Meaning clarifications

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
I would leave them in English, but then again, I'm a Swede and we have a really weak tradition of translating stuff :D

If you think most of your audience will "get" why you didn't translate it, then you could probably leave it alone! You could also just skip the programming reference entirely, if it's giving you a headache, and have him continue with his "announcements".

Sort of like:

Code:
Unlocking Weapons.
Combat Protocol 'Marisa' Activated.

res7less

Jumpkin
skip the programming reference
I wouldn't want that since I personally liked that and I'm sure others would too. I'm thinking about inserting a sentence above it which in russian says something like "Starting protocol" so the audience understands, that the rest wasn't translated on purpose and not by mistake.

res7less

Jumpkin
Okay, I think I got it. In the first line I put "ACTIVATING COMBAT SYSTEMS" in russian, which was an exact fit into the first line, to leave the second one empty to separate the russian text from the english lines of code. I also put another [pp] before UnlockWeapons() since it's no longer the first text that appears. I think altogether it's valid solution, thanks for all the suggestions that led me to it! :)

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Sounds interesting, please elaborate!
It's possible to reprogram some elements of those games using a few nifty tricks. It's very, very complicated to get even somewhat into it, but it felt really satisfying to pull it off on a real cartridge.

Basically, everything on the game is stored in hexadecimal, as in, numbers of base sixteen. Each digit goes from 0 to 9, then a to f, giving you an equivalent of 16 in decimal (base ten) digits. With the number of items and Pokémon, these have to have a cap of this number. However, the spaced used to define that Pokémon/item, if it is beyond the number actually implemented, is normally miscellaneous other data interpreted in the wrong way, as there was very limited space on a cartridge.

When you use an item, it redirects the code to a certain place, allowing it to perform a certain function. With some glitch items, the place in the code they jump to can be edited by the player, such as, for an item known in Yellow as "ws m", the Pokémon stored in your current box.

This means that, adding certain Pokémon to your box in a certain order allows you to spell out a code. Seen as it's very difficult to spell out code with Pokémon, some clever people wrote an ASM script to redirect code to your items pack, spelled out with Pokémon. This is because these Pokémon are stored in hexadecimal, and their collection of numbers can be read in many different ways. When you're displaying a Pokémon, or using it in battle, the digits operate in the normal way. When stored in a PC box, they line up certain numbers which, when read as code, spell out a jump code to redirect the code to your item pack, where it's much easier to obtain items to spell out your code.

This link here shows the entire list of addresses you can edit by doing something like this. The codes I was writing loaded a certain hexadecimal digit into a register, then inserted that hexadecimal digit in the register into a specified position in the Random Access Memory (RAM).

Doing this means I could do all sorts of stuff - morph wild Pokémon into species which didn't exist, which I then caught and their cries appearing in the Pokédex often lasted over a minute and sounded hilarious. I could battle a trainer who manages to one-shot my entire team, I could overflow the stats of my Pokémon such that my Mew had 25565 attack, i could activate a walk through walls cheat, I could change the music tracks... the possibilities were practically endless. The only things I couldn't do involved having a script run automatically over and over - that needs access to the ROM (Read Only Memory, hence why you can't edit it).

If you want some amazing videos, here are some of my favourites. Beware though, if you watch any of these, you spend all night and all of the next day watching every single one that goes around. I've only scratched the surface of what's possible as well.

The ZZAZZ Glitch reprograms the game into Pong. (this guy's a wizard, a god among the community)
The same guy creates a "Creepypasta" save file.
Chickasaurus uses a glithched map and two linked emulators to catch a Mew in the most absurd circumstances.

These games are incredibly broken. If you want a new hobby for 5 months, try getting into it. It's hilarious.

res7less

Jumpkin
Doing this means I could do all sorts of stuff - morph wild Pokémon into species which didn't exist, which I then caught and their cries appearing in the Pokédex often lasted over a minute and sounded hilarious. I could battle a trainer who manages to one-shot my entire team, I could overflow the stats of my Pokémon such that my Mew had 25565 attack, i could activate a walk through walls cheat, I could change the music tracks... the possibilities were practically endless. The only things I couldn't do involved having a script run automatically over and over - that needs access to the ROM (Read Only Memory, hence why you can't edit it).
Haha, that sounds like fun indeed, but also like work where you are not allowed to take away your eyes from the screen for a moment in order not to screw up a single digit, that would undo the work of several hours or so :D

I'll definitely have a look into this as it's sounds entertaining, but regarding a hobby, I wouldn't want to put any obstacles between myself and my current hobby of translating a certain game :p

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
I agree with leaving the "code" in english but naming the start up sequence in the translated language (I believe you can use any letters when entering a name for something without it causing problems when you're coding. I could be wrong since I hardly know anything about coding but even if I am, it would still work well in a game dialogue) :p

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Haha, that sounds like fun indeed, but also like work where you are not allowed to take away your eyes from the screen for a moment in order not to screw up a single digit, that would undo the work of several hours or so :D
Surprisingly it's much easier than you might think, as it's mainly a turn based game. Stuff doesn't usually happen until you press a button. When reprogramming games like Super Mario Bros, that's when it gets difficult :p

I should really get back into it sometime. However, I mainly ended up just trying stuff out, and the stuff I did discover was really of minor significance. In case you were wondering, I found out that you can underflow your money from (hexadecimal) 00xxxx to FFxxxx, meaning you now have over 2,550,000 Pokémon dollars, and there's a discrepancy on emulators where this doesn't work.

