One fact that's very much being missed here is that the "excitement" and "rush" of the finale fade away once a player is familiar with the boss fight. I'll be repeating that a few times here.

Weird. Every time I get to Gundam's final phase I still feel plenty of excitement, especially in co-op. Same with Priestess engaging her low HP attack patterns, same with Vilya giving her duo the harder throw patterns, same with Winter engaging BlizzardFist mode, same with Smashy engaging multi-shockwave mode. Because they actually require my attention and have a distinct possibility of damaging me, even if they no longer risk killing me. A hydra that only smashes the wall until you kill it is no different from their common arcade room counterparts. There is no risk of being damaged by even basic players unless their controller unplugs. In fact, it's easier because arcade rooms are smaller and the hydras in them tend to be in the corner, giving them trickier lunge patterns, meaning you can't just walk left and right avoiding them lunging directly down.

If any point of a boss beyond a tutorial boss has no (realistic) way of damaging average the player, there is no point to it. Ice beam, spore cloud and fire breath all have realistic risks of damaging anyone. If they're to be removed when a lone hydra is left, something should take their place, even if not what I suggested. Literally anything is better than reducing their AI to infinitely headramming.

Yes. I was trying to make a point here, actually. Chaldo and I have concerns that deal with things that are factually problems. The issue is that hyrdras being able to spam boring attacks is a waste of time.

I agree, a hydra being able to spam their attack multiple times in a row while giving you no opportunity to attack is pretty unfair and unfun. You and Chaldo were arguing to throw the baby out with the bathwater and reduce the final hydra to a chore. I disagree. I wouldn't mind if they were limited to one use of their breath attack between however many headrams, but I guess even that would risk certain death if you entered the battle with a really low damage build and left Summer as your final hydra.

This is different to your suggestion, which -- to me -- seems completely opinionated. You're concerned about "an amazing finale" that no longer exists after you've fought the boss 100 times over.

I still have plenty of fun shielding Autumn's torrent of spore clouds and trying to get an area I'm not blinded at in the final phase of the battle. It would reduce my enjoyment of the battle immensely to have that taken away, especially with nothing to replace it. Your suggestion would honestly lessen my enjoyment of the game.

I guarantee you that players are still feeling a rush/urgency once the final head is left.

I'm sure they do. Because that's how the hydra still works. My suggestions are in the event that they have to have their special abilities removed at the end.

Again, this only happens at the very beginning. Once players get familiar with the fight, it's no longer scary. It's impossible to make a player relive the same emotions they experienced the first time they fought a boss fight. Any boss fight becomes a chore after you've mastered it.

As I said earlier, the bosses are not a chore for me. If a boss felt like a chore, I probably wouldn't play the game at all. The only bosses that feel like they're actually a waste of my time is the Queen Bee, because she isn't tethered to me and can often swoop at a point where a shielding isn't possible due to dodging another bee.

It has to deal with the fact that players are stripped of S-ranks that should be theirs when a boss spams a season move 5 times before each individual head slam.

Yeah. And just removing their abilities with nothing replacing them is a poor solution in my mind. I don't believe they should be able to spam their abilities either.

All that aside. You only talked about a few of my side-points regarding certain boss fights...not even all of them. But those comments about the boss fights are not the foundation of my argument. They're counterarguments to points that you used as lesser, supporting points.

Unless you can refute the statements that have to deal with your suggestions for the hydras, and unless you can address the problem that players are often stripped from a rightful S-rank, then this discussion will indicate that your suggestion should not be implemented.

My argument is "literally anything is better than the suggestion being proposed / how Winter Hydra currently exists in it's nerfed state, here is one such anything.' I'm not arguing for my single potential suggestion of how to change the fight, I'm arguing against yours and Chaldo's. And for Winter Hydra to be un-headram-moded into something else. Because I didn't know Winter Hydra had been changed until yesterday.

If you're expecting a point by point debate club style discussion on this... this isn't something I have enough of an investment in to churn out pages upon pages of text over. Because this isn't debate club. It's a videogame suggestion forum. Arguments can be boiled down to subjective "I would / would not enjoy this" statements and they're still perfectly valid, because videogames are about entertainment first and foremost. I am against things that would reduce my entertainment and that I could imagine would reduce entertainment for the average player. I have no reason to believe the average player would receive memorable experience of killing a watered down final hydra that has no realistic risk of even damaging them. In fact, I get the impression they would wonder if the fight was bugged, since the hydra was no longer using their special attack during their season and nothing else was happening.

And conversely, just because someone is willing to post longer arguments doesn't inherently mean their suggestion should or should not be implemented. I'm... pretty sure that's not how this works.