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
I would leave them in English,
I would not.
The "function" may be more realistic in english, but the function name/decription (in this case) is very 'descriptive' in what it does. It informs the player about Phasemans status.
UnlockWeapons() is about telling the player that Phaseman will attack the player. Therefor it should be translated.

res7less

Jumpkin
UnlockWeapons() is about telling the player that Phaseman will attack the player
I'm fairly sure the player will find that out anyway in a couple of seconds from that message :D Furthermore, the informative part is now being taken over by the translated "....ACTIVATING COMBAT SYSTEMS"-part, while the rest is just so that it looks cool!

res7less

Jumpkin
Question about

Region: Winterland
LocalID: SantaFae_Nanana01

"Les Tres Bells"..okay, what the heck? :D Is it supposed to be like half french with "Bells" as a pun for "beatuiful" from french and the english word "bell"?

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
"Les Tres Bells"..okay, what the heck? :D Is it supposed to be like half french with "Bells" as a pun for "beatuiful" from french and the english word "bell"?
The first two words are French, the last is English. So really it's just a fancy way of saying "The Three Bells". Translate that how you wish :p

res7less

Jumpkin
Here's another one:

Region: Winterland
LocalID: SantaFae_Tokido_preTemple01
Part 5 of 7

What did the Fairy Dust fall from? And what did it fall on?

GarlicJelly

The first two words are French, the last is English. So really it's just a fancy way of saying "The Three Bells". Translate that how you wish :p
I would spend hours trying to figure out the best pun to make with the translation. To just go "The Three Bells" in another language is boring IMO. It's their band name and it should be a bit more clever than the simple meaning of it.

In swedish you could translate bell into "klocka" which also means clock, so in theory I could give them the name "Klockan Tre" which translates to Three o'clock. I'm keeping all the essential information from the original name but make it more interesting and clever by playing some with the words. :p Maybe you could use the words Trio or Tripple to make a pun work in another language. ;)

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Les Tres Bells

Yeah, I imagine that pun being a bit tough to pull off in cyrillic, so you might need to pull forth the wordplay power you used on Phaseman, or just give them a regular old band name :D

What did the Fairy Dust fall from? And what did it fall on?

The context is veiled from the reader, but it's no big secret (it just has no exposition). The fairy dust falls from the Elder Fae! That's why they have a little particle effect that no other fae has.
When an elder dies, after a while the dust will begin to fall from a different fae, and that fae becomes the new elder of that season! There will probably be a sidequest related to this at some point

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Looks like I misread the post, not realising "bel" was a French word :oops: Anyway, by "translate that how you wish" I didn't mean just translate it, I meant "in what ever way you feel is appropriate". I guess that's more of English slang rather than my bad typing though :p

res7less

Jumpkin
keeping all the essential information from the original name but make it more interesting and clever by playing some with the words
you might need to pull forth the wordplay power you used on Phaseman

...ACTIVATING PUN POWER
SetStrength(9001);

The fairy dust falls from the Elder Fae!
Ah! I reckoned as much that the context would be self-explanatory for the Fae, but not instantly understood by the player. I still needed to understand it myself to grant it the proper translation, though. Thanks!

TsReaper

Boar
The third item Lurifix(the caveling blocking the way to TaiMing) asks us to collect is called "Master Con's playbook". Who is Master Con and what's a "playbook"?

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
I think, by Master Con, they are referring to the word "con" which is the act of persuading someone into doing something by lying to them, or, in the noun sense, the instance of someone doing this. I'm not quite sure what a playbook is though, although typing "define playbook" into Google tells me it's a book of strategies used by a sports team, mainly in American Football. I guess this could be extended to gambling when talking about how to cheat.

GarlicJelly

I think, by Master Con, they are referring to the word "con" which is the act of persuading someone into doing something by lying to them, or, in the noun sense, the instance of someone doing this. I'm not quite sure what a playbook is though, although typing "define playbook" into Google tells me it's a book of strategies used by a sports team, mainly in American Football. I guess this could be extended to gambling when talking about how to cheat.
It's basically a book full of tricks to fool people into doing something you want them to do.