Last edited:

Chaldo

Rabby
Ice beam, spore cloud and fire breath all have realistic risks of damaging anyone.
How is the headslam any different? The headslam does more damage to the player, so it's more of a risk than ice beam and spore cloud. I'm not including the fire since it's a broken mechanic that can fill an entire room which will ensure death.
Yeah. And just removing their abilities with nothing replacing them is a poor solution in my mind. I don't believe they should be able to spam their abilities either.
You're replacing their ability with the headslam which is far more dangerous. The hydras shouldn't be able to use their abilities at all when they're the last ones left because there is quite literally no difficulty in that. The difficulty of their abilities comes when it is combined with other hydras attacking you, but if the lone hydra uses it's ability, you have time to guard or move away from it, and the hydra can't hurt you because it's wasting time on the ability, so it all ties into head-slamming in the end.
If you're expecting a point by point debate club style discussion on this... this isn't something I have enough of an investment in to churn out pages upon pages of text over.
You don't need to. MLG and I proved that your previous suggestions to change the fight would either make it imbalanced, more tedious for no real reason, or change literally nothing. If you can think of a better solution for any of the hydra's abilities when they're left alone, post them, and we'll determine if they're an optimal changes as a group.

If you're expecting a point by point debate club style discussion on this... this isn't something I have enough of an investment in to churn out pages upon pages of text over. Because this isn't debate club. It's a videogame suggestion forum. Arguments can be boiled down to subjective "I would / would not enjoy this" statements and they're still perfectly valid.

Point by point in a discussion like this one would eventually erupt into a thesis, since text boxes only expand over time. So no worries there. That's not fun for anyone.

Just as an aside: The absolute core of an argument for a video game would come from preference, yes. However, there are general things that majorities tend to agree with, and certain higher-up biases that fail to see certain things. That's what compels the argumentative aspect of these discussions. Enough valid points belonging to an agreed-upon "necessity" in a game is required to "validate" a person's suggestion. If a suggestion goes against those agreed-upon "necessities", then it is generally deemed "invalid". Sure, everyone can suggest what they want at the end of the day. But not much progress is made without sufficient reasoning and a clear outcome of the overall discussion. If you're referring to the long posts Chaldo and I tend to make, it's less about "impressing with length" and more about "supporting with reasons".

Anyway, who cares about what I'm saying right now?

I agree, a hydra being able to spam their attack multiple times in a row while giving you no opportunity to attack is pretty unfair and unfun. You and Chaldo were arguing to throw the baby out with the bathwater and reduce the final hydra to a chore. I disagree. I wouldn't mind if they were limited to one use of their breath attack between however many headrams, but I guess even that would risk certain death if you entered the battle with a really low damage build and left Summer as your final hydra.

I'm not arguing for my single potential suggestion of how to change the fight, I'm arguing against yours and Chaldo's. And just removing their abilities with nothing replacing them is a poor solution in my mind. I don't believe they should be able to spam their abilities either.

Well if I'd known that, things would've been easier. Your initial response to my suggestion on the discord made me think that you didn't care much about the problem -- and that for unknown reasons. Of course, a good part of that likely falls on me, hm? It'd help though if you pointed out which points you agreed with and which points you disagreed with specifically when responding to an idea. xD

If that's the case then I understand. A spectrum exists from "perpetual seasonal spamming" to "perpetual head ramming" and you're not in favor of either. That's fair. Then for the condition where only 1 hydra is left, how about removing all rng? And instead creating X consistent seasonal attacks followed by Y consistent head rams, with the time expectations being fairly adjusted accordingly? X and Y can be different for the various hydras, depending on how much downtime the seasonal attack creates and how intimidating it is. This would create A/B for autumn, C/D for summer, and E/F for winter. As you stated, a problem could still be run into for summer. Then how about extremes in C/D, such as C=1 and D=5? Alternatively, the room could be changed so that only a maximum of N fire trails exist only when summer hydra is the only hydra left alive. The latter suggestion would cause all flame damage to be the player's fault.

Last edited:

Own

How is the headslam any different? The headslam does more damage to the player, so it's more of a risk than ice beam and spore cloud. I'm not including the fire since it's a broken mechanic that can fill an entire room which will ensure death.

The headslam is the most telegraphed and easily dodged attack in the entire game - you can see the hydra stare at a player, stiffen upwards and then lunge towards them. By itself it is less of a threat than a Rabby biting at a player. It's also one of the most synergy-oriented attacks. It only becomes a problem in any of these circumstances:

1. You are dodging a spore cloud.
2. You are blinded.
3. You are dodging an ice beam.
4. You are walking on slippery ice.
5. You are dodging a fire trail.
6. You are avoiding walking into flames.
7. You're distracted by another hydra.

Without any of these elements, or any other, a single hydra headramming cannot hurt you if you are holding left while on the right side of the room, or holding right on the left side. It's also infinitely easier to perfect guard it without any of those risks being present.

The headslam could do 9999 damage on contact in headslam-loop-mode and it still would not be even remotely dangerous, unless you were trying to perfect guard it. I'm not seeing how the headslam could considered dangerous on it's own.

You don't need to. MLG and I proved that your previous suggestions to change the fight would either make it imbalanced, more tedious for no real reason, or change literally nothing. If you can think of a better solution for any of the hydra's abilities when they're left alone, post them, and we'll determine if they're an optimal changes as a group.

I don't see where you 'proved' anything? You argued against it. Just because you two didn't like the idea of being blinded during Autumn's final stand, slippery during Winter's or a smaller field with Summer's doesn't... mean any concrete? Proved is a weird word to use when I still think they're workable solutions, even if maybe not optimal solutions. What I'm struggling to see is why you think headslam mode is fine, unless you're going purely off of the basis that 'More Potential Damage = More Danger.' Having a Monkey/GiantThornWorm throw a Thorn Worm at you inflicts massive damage on contact, but I'm pretty sure a jumpkin biting presents more actual danger than the risk of being hit by that attack.

I'd be happy with one single distraction or difficulty being present that could make the headram even the smallest threat. It doesn't have to be infinite blindness or a ring of fire, but it has to be something that makes it more involved than Left Arrow Key, Tap Right, Mash Z, Wait, Right Arrow Key, Tap Left, Mash Z.

Chaldo

Rabby
The headslam is the most telegraphed and easily dodged attack in the entire game
If you think that's the case, and you don't want that to be their final attack as the last one left, suggest changes disregarding what you previously mentioned because I will be soon refuting them since you seem to have missed my points.
It's also one of the most synergy-oriented attacks.
Exactly why forcing them to do any sort of skill as the last one alive would be fruitless. A singular hydra cannot synergize anything with it's abilities or headslams since it can only do one at a time.
I don't see where you 'proved' anything?
Autumn's blindness would force players to run around rather than using their skill to create more damage, and it would hinder their ability to attack because they can't see where it is. Both of these things make the fight unfair and take longer for absolutely no reason.
Winter's icy floors literally changes nothing. If the floors are made icy when he's the last one alive, I'm still just standing in one spot and p-guarding until he dies like normal. If you're not good enough to p-guard him, running around is made easier by the ice that makes you move farther than normal which allows you to avoid the hydra's headslam completely.
You seemingly didn't read my previous statement about Summer. I like your idea because it's not just a room slowly filling with endless fire to the point of inevitable death, but it's an enclosed area that forces skill out of the player in the form of p-guards while letting them completely avoid damage.
By itself it is less of a threat than a Rabby biting at a player.
This is gold. Obviously rabbies are more difficult since they can instantly break your shield and never get infinitely stunned by basic attacks.

It's also one of the most synergy-oriented attacks.
Exactly why forcing them to do any sort of skill as the last one alive would be fruitless. A singular hydra cannot synergize anything with it's abilities or headslams since it can only do one at a time.

That's actually the point he's using to justify his argument. The argument is that some kind of synergy is required to make the slam a threat -- to make the hydra still maintain "boss status". I don't think it's necessarily impossible to implement a skill that a lone hydra can't synergize with.

I don't see where you 'proved' anything?
Autumn's blindness would force players to run around rather than using their skill to create more damage, and it would hinder their ability to attack because they can't see where it is. Both of these things make the fight unfair and take longer for absolutely no reason.
Winter's icy floors literally changes nothing. If the floors are made icy when he's the last one alive, I'm still just standing in one spot and p-guarding until he dies like normal. If you're not good enough to p-guard him, running around is made easier by the ice that makes you move farther than normal which allows you to avoid the hydra's headslam completely.
You seemingly didn't read my previous statement about Summer. I like your idea because it's not just a room slowly filling with endless fire to the point of inevitable death, but it's an enclosed area that forces skill out of the player in the form of p-guards while letting them completely avoid damage.

Own probably means that the idea of resulting purely to head slamming hasn't been justified, not that his own idea has or has not been justified. The discussion hasn't ended yet, so he isn't wrong.

By itself it is less of a threat than a Rabby biting at a player.
This is gold. Obviously rabbies are more difficult since they can instantly break your shield and never get infinitely stunned by basic attacks.

"Threat" is a semi-relative term that depends on the "units" or circumstances that you're using. Damage is usually considered in what is "threatening", but the challenge in managing the attack is what has the strongest impact. For instance, an elite bee in a 185% run can instakill you, but no one would consider an elite bee a "threat" compared to most other enemies.

Similarly, if slimes always did 1-hit kills and elite boars/elite bots pre-nerf always did 1-10 damage, the elite boars/bots could still be considered more of a "threat" due to the challenge in management (at least for melee).

I actually think Own has a point here. A rabby on the attack can be much more of a threat due to their low start-up and their endless attacks (assuming you don't shield but stay within range). This is especially the case from a relative stand point, where an elite rabby can take off ~50% hp from an attack on early floors. Running in unwise directions can also get you hit. A lone ramming hydra, by contrast, will never hit a player that is simply moving left/right (and it's a boss). So despite the noticeable amount of damage, it's less threatening. It's not as much about shield damage or even flinching as it is about the ease of managing the boss itself and avoiding damage. Your shield doesn't have to break if you're always moving. And like no bosses flinch so that's pretty much a given